Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What does wheat have in common with heroin and morphine?

The Addictive Properties of Wheat

Wheat is an Opiate -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

I am one of the rarer cases of people who have benefited from going gluten free as I am on the Autism spectrum. I also avoid dairy, soy, and eggs. My overall functioning has definitely improved over the years and my mental clarity is far better (no more brain fog). Socially, I am doing much better as well.
It's great you've found something that works for you.

I am not autistic. I incorporate whole wheat, whole grains, dairy, some soy (I like Asian foods), and eggs into my weekly (not daily) diet and I feel EXCELLENT. I am also doing Weight Watchers and have lost 12 pounds in six weeks and have 22 more to go - which I have no doubt I can and will lose.

For me, the kicker has been learning to avoid refined foods, most breads, most sugars and truly addictive stuff like caffeine and alcohol.

And TRACKING INPUT AND MANAGING PORTION CONTROL.

Also, WW doesn't "count" most fruits and veggies - that is, you can eat most fruits and veggies in an unlimited way. This encourages reaching for those things if you feel hungry - which is simply a healthier habit.

If I eat plenty of veggies and fruits, I'm just not hungry for that other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Heres an article on how the social situation leads to obesity, the group psychology of if you are around fatties you have a strong chance of becoming one yourself.....they psychology is sort of counter-inituitive:

[url=http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/04/how-habits-spread/?utm_source=Contextly&utm_medium=RelatedLinks&utm_ campaign=Previous]
Contagious Habits: How Obesity Spreads[/quote]

Taken together, this research begins to explain how obesity moves through a social network. It turns out that the habits and hungers of others shape our own, that we unconsciously regress to the dietary norms around us. Because we’re not particularly good at noticing when we’re sated and full – the stomach is a crude sensory organ – we rely on all sorts of external cues to tell us how much to eat. Many of these cues from other people, which is why our eating habits are so contagious.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think by now everyone on the planet knows what causes obesity. It is not the government, it is not the fast food joints, it is not sugary sodas, it's not the all you can eat buffets or dollar meals. Those are all contributors, but the responsibility lies on the individual. People want to blame everything else except themselves when it comes to what they are putting in their mouths and then not moving.
How true! And millions are spent to prevent obesity, treat it, and deal with associated conditions when in reality people should be doing their job instead of waiting for the government or someone else to solve their lives...

Last edited by DFWgal; 08-25-2012 at 10:38 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A shame, really, that the brightest minds cannot decide on a cause--and a solution. Seems to me, until this happens, we'll continue down that path to more obesity. It's turned into a very confusing issue with lots of finger-pointing and argument.
Actually, if you ignore the media, popular diet books and instead focus on what actual scientists have to say there is a good deal of agreement.

Also, the food industry uses this confusion to its advantage, indeed...it often creates it.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
As many bloggers sites you can pull up demonizing wheat I can pull up just as many that refute them. So its a moot point
No, its not a moot point, look at the actual science. Wheat and dairy are problematic aspects of the American diet as many people have allergies or are otherwise intolerant to these foods...and it shows up in many different ways depending on the individual. Yet, since the average American typically eats both of these foods on an almost daily basis its very hard to pinpoint their health issues to them.

The sentiment you're expressing is just dogma and it puts millions at risk of poor health. Not only do millions of Americans have allergies, which are often subtle, to wheat an dairy....but dairy is junk food. The nutritional profile of whole milk is similar to a snickers bar, yet we are forcing kids to consume dairy in school.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, its not a moot point, look at the actual science. Wheat and dairy are problematic aspects of the American diet as many people have allergies or are otherwise intolerant to these foods...and it shows up in many different ways depending on the individual. Yet, since the average American typically eats both of these foods on an almost daily basis its very hard to pinpoint their health issues to them.

The sentiment you're expressing is just dogma and it puts millions at risk of poor health. Not only do millions of Americans have allergies, which are often subtle, to wheat an dairy....but dairy is junk food. The nutritional profile of whole milk is similar to a snickers bar, yet we are forcing kids to consume dairy in school.
You are under the impression I think the average Americans diet is okay. I think it is poison. However, I am not going to demonize any food group because none need to be demonized. A healthy diet is just common sense that most people have, but do not have the discipline to use it.
Whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, meat, mono-saturated fats are all good choices. Sugar should be limited as well as saturated fats. Most of all portion size needs to be controlled and fast food and prepackaged foods should be avoided. You are not going to sell me on dairy being bad, nor some fats, nor whatever else crackpot theories you come up with.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
However, I am not going to demonize any food group because none need to be demonized.
Yes you keep talking about those "food groups" while systematically ignoring how they are defined and the health consequences of the foods in them. For example, the idea that the milk of another animal is somehow an important part of the human diet, so important it has its own "food group" which is recommended is silly.......and just down-right absurd when you consider the fact the majority of people can't even digest it. But beyond allergies and intolerance, dairy is a major source of excess protein and fat in the American diet. Its consumption should be avoided, not encouraged.

To you, lactose intolerance, which effects 90+% of Asians, ~75% of African Americans and ~50% of Hispanics is a "crackpot theory".

Grains, nor dairy are essential for human health and creating dietary recommendations that recommend these foods is a disaster for the millions that have problems with them. These recommendations have nothing to do with nutrition, instead the promotion of particular agricultural products. So while you're free to eat along these arbitrary lines, there are very good reasons to eschew some of the traditional "food groups".

Old 08-26-2012, 04:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes you keep talking about those "food groups" while systematically ignoring how they are defined and the health consequences of the foods in them. For example, the idea that the milk of another animal is somehow an important part of the human diet, so important it has its own "food group" which is recommended is silly.......and just down-right absurd when you consider the fact the majority of people can't even digest it. But beyond allergies and intolerance, dairy is a major source of excess protein and fat in the American diet. Its consumption should be avoided, not encouraged.

To you, lactose intolerance, which effects 90+% of Asians, ~75% of African Americans and ~50% of Hispanics is a "crackpot theory".

Grains, nor dairy are essential for human health creating dietary recommendations that recommend these foods is a disaster for the millions that have problems with them. These recommendations have nothing to do with nutrition, instead the promotion of particular agricultural products.
Whatever.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Whatever.
And that pretty much sums up your position.....

Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Looks like another thread ruined by one person insisting he's right, and everyone else explaining why he's wrong. And no surprise here - it's the same one person who is doing all the insisting, as the person in half a dozen other threads that are no longer about the actual topic, but rather, about how this one person is right, and everyone else is wrong. What is it that they call that on other forums again? Belly roll? Lump of coal? Mink stole? Ocean shoal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss