Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, and it's not new. It's been around for years in various forms. It was quite the fad here in the health-wellness forum for a couple of months, and then it died the same death as all fad diets die, until you resurrected it just now.

Stay tuned for another month of argument on whose internet resource is better than whose, and which version of paleo is superior to which other version, and semantics arguments about how if you're eating dairy, you aren't eating paleo (yes you are! No you're not! My sources say yes! Well your sources are unreliable! Oh yeah? Well my sources are better looking than your sources! Nuh uh, your sources are ugly, mine are clearly the best looking...etc. etc. etc.)
The irony of this post (first reply to the thread) is just insane.

To the OP... if there is a thread about Paleo (which is an amazing lifestyle btw, that really works), AnonChick will be there to argue against it. Saddle up and enjoy the ride.

Meanwhile, for real information, go hang out on Mark Sisson's blog and forums at Mark's Daily Apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM

525 posts, read 760,597 times
Dr. Loren Cordain is valid. He said Paleolithic humans ate around 60 % of calories from ANIMAL SOURCES.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Dr. Loren Cordain isn't a medical doctor. He has a Masters and a PhD in exercise physiology and a general BS in health sciences. He doesn't even have an undergrad degree in nutrition. He *studied* it and participated in research on it. And then he wrote a book, and makes all his money by selling it.

In short, he's a salesman. Not a doctor. He might even be right - that Paleolithic Man got 60% of their food sources from animals. It's irrelevent, because we're not Paleolithic Man. We don't live the Paleolithic lifestyle, and most of the animals that existed during that Age are either extinct, or evolved. Just like we evolved. Except for those whose brains never expanded enough to acknowledge that the Paleolithic diet worked okay for Paleolithic man, except to the extent that their mortality rate was a lot lower than ours due to a lack of hygeine, being killed by the prey they tried to hunt down to eat, and well - living in a cave can't be the best possible way to increase your lifespan, what with bears and such living next door and no doors to keep them out.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Dr. Loren Cordain isn't a medical doctor. He has a Masters and a PhD in exercise physiology and a general BS in health sciences. He doesn't even have an undergrad degree in nutrition. He *studied* it and participated in research on it. And then he wrote a book, and makes all his money by selling it.

In short, he's a salesman. Not a doctor. He might even be right - that Paleolithic Man got 60% of their food sources from animals. It's irrelevent, because we're not Paleolithic Man. We don't live the Paleolithic lifestyle, and most of the animals that existed during that Age are either extinct, or evolved. Just like we evolved. Except for those whose brains never expanded enough to acknowledge that the Paleolithic diet worked okay for Paleolithic man, except to the extent that their mortality rate was a lot lower than ours due to a lack of hygeine, being killed by the prey they tried to hunt down to eat, and well - living in a cave can't be the best possible way to increase your lifespan, what with bears and such living next door and no doors to keep them out.
Now this post just made me giggle.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Again, I used the wrong term. Their life expectancy was lower than ours. Their mortality rate was higher.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Again, I used the wrong term. Their life expectancy was lower than ours. Their mortality rate was higher.
I knew what you meant--it's just that you were really on a roll. Or maybe you meant their immortality rate was lower. I read somewhere that the body of your average paleo-man or woman was similar to that of a bull rider in the rodeo today. Lots of broken bones that had mended all awry and then they went out and did it some more. But of course that's beside the point.

When they weren't trying to ride out an ice age, in many ways primitive man had it pretty good--they actually worked less than we do today, though of course there was no division of labor as we know it. They didn't own much stuff--couldn't really, b/c they couldn't take it with them what with wandering from place to place. I rather imagine that they had their favorite grove of walnut trees or a hunting ground where they run an animal into a corner and kill it. Not saying I want to go back--the food would gross me out for one thing, but I don't think it was as nasty, poor, brutish, and short as some would have you believe. Well maybe short.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
I'm really loving these threads.
The haters (who are gonna hate regardless) go out of their way to make up arguments about paleolithic man vs modern man and whatever else they can do denounce a diet that consists of eating natural, fresh foods that don't take a chemistry lab to create, or transform into something that is actually edible.

Natural protein is good, natural fat is good, natural carbs are good.

The "too restrictive" argument is really funny and a huge misconception..
EVERY diet, too someone who is in the losing weight stage (not maintenance) is restrictive. You are either going to restrict calories, restrict foods, or both. With paleo, most people don't restrict calories and the weight falls off. There are food restrictions in the beginning but you get used to it fairly easily since the food you are allowed to eat is so satiating and satisfying. Then once you fall into maintenance mode you can re-introduce some of those foods, in moderation, with little or no ill effect. Everyone will react differently so you experiment and see what works and what doesn't. Now it's easy to keep the weight off.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
"With paleo, most people don't restrict calories and the weight falls off"

Whether you realize it or not, the calorie consumption will be the reason the weight comes off. The foods on Paleo keep you satisfied longer so one does not eat as much. But it still comes down to calories in calories out.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
Boy, this turned into a hot topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
The OP has been on the diabetes forum quite a lot lately b/c her blood sugar is too high--not diabetic yet but headed that way. She weighs about 120 lbs so weight is not the issue here. (Veggienut, I hope you don't mind me doing this but I'm just telling what you've already said on the D forum.) So yes, in a sense this thread is about diabetes and I'm guessing that she figured that the folks on the weight loss forum would know more about the paleo diet.
That is okay you used my info on my post, stepka. This whole concept of what I was told and read thru me for a real loop. I've been a vegetarian for like 30 years now, but not a strict one (vegan). I've had tried to be vegan but it just didn't work for me. When I eat tofu, it never fills me up. But now that I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and hypothyroidism, I have to watch what I eat and make sure I eat. All of that thru me for a loop when it happened at once. I've never been sick but always healthy. Then when someone told me about the Paleo diet, it made me think even more to the point of questioning my present diet of dairy , eggs and fish. I've come to the conclusion that what I eat works for me, and meat would definitely not work for me in the ways the Paleo diet works.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 PM

9 posts, read 20,241 times
Quote:
Stay tuned for another month of argument on whose internet resource is better than whose, and which version of paleo is superior to which other version, and semantics arguments about how if you're eating dairy, you aren't eating paleo (yes you are! No you're not! My sources say yes! Well your sources are unreliable! Oh yeah? Well my sources are better looking than your sources! Nuh uh, your sources are ugly, mine are clearly the best looking...etc. etc. etc.)
Lol, so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss