Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 AM

467 posts, read 664,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Like i said above, this is true of those who don't put in the time and research.
It's no different than ANY diet existing in the world today. People eat the way they eat and don't bother to really understand what they are eating and what it's doing to their body. But the fact remains that the science and the results pertaining to various forms of low-carb or hunter/gatherer lifestyles are readily available and tend to be more conclusive and positive than the science for other diets. I see you've been postwhoring a bit and your posts pretty much all follow the Paleo guidelines.
Paleo is an "outside in" approach, rooted in some science, sure. The grains and saturated fats thing is true, the rest of it- Yes I have eaten a paleo-esque diet for some time, am quite familiar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:35 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Sounds like you eat more "Primal" like I do.
I agree that the original Paleo diet is very extreme.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 16,372 times
Paleo-ish here. About 6 months ago... hunting for a way to get rid of some long term (full life) issues that I knew was related to foods but needed to pin-point on my own. Docs had diagnosed all sorts of things.... asthma (disagree), chronic sinusitis (yep... but WHY?), allergies to just about everything in environment.... then.... no allergies at all..... etc. I started by drastically reducing dairy (used to love love love ice cream and cheese). But I still wasn't feeling the way I thought I should. Intense post nasal pretty much 24/7. Researched on line... found Paleo. Got books/read. Researched. Greatly reduced sugar. I say reduced only that I at times have a bit of something that includes sugar.... and sometimes I do it up big and pay for it later in feeling unwell again (had Selmon's Bread Pudding with icecream after dinner at the restaurant last night.... haven't had icecream since I cut out dairy well over a year ago). Post-nasal... pretty much gone with the no sugar/no dairy decisions.... it comes back when I have any of that... but not nearly to the degree it once did as I mostly avoid those foods. Husband does not make effort to eat Paleo but will eat what I cook. 5 year old son tends to just want the crap he had gotten used to and sometimes refuses to eat what is offered. His choice to refuse. When he's hungry he will eat. He's eating better now than he did before I found Paleo. He has his own health issues and needs reduced dairy as well and drinks almond milk and sometimes coconut milk and has since before I found Paleo. Ultimately, I cook and shop towards Paleo (or I prefer... "real foods" with no label) as much as I can, but at this point can't afford much organic and still can't do the grassfed meats that I would want to do. Eventually we will get there. Life is better this way. I feel so much better than I did before. I lost weight - about 20 lbs- with ease.... but weight loss was not the goal or reason for diet change and was not needed. But still.... I feel better. And if I decide every once in a great while to have a cinnamon butter role at Texas Roadhouse.... then so be it. I'm living life and living it healthier than I was previously and that is all that matters. So what if it isn't someone else's definition of "Paleo" or "Primal" or what ever tag anyone else wants to put on it. It's my lifestyle and I'm happy with it.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM

467 posts, read 664,638 times
Paleo never entirely worked for me; I am healthier and happier on a higher calorie diet that includes dairy and sugar; I eat less meat, fewer vegetables. Paleo is right about grains though.
Peat vs.*Paleo - The Danny Roddy Weblog - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health

Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Tried a new recipe this week. A tasty and filling alternative to oatmeal.

1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw pecans
saigon cinnamon to taste
pinch of salt
1/4 unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
Dab of local honey

Blend all ingredients until you get the texture you like. I blend as much as possible, other wise the nuts require too much chewing.
Heat in microwave or on stove top. Add extra almond milk if needed. Enjoy!
Eat for breakfast and this will last you at least until lunch. So satisfying.
You could add some whey protein if you like, too.

Not something I would do every day with all the Omega 6 PUFA, but in whole food form it's not too bad and a nice break from eggs once in a while.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Yeah, so will the oatmeal......

The meal you described wound be around 800~1000 calories depending on the details, a bowl of oatmeal with the same mass would only be around 200 or so. Most wouldn't even be able to eat a 800~1000 calorie bowl of oatmeal in one sitting.... I would hope that ~40% of someone's daily caloric intake would last them "at least until lunch".

And neither of these meals would be paleolithic.....

Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Tried a new recipe this week. A tasty and filling alternative to oatmeal.

1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw pecans
saigon cinnamon to taste
pinch of salt
1/4 unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
Dab of local honey

Blend all ingredients until you get the texture you like. I blend as much as possible, other wise the nuts require too much chewing.
Heat in microwave or on stove top. Add extra almond milk if needed. Enjoy!
You could add some whey protein if you like, too.

Not something I would do every day with all the Omega 6 PUFA, but in whole food form it's not too bad and a nice break from eggs once in a while.
Sounds good. There is a recipe on Dr. Davis's blog for a grain-free cereal that I've been wanting to try:
Maria Emmerich visits Wheat Belly | Wheat Belly Blog

Also, I made the chocolate bomb bars from Dr. Davis's blog last weekend and they're great. I like that they can be made in advance and I'm planning on bringing them to my friend's cabin this weekend so there's an alternative to the sugar loaded breakfasts they usually have.
Chocolate Bomb Bars | Wheat Belly Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss