Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The WW generally sounds like how a healthy vegetarian or pescitarian lives, but without the need to count points since it's all largely fruits and veggies with a weekly fish dish or two (for pesci's) and whole grains. What's interesting about being veg is that even tho you can eat crap you are limited in the crap you can eat because dairy and gelatin are in so many processed foods that a person just doesn't have all of it available. Plus having to be aware of the food you eat 24/7 increases the frequency of healthy choices. It's easier to eat whole. Since I joined my current department at work (as the only veg/now pesci) they are forced to have a few veggie options (options where I don't have to guess at the contents of a broth or sauce, so usually steamed) at every lunch meeting rather than the typical beef, chicken, pork options. That's good for everybody.
I agree that our daily diets should consist mostly of vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins. I think that's some common ground between us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree that our daily diets should consist mostly of vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins. I think that's some common ground between us.
It appears to be an optimal diet for most in so many ways. I don't know if it was in this thread, but I recently posted a study about IBDs (crohn's et al) and how a semi-veg diet resulted in high remission rates for these people. The typical suggested diet is low residue, but based on what I've been reading there is no evidence of remission with a low res diet. Talk about contrary.

Anyhow, we all have different preferences. Agreement only really matters among people who share a household.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
It appears to be an optimal diet for most in so many ways. I don't know if it was in this thread, but I recently posted a study about IBDs (crohn's et al) and how a semi-veg diet resulted in high remission rates for these people. The typical suggested diet is low residue, but based on what I've been reading there is no evidence of remission with a low res diet. Talk about contrary.

Anyhow, we all have different preferences. Agreement only really matters among people who share a household.
It's not so important to me that I AGREE with people on things - but I do like to discuss things in a mutually respectful manner - on this forum and in real life. Finding a common ground is a good way to humanize the other person and to encourage mutual respect.

It just seems like such common sense to eat mostly veggies and fruits, whole grains vs processed stuff, less sugar, less salt, high quality proteins, etc. Nearly everyone would benefit from such a diet - it sure beats the hell out of the typical American diet, anyway.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It's not so important to me that I AGREE with people on things - but I do like to discuss things in a mutually respectful manner - on this forum and in real life. Finding a common ground is a good way to humanize the other person and to encourage mutual respect.

It just seems like such common sense to eat mostly veggies and fruits, whole grains vs processed stuff, less sugar, less salt, high quality proteins, etc. Nearly everyone would benefit from such a diet - it sure beats the hell out of the typical American diet, anyway.
I think there may be some slight addiction going on. I went to lunch last week with a colleague and we shared a plate of veggie fried rice. It was a nice restaurant, to be clear. So, not crap food across the board. There was something in that rice, I'm guessing MSG. I could have eaten the whole plate myself. Even when I was no longer hungry I wanted more of it. That's the kind of stuff that's diet dangerous. It was up there with watermelon martinis. Also dangerous!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I think there may be some slight addiction going on. I went to lunch last week with a colleague and we shared a plate of veggie fried rice. It was a nice restaurant, to be clear. So, not crap food across the board. There was something in that rice, I'm guessing MSG. I could have eaten the whole plate myself. Even when I was no longer hungry I wanted more of it. That's the kind of stuff that's diet dangerous. It was up there with watermelon martinis. Also dangerous!
I got addicted to Grey Goose martinis two days ago myself! It was all I could do to extricate myself from their grasp!

Must have been something in those olives...

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I got addicted to Grey Goose martinis two days ago myself! It was all I could do to extricate myself from their grasp!

God, what I would do for a Grey Goose martini right now. No alcohol for me for the foreseeable future. Oysters and martinis no more.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
God, what I would do for a Grey Goose martini right now. No alcohol for me for the foreseeable future. Oysters and martinis no more.
OMG I would be wearing black for mourning. For a year.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
Quote:

Does Premium Vodka's Taste Live Up to Its Price Tag?

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Consumer/...1#.UETeyZY2dyu

Your comment reminded me of this story which I watched a few years back. Does status trump taste? GG has done a very good job of convincing people they have the world's best tasting vodka.

This, of course, doesn't only apply to vodka. Companies are good at convincing people they have the best and there's no need to look elsewhere. Clearly, adding the status element to a product doesn't hurt sales either. People like status.

It really does pay to experiment with a variety of brands rather than rely solely on slick advertising. I'm not implying you do, but plenty of people are.

I'm not much of a vodka drinker but after watching the above I had to try a few brands straight up for myself. GG is indeed lousy tasting vodka, and Smirnoff did taste better.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Does Premium Vodka's Taste Live Up to Its Price Tag?

Does Premium Vodka's Taste Live Up to Its Price Tag? - ABC News

Your comment reminded me of this story which I watched a few years back. Does status trump taste? GG has done a very good job of convincing people they have the world's best tasting vodka.

This, of course, doesn't only apply to vodka. Companies are good at convincing people they have the best and there's no need to look elsewhere. Clearly, adding the status element to a product doesn't hurt sales either. People like status.

It really does pay to experiment with a variety of brands rather than rely solely on slick advertising. I'm not implying you do, but plenty of people are.

I'm not much of a vodka drinker but after watching the above I had to try a few brands straight up for myself. GG is indeed lousy tasting vodka, and Smirnoff did taste better.
To each his own. I like vodka (though I don't drink hard liquor very often). Since vodka is one of the few hard liquors I like, I have tried several brands over the years. I prefer Grey Goose.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
What I'm talking about is the entire process - how the cows are raised, what they are fed, what growth/production hormones they are given, antibiotics, etc - when I say "processed."
There is a name for this, its called organic and there are organic low-fat milks as such your commentary still makes no sense.

Quote:
Olive oil and almonds are high fat foods as well - that's why we should only eat them in moderation. That's why I drink milk in moderation.

And that's also why I do not purchase milk or milk products from sources which use artificial hormones.
Yes, olive oil and almonds are also high in fat and as such can promote obesity as well. Talking about consuming these foods "in moderation" is meaningless, you consume dairy on a daily basis yet describe that as "in moderation". If you consume olive oil, almonds, dairy and other high fat foods all in "moderation" you can easily end up with a extremely high fat diet.

As I pointed out previously, milk naturally contains hormones in it. The only difference between dairy that has been produced by cattle given hormones and natural dairy is that the former may have a bit more hormones, but not dramatically so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss