Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:03 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Which addictive properties does wheat contain? Also, you realize that anyone can become physicially dependent on anything, even if it doesn't contain "addictive properties?" What do you even mean by "addictive properties?" Wheat isn't a narcotic, nor does it contain trace amounts of narcotics. It's not cocaine, or alcohol. No idea where you're getting this "addictive properties" thing.

Yes, gluten-free has been shown to have a positive effect on -some- people with autism. Not all, and those people are in the -vast- minority of the mathematical set of "people who live on planet earth and consume food." So using that subset "some people with Autism" is really just tossing in a red herring and is irrelevent.

Next - high fructose corn syrup IS sugar. Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word "sugar." Sugar is a carbohydrate, appearing in two types: disaccharides and monosaccharides. They are present in fruits in the form of fructose, dairy in the form of lactose, your own blood in the form of glucose, and other food stuffs such as beets and sugar cane in the form of sucrose. There are other types - galactose (a naturally synthesized sugar in the human body and present in milk and sugar beets, among others) and maltose, which comes primarily from germinating seeds such as barley.

Corn's extracted sugar is primarily sucrose and fructose, and Montessi & Gang have engineered the ability to create an end product containing more fructose than the amount naturally contained in the corn.

But just like maple syrup, honey, and simple syrup from cane sugar, these are -all- forms of sugar. When crystallized, they become maple sugar, honey granules, sugar crystals, and - corn sugar.
What does wheat have in common with heroin and morphine?

The Addictive Properties of Wheat

Wheat is an Opiate -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

I am one of the rarer cases of people who have benefited from going gluten free as I am on the Autism spectrum. I also avoid dairy, soy, and eggs. My overall functioning has definitely improved over the years and my mental clarity is far better (no more brain fog). Socially, I am doing much better as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What does wheat have in common with heroin and morphine?

The Addictive Properties of Wheat

Wheat is an Opiate -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

I am one of the rarer cases of people who have benefited from going gluten free as I am on the Autism spectrum. I also avoid dairy, soy, and eggs. My overall functioning has definitely improved over the years and my mental clarity is far better (no more brain fog). Socially, I am doing much better as well.
As many bloggers sites you can pull up demonizing wheat I can pull up just as many that refute them. So its a moot point. However, if wheat effects you negatively then you should avoid it. It sounds to me you have a host of dietary issues, so your story is your story. It really only applies to you.
Most people can eat wheat without any negative effects whatsoever.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 AM

221 posts, read 483,924 times
Monsanto.

Anyway, #1 food in this country that's consumed is refined processed flour. The nation as a whole eat too much of it. Then you have foods that for the majority are GMO'd that essentially the soil has less nutrients (if any) causing these foods to become filled with nutrients. We're all lacking in nutrients in one way or other unless one farms and eats foods filled with nutrients which is rare these days.

I still eat some wheat products but not as much.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Monsanto.

Anyway, #1 food in this country that's consumed is refined processed flour. The nation as a whole eat too much of it. Then you have foods that for the majority are GMO'd that essentially the soil has less nutrients (if any) causing these foods to become filled with nutrients. We're all lacking in nutrients in one way or other unless one farms and eats foods filled with nutrients which is rare these days.

I still eat some wheat products but not as much.
You can avoid Monsanto buy eating organic products from small local producers.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,165 times
Quote:
The USDA bears blam for the the idiotic "food pyramid" that encouraged a large level of consumption of "healthy grains" which is code for SEMI-DWARF FRANKENFOOD WHEAT. Read the book "Wheat Belly" for more details as discussed on other threads regarding weight gain, gluten intolerance, etc. Wheat has a very high glycemic index, more than two spoonfulls of sugar. Eliminate this food from your diet and watch the weight rapidly come off without much effort. Of course, you will suffer from withdrawls, but after a few weeks you will not miss it at all. The Paleo diet is a good alternative. Eliminate HCFS from your diet, processed foods, and eat local fruits and vegetables when possible.
I agree.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
As many bloggers sites you can pull up demonizing wheat I can pull up just as many that refute them. So its a moot point. However, if wheat effects you negatively then you should avoid it. It sounds to me you have a host of dietary issues, so your story is your story. It really only applies to you.
Most people can eat wheat without any negative effects whatsoever.
It is true that they can eat wheat. However, they should be aware that modern wheat and its derivations have a very high glycemic index compared to wheat of long ago due to the dwarf high yield varieties grown now.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I agree.
Thanks. I think the word is getting out now and more people are paying attention to the foods they buy and eat

Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 PM

Look at the total number of ingredients in a hamburger bun. I counted up to 30 from a store brand product last week.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I think the word is getting out now and more people are paying attention to the foods they buy and eat
People need to pay attention to what they eat. They wont but they should. However diet fads like Paleo are not the answer. The average person will not eliminate a food group, nor should they.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM

326 posts, read 703,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Every time the cause of our growing girth is brought up, the fur flies. Have you noticed that? Obesity is attributed to:

High Fructose Corn Syrup (hfcs)
fast foods
snack foods
sugar
carbs (mostly white ones)
sedentary lifestyle
genetics
hormones
too many calories
wrong type of calories
sodas
a virus
too many fats
not enough fats
wrong kind of fats
food additives
genetically-modified foods

Did I miss any other causes?
Another cause was an imbalance in the healthy bacteria in our bodies --

and then there is this...

A new take on obesity's cause: Technology investment - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss