Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I mean, if you have no symptoms of anything, all your medical tests come back great, you feel terrific, look healthy, and are never sick - I don't know how much healthier one can be than that. Or how else "health" can be determined.
Well, for example, you could be able to jog without it causing pain. There is another thread where you describe some of your past issues, I'm really not sure where the "picture of health" stuff is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Well, for example, you could be able to jog without it causing pain. There is another thread where you describe some of your past issues, I'm really not sure where the "picture of health" stuff is coming from.

How old are you? And how do you measure the state of your health? Please be specific.

And a fifty year old woman doesn't have to RUN in order to be the picture of health.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
How old are you? And how do you measure the state of your health? Please be specific.

And a fifty year old woman doesn't have to RUN in order to be the picture of health.
Don't be silly, of course you should be able to run at 50 in order to call yourself the picture of good health. If you can't run, you aren't there. Fifty isn't that old, and I know more people who can run at that age than those who can't.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Don't be silly, of course you should be able to run at 50 in order to call yourself the picture of good health. If you can't run, you aren't there. Fifty isn't that old, and I know more people who can run at that age than those who can't.
I can run. I choose not to, for a couple of reasons. First of all, I discovered when I was running regularly (in my twenties) that I was prone to shin splints. Secondly, because I don't think it's particularly good for my joints, boobs, and skin (I am "endowed" and I don't like to feel my chest jiggling and bouncing around when I run - and before you suggest it, I've tried all sorts of athletic bras).

I prefer power walking instead, which I do with no problems at all. I can walk at a very fast pace (4.5 mph) for literally hours.

So - like I said, it's not that I CAN'T run. In fact, I ran several times a few weeks ago - and decided once again, that it's not what I prefer to do for aerobic exercise. So I'm back to power walking, which I love.

One doesn't have to RUN to be healthy. And running poses more risk of injury than some other very effective forms of exercise.

As I have mentioned, I fell and tore my achilles tendon a year or so ago. Very painful, and very long recovery time. I'm not risking another injury unnecessarily.

So tell me - how would you measure a person's health? Please be specific.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I can run. I choose not to, for a couple of reasons. First of all, I discovered when I was running regularly (in my twenties) that I was prone to shin splints. Secondly, because I don't think it's particularly good for my joints, boobs, and skin (I am "endowed" and I don't like to feel my chest jiggling and bouncing around when I run - and before you suggest it, I've tried all sorts of athletic bras).

I prefer power walking instead, which I do with no problems at all. I can walk at a very fast pace (4.5 mph) for literally hours.

So - like I said, it's not that I CAN'T run. In fact, I ran several times a few weeks ago - and decided once again, that it's not what I prefer to do for aerobic exercise. So I'm back to power walking, which I love.

One doesn't have to RUN to be healthy. And running poses more risk of injury than some other very effective forms of exercise.

As I have mentioned, I fell and tore my achilles tendon a year or so ago. Very painful, and very long recovery time. I'm not risking another injury unnecessarily.

So tell me - how would you measure a person's health? Please be specific.
Calm down. The ability to run most certainly is an indicator of good physical health. If you choose not to do so, for whatever reason, that is your prerogative. There is no need to freak out like this as I didn't say you have to run. I said one should be able to run. Take a deep breath and step away from the computer.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Calm down. The ability to run most certainly is an indicator of good physical health. If you choose not to do so, for whatever reason, that is your prerogative. There is no need to freak out like this as I didn't say you have to run. I said one should be able to run. Take a deep breath and step away from the computer.
I'm quite calm. Maybe it's not me who needs calming.

By the way, please answer my question. How exactly would you define "picture of health?" Please be specific. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I'm quite calm. Maybe it's not me who needs calming.

By the way, please answer my question. How exactly would you define "picture of health?" Please be specific. Thanks.
I guess your tirade riddled with CAPS and bolded words is just your way to express yourself over a soothing cup of herbal tea.

I have never used the phrase "picture of health" outside of quoting on this thread and frankly think it is a rather stupid phrase. Were that the title of this thread, I would have never opened it. Your goal in hijacking this thread does not mean you get to force people to go along with it.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
And how do you measure the state of your health? Please be specific.
Like I said, its difficult to determine your overall health. There is no simple test that can determine it, what I find dubious is when people say they are the "picture of health" while they are eating foods known to be linked to disease and have health conditions. They ignore their risk factors and write the health conditions off as "genetic". Yet, if we take your case, your issues could have very well be caused by diet.

Diet plays a huge role in disease, but our medical system doesn't do much to acknowledge such. People know about some things, like that you shouldn't consume much cholesterol if you have high cholesterol, etc. But things like joint pain, skin rashes, acne, osteoporosis, cancers, etc....aren't typically associated with diet despite being correlated with diet.

Quote:
This doesn't make much sense, jogging is a basic activity and if you can't do it at 50 then there is something wrong with your health. That is true whether its your joints, heart, etc that is preventing you from doing it.

Jogging use to hurt my knees, but as I lost weight and change my diet things changed. Now I can jog for 30+ minutes and have no joint pain whatsoever. Power walking is not the same as jogging.....

Regardless, it sounds like you've accepted a number of things as "normal" for your age/family history and as a such consider yourself the "picture of health". I would suggest stepping back, and perhaps investigating whether your issues are diet related.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Running is a personal preference for a lot of people. I have always hated it, but I wanted to compete in a triathlon when I turned 50 so i embraced it. Shin splints happen mainly to new runners and or heal striking. They go away the more you run. I run a few times a week and am working my way towards a 1/2 marathon next year. Triathlons are a lot more fun though. But here is the thing, I do not particularly like running. I keep hoping that one day I am going to have an epiphany and love running. But running has improved my overall physical health so I am not going to give it up anytime soon. And really, nothing feels better than completing a run. When I am not running I am cycling, swimming and lifting weights.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I guess your tirade riddled with CAPS and bolded words is just your way to express yourself over a soothing cup of herbal tea.

I have never used the phrase "picture of health" outside of quoting on this thread and frankly think it is a rather stupid phrase. Were that the title of this thread, I would have never opened it. Your goal in hijacking this thread does not mean you get to force people to go along with it.
LOL, you think I am trying to hijack this thread? How so, exactly?

Methinks you may need a cup of herbal tea yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss