Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
But look at the American diet and what's actually being taught.

I highly doubt people understand what exactly are calories for example (most don't know how many are in carb/protein/fat) and how foods affect our insulin level, glucagon level, the effect on metabolism, mineral absorption and so forth. All that people that think they want to lose weight is to cut calories and eat what they think are healthy.

Yes, I do believe that people need to be responsible for their own body but seeing the way things are in this country filled with so much misinformation I don't fully blame people either. You almost have to research the subject as your own hobby to get the information you need.

While one can blame others for their health issues the country as a whole wouldn't be healthy if people didn't help each other out either. Obviously those people that could use help needs to ask for help but in my opinion I just feel bad for these people. And some people are really trying to break the habit of the typical American diet.
I think a lot of people just don't care. Everyone is overweight so it's kind of the norm now. They want to eat foods they like, they want the convenience, they want to sit around watching TV, and they just don't care if they're healthy. They want the lifestyle they want and they aren't motivated to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think a lot of people just don't care. Everyone is overweight so it's kind of the norm now. They want to eat foods they like, they want the convenience, they want to sit around watching TV, and they just don't care if they're healthy. They want the lifestyle they want and they aren't motivated to change.
That is very true. Being overweight is the new norm. The fit people now stand out, not the fat ones. And obesity is everywhere, with morbid obesity following close behind.
The bottom line is that we are never going to be able to change the fast food places, the hormones, the corporate agriculture stranglehold over the U.S., or the greed that comes from selling low cost, high profit foods. As individuals we need to claim personal responsibility and navigate ourselves through the toxic food minefield. No one is forcing anyone to put crap into their bodies. We need to look at ourselves and say,'this is not acceptable'!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM

221 posts, read 483,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
They don't and even if they do they have to fix something they were never taught before so it's likely people will give up early on especially the older they are.

If you look at other cultures there are a lot of things that doesn't exist in other countries aside from food.

People drive here. Everywhere. So many drive-thru's not just fast food but pharmacy, dropping off mail, and anything that can be made into a drive-thru is made for convenience. It's the norm and people don't think of it. But walking to get groceries, ride the train or pick up mail? What's that? It doesn't happen unless you live in a big city with mass transit that's readily available where owning a car would be more of a hassle.

Look at the schools. So-called new food programs still negates nutritious food; pizza, chicken nuggets and all sorts of highly processed food are being served to our children not to mention snack & soda machines are somehow allowed to exist on school property. It's unheard of in other countries.

As much as United States compared to other third world countries have abundance of food, we are highly malnourished because of processed foods and foods that are grown with less nutritional value. Diseases are caused by malnourished bodies because the it isn't getting the necessary nutrients. Top it off with over prescribed medication, mental illness and everything that's practically medicated to hide the problem, people only want quick answers and remedies.

Plus we don't exactly live in a country that has history on appreciating food like say the French, Greeks and countries that take their time to harvest, cook and eat well. How many people do you all know families that cook every single day and doesn't buy anything from a box? It's very rare. Even we have few frozen pizza's as much as they are natural/organic kind. Our culture when it comes to eating is generally quick and easy for the most part.

Then you start throwing all these dieting ideas and philosophies not to mention the multi-billion dollar Rx and supplement industry that's always out there to confuse you. Government ties with big food corporations including dairy, corn, etc are all visible throughout any grocery stores not to mention many so-called organizations are backed by corporation if not have less interest in pushing people to eat healthy.

It's honestly a scary picture. As much as people think we are the best in everything or live in this sort of bubble, I think that's another problem is the mentality we have. That we don't care. In that sense I agree with you. We as Americans are a bit arrogant and not wanting change or apply what works in other countries. Sometimes it's political, sometimes pure ignorance and sometimes people are outright clueless with the mess we have.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is very true. Being overweight is the new norm. The fit people now stand out, not the fat ones. And obesity is everywhere, with morbid obesity following close behind.
The bottom line is that we are never going to be able to change the fast food places, the hormones, the corporate agriculture stranglehold over the U.S., or the greed that comes from selling low cost, high profit foods. As individuals we need to claim personal responsibility and navigate ourselves through the toxic food minefield. No one is forcing anyone to put crap into their bodies. We need to look at ourselves and say,'this is not acceptable'!
Nope, it isn't acceptable at all IMO. Can't force people to change though. My former roommate was the epitome of gluttony. I'd come home to her eating McDonald's at midnight, she would order a fried chicken salad with extra Ranch, always extra Ranch! Fast food, burgers, milkshakes, ice cream, and never a drop of exercise. Plus she smoked. She would always complain how tired she was - well, no wonder. She can be as fat as she wants, but I don't think I should have to cover her health expenes when she gets heart disease and diabetes in a few years.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Proposed bumper sticker:

Fat is the new thin.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 AM

374 posts, read 759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This is so true! I feel out of place almost everywhere I go. Just because I'm not overweight.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 AM

374 posts, read 759,184 times
I haven't been to Europe in over 10 years, but what a difference it was there! I spent a little time in Paris and almost every woman I saw was my size. I ended up buying more clothes than I had planned there because I could finally find my size.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Say what you want, one reason is that everybody is so afraid of the sun that they are not getting sufficient vitamin D. Here is an interesting article from Web MD which illustrates the problem in greater detail.

Obesity Linked to Lower Vitamin D Levels

People need 20 minutes of sunlight exposure every single day (with no sunscreen) to get enough vitamin D to be healthy. Less than 5 percent of the adult population have adequate Vitamin D levels.

20yrsinBranson
I find this very interesting. However I wonder is it that fat people dont like to go outside as much, or expose as much skin because their fat. In otherwords they are not as active, dont go out as much, or swim , they basically hide. So which is it?? Also can you supplement with vit D and the weight would come off??? These are interesting questions. Also everyone who lives in a cloudly/ rainy most of the year or dark 6 months of no sunlight area would be fat, so this kinda cant be true by those numbers because they are not fat.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I find this very interesting. However I wonder is it that fat people dont like to go outside as much, or expose as much skin because their fat. In otherwords they are not as active, dont go out as much, or swim , they basically hide. So which is it?? Also can you supplement with vit D and the weight would come off??? These are interesting questions. Also everyone who lives in a cloudly/ rainy most of the year or dark 6 months of no sunlight area would be fat, so this kinda cant be true by those numbers because they are not fat.
Vitamin D is integral in the maintenance of metabolic processes that keep a person healthy including the assimilation of Calcium and other nutrients in the body. Calcium is not only critical in bone health, which is well known, but also in the functioning of the neurological system. Although you can get vitamin D from supplements as with anything obtaining it from natural sources is infinitely better. Have you ever had the experience of being outside in the sunshine (even in the winter) and suddenly feeling wonderful and having a burst of energy? Of course, everyone has experienced this. In addition to the much needed Vitamin D enhancing the neurological functioning of the body, the sunshine stimulates the endocrine system to release endorphins which make you feel wonderful. In addition the sunlight contains photons which result in chemical processes in the body which actually deliver energy on a cellular level. Therefore, although receiving Vitamin D via supplementation is better than nothing, receiving it directly from sunlight is much more beneficial.

By taking supplements the weight will not "come off", but you will be more energized and feel more like moving and doing things, if that answers your question.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
While I am sure Vitamin D has something to do with it, I sincerely doubt it's as influential as the loads of crap everyone eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss