Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM

326 posts, read 704,100 times

Advertisements

The relationship between vitamin D and obesity is a perplexing one. It is certainly established that low serum vitamin D levels are associated with high BMI (Analysis of 10,000 Europeans, Analysis of 2600 Americans, In children) however, it is also very clear that vitamin D is not a weight loss pill (Study 1, Study 2, Review of studies).

What is very complicating are several animal studies that show vitamin D may actually promote weight gain. When the receptor for vitamin D is knocked out the mice are resistant to high fat diets (Study 1, Study 2, Study 3) and overexpression of this receptor in fat cells leads to obese animals (Study), even one recent study mice given more vitamin D gained the greatest weight on a "Western diet" (Study). Yet in all these studies, the researchers were examining situations leading to weight gain. When looking at weight loss, vitamin D may have a more important role and higher levels seem to improve weight loss efforts (Study 1, Study 2, Review of studies), however I don't really care for how these studies were done and more research needs to be done in the area.

To sum it up vitamin D seems to play a role in weight change as it may facilitate faster weight gain or loss depending on energy consumption and activity level. Most vitamin D / weight loss press seems to be building off of the vitamin D status - BMI correlation as one is tempted to think that low vitamin D causes obesity. However, it can also be thought of as obesity causes low vitamin D, which may be a result of decreased liver function in converting vitamin D to the serum testable 25OH-Vitamin D or perhaps it is as simple as obese are typically less active and therefore not going into the sun as much.

Also, it is a very good point mentioned earlier that there may be more to sunshine than just vitamin D. I don't think there is much research on this topic though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
The USDA bears blam for the the idiotic "food pyramid" that encouraged a large level of consumption of "healthy grains" which is code for SEMI-DWARF FRANKENFOOD WHEAT. Read the book "Wheat Belly" for more details as discussed on other threads regarding weight gain, gluten intolerance, etc. Wheat has a very high glycemic index, more than two spoonfulls of sugar. Eliminate this food from your diet and watch the weight rapidly come off without much effort. Of course, you will suffer from withdrawls, but after a few weeks you will not miss it at all. The Paleo diet is a good alternative. Eliminate HCFS from your diet, processed foods, and eat local fruits and vegetables when possible.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The USDA bears blam for the the idiotic "food pyramid" that encouraged a large level of consumption of "healthy grains" which is code for SEMI-DWARF FRANKENFOOD WHEAT. Read the book "Wheat Belly" for more details as discussed on other threads regarding weight gain, gluten intolerance, etc. Wheat has a very high glycemic index, more than two spoonfulls of sugar. Eliminate this food from your diet and watch the weight rapidly come off without much effort. Of course, you will suffer from withdrawls, but after a few weeks you will not miss it at all. The Paleo diet is a good alternative. Eliminate HCFS from your diet, processed foods, and eat local fruits and vegetables when possible.
Wrong. People are the way they are because they eat too much. Period. No one should be eating processed crap. But wheat is not the bad guy. If you eat whole grains it is part of a healthy diet, no matter what your wheat belly guy says. HCFS is sugar. No one should be eating large quantities of it.
Blaming the food is not the answer. People asserting self control and responsibility is.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Vitamin D is integral in the maintenance of metabolic processes that keep a person healthy including the assimilation of Calcium and other nutrients in the body. Calcium is not only critical in bone health, which is well known, but also in the functioning of the neurological system. Although you can get vitamin D from supplements as with anything obtaining it from natural sources is infinitely better. Have you ever had the experience of being outside in the sunshine (even in the winter) and suddenly feeling wonderful and having a burst of energy? Of course, everyone has experienced this. In addition to the much needed Vitamin D enhancing the neurological functioning of the body, the sunshine stimulates the endocrine system to release endorphins which make you feel wonderful. In addition the sunlight contains photons which result in chemical processes in the body which actually deliver energy on a cellular level. Therefore, although receiving Vitamin D via supplementation is better than nothing, receiving it directly from sunlight is much more beneficial.

By taking supplements the weight will not "come off", but you will be more energized and feel more like moving and doing things, if that answers your question.

20yrsinBranson
Interesting. I worked outside in the sun 5-6 days a week for four years when I lived in Miami, did not change my eating habits, and I gained 20 pounds. Nothing changed except the conditions I worked in...which was a LOT more labor intensive than when I sat inside a building in a chair at a cubicle.

Yet I gained.

Hmm.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wrong. People are the way they are because they eat too much. Period. No one should be eating processed crap. But wheat is not the bad guy. If you eat whole grains it is part of a healthy diet, no matter what your wheat belly guy says. HCFS is sugar. No one should be eating large quantities of it.
Blaming the food is not the answer. People asserting self control and responsibility is.
Wheat has certain addictive properties that lead to weight gain for many people. It is well documented. The next time you're at the store take a mental note of the type of things people have in their shopping carton and their overall weight. Also, going gluten free improves mental clarity for many people and is beneficial for those on the Autism spectrum. HFCS IS NOT sugar. It is refined corn syrup from corn, a food stock. Small portions are the answer, but our bodies can not adapt quickly to the huge shift in our agricultural system that involves hybrid varieties of wheat, soy, corn and everything else. For those individuals a very low grain diet with higher quantities of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, rice, would be a better alternative.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Vitamin D is integral in the maintenance of metabolic processes that keep a person healthy including the assimilation of Calcium and other nutrients in the body. Calcium is not only critical in bone health, which is well known, but also in the functioning of the neurological system. Although you can get vitamin D from supplements as with anything obtaining it from natural sources is infinitely better. Have you ever had the experience of being outside in the sunshine (even in the winter) and suddenly feeling wonderful and having a burst of energy? Of course, everyone has experienced this. In addition to the much needed Vitamin D enhancing the neurological functioning of the body, the sunshine stimulates the endocrine system to release endorphins which make you feel wonderful. In addition the sunlight contains photons which result in chemical processes in the body which actually deliver energy on a cellular level. Therefore, although receiving Vitamin D via supplementation is better than nothing, receiving it directly from sunlight is much more beneficial.

By taking supplements the weight will not "come off", but you will be more energized and feel more like moving and doing things, if that answers your question.

20yrsinBranson
I generally just take Vitamin D supplements. Your reasoning does not work as well for those of us with northern European ancestry who do not do well in very much direct sunlight. That is why I cannot live in the southern tier of the US because I will get a sunburn in 15 minutes or less when exposed to direct solar insolation. I do better with INDIRECT solar radiation at a much lower angle in the sky, preferably with snow cover that has a high albedo that brightens winter days that often involve nordic and alpine sports.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Wheat has certain addictive properties that lead to weight gain for many people. It is well documented. The next time you're at the store take a mental note of the type of things people have in their shopping carton and their overall weight. Also, going gluten free improves mental clarity for many people and is beneficial for those on the Autism spectrum. HFCS IS NOT sugar. It is refined corn syrup from corn, a food stock. Small portions are the answer, but our bodies can not adapt quickly to the huge shift in our agricultural system that involves hybrid varieties of wheat, soy, corn and everything else. For those individuals a very low grain diet with higher quantities of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, rice, would be a better alternative.
Which addictive properties does wheat contain? Also, you realize that anyone can become physicially dependent on anything, even if it doesn't contain "addictive properties?" What do you even mean by "addictive properties?" Wheat isn't a narcotic, nor does it contain trace amounts of narcotics. It's not cocaine, or alcohol. No idea where you're getting this "addictive properties" thing.

Yes, gluten-free has been shown to have a positive effect on -some- people with autism. Not all, and those people are in the -vast- minority of the mathematical set of "people who live on planet earth and consume food." So using that subset "some people with Autism" is really just tossing in a red herring and is irrelevent.

Next - high fructose corn syrup IS sugar. Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word "sugar." Sugar is a carbohydrate, appearing in two types: disaccharides and monosaccharides. They are present in fruits in the form of fructose, dairy in the form of lactose, your own blood in the form of glucose, and other food stuffs such as beets and sugar cane in the form of sucrose. There are other types - galactose (a naturally synthesized sugar in the human body and present in milk and sugar beets, among others) and maltose, which comes primarily from germinating seeds such as barley.

Corn's extracted sugar is primarily sucrose and fructose, and Montessi & Gang have engineered the ability to create an end product containing more fructose than the amount naturally contained in the corn.

But just like maple syrup, honey, and simple syrup from cane sugar, these are -all- forms of sugar. When crystallized, they become maple sugar, honey granules, sugar crystals, and - corn sugar.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:

Wrong again. But thats okay. If how you eat works for you I am not going to argue with you.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Also, I meant to type Monstanto, but an ad popped up on my other browser for the local car dealership and their name is Montessi. So I typed that instead by mistake.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM

326 posts, read 704,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, I meant to type Monstanto, but an ad popped up on my other browser for the local car dealership and their name is Montessi. So I typed that instead by mistake.
Lol i thought you knew the actual scientist who did it i was fairly impressed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss