Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Wait - I thought the Paleo-fanboys here go nuts about anything that can't be served raw, such as legumes. The whole reason beans and legumes are a no-no is because you have to prepare them and can't eat them raw.

Guess what: you can't eat potatoes raw.

So even according to the Paleo rules, potatoes are a no-no.

Unless of course, you're not really going by the Paleo rules, and are instead going by some random internet guy's rules, and calling it Paleo, even though it isn't.

In which case, carry on.
I love it. Yet another informative paleo extremist post by Anon.
I went out to eat this weekend and had some pasta. OH NOOOOES! I must not be Paleo! The horror!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I wonder if the mild autism symptoms improved due to the fact that you eat less grains? Esp gluten, b/c I've read that autism symptoms improve quite a lot on a gluten free diet.
That's pretty much exactly what he said.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
WOWie, I started a hot topic here I was shocked at first and tried to evaluate my eating habit of being a long time vegetarian, tho I am not vegan. At first it made sense to me of some things I read on the "Paleo Diet", but now I know I surly could not go back to eating meat for numerous of reason, and especially raw or not fully cooked. I eat fish, so that wouldn't be a problem. Then again, I only eat certain fish like salmon and cod. It really may work for some folks but I feel our genes play a role of our health issues and in time as we age we will develop health issues no matter what we eat. It is my opinion and if you don't like it, sue me

Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
WOWie, I started a hot topic here I was shocked at first and tried to evaluate my eating habit of being a long time vegetarian, tho I am not vegan. At first it made sense to me of some things I read on the "Paleo Diet", but now I know I surly could not go back to eating meat for numerous of reason, and especially raw or not fully cooked. I eat fish, so that wouldn't be a problem. Then again, I only eat certain fish like salmon and cod. It really may work for some folks but I feel our genes play a role of our health issues and in time as we age we will develop health issues no matter what we eat. It is my opinion and if you don't like it, sue me
Believe what you want and eat what you want. No one's gonna sue you.

But fwiw, don't eat raw meat. That's just nasty. Eat your fish, have some chicken, lots of eggs (best thing ever), maybe the occasional burger or steak (all fully cooked), fruit, and a crap-ton of veggies (as much as you can eat). Doesn't really get much healthier than that.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Looks like they grabbed Cordain between speaking events or something, but some good info to be had here.

The Paleo Diet Explained - YouTube

Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Why People Fail On A Paleo Diet | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 PM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
Paleo is not scientific, just a cult of people who believe the "outside in" (ie "this is how our ancestors lived so it must be true") approach to nutrition.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Paleo is not scientific, just a cult of people who believe the "outside in" (ie "this is how our ancestors lived so it must be true") approach to nutrition.
Yup, that's what it is... to the uneducated and misinformed.

The truth is that there is more scientific studies and data that support paleo/low carb lifestyles than there are that support traditional diets, where studies are "inconclusive" (the ones not supported by Big Pharma).

Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 AM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yup, that's what it is... to the uneducated and misinformed.

The truth is that there is more scientific studies and data that support paleo/low carb lifestyles than there are that support traditional diets, where studies are "inconclusive" (the ones not supported by Big Pharma).
Paleo followers aren't that much healthier or more informed than the "uneducated" about nutrition. They have a good grasp that our ancestors didn't eat grains & also understand saturated fats better than the public but everything else like eat a lot of meat, eat vegetables, etc- kind of b.s. and not rooted in any kind of true nutrition or science.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Paleo followers aren't that much healthier or more informed than the "uneducated" about nutrition. They have a good grasp that our ancestors didn't eat grains & also understand saturated fats better than the public but everything else like eat a lot of meat, eat vegetables, etc- kind of b.s. and not rooted in any kind of true nutrition or science.
Like i said above, this is true of those who don't put in the time and research.
It's no different than ANY diet existing in the world today. People eat the way they eat and don't bother to really understand what they are eating and what it's doing to their body. But the fact remains that the science and the results pertaining to various forms of low-carb or hunter/gatherer lifestyles are readily available and tend to be more conclusive and positive than the science for other diets. I see you've been postwhoring a bit and your posts pretty much all follow the Paleo guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss