Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Looks like another thread ruined by one person insisting he's right, and everyone else explaining why he's wrong. And no surprise here - it's the same one person who is doing all the insisting
The topic of wheat and dairy were brought up by another poster, and no, its not off-topic since it directly relates to weight gain. The fact that you don't agree is immaterial.

Did you have anything important to add, perhaps you need a saltine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, its not a moot point, look at the actual science. Wheat and dairy are problematic aspects of the American diet as many people have allergies or are otherwise intolerant to these foods...and it shows up in many different ways depending on the individual. Yet, since the average American typically eats both of these foods on an almost daily basis its very hard to pinpoint their health issues to them.

The sentiment you're expressing is just dogma and it puts millions at risk of poor health. Not only do millions of Americans have allergies, which are often subtle, to wheat an dairy....but dairy is junk food. The nutritional profile of whole milk is similar to a snickers bar, yet we are forcing kids to consume dairy in school.
Well, I guess I am just lucky. I apparently have no allergies to either wheat or dairy, and include both of them (whole grain wheat products and whole dairy products - preferably organic with no hormones or antibiotics) in my diet. Not every day but most days. I feel fantastic and am the very picture of health.

And I am losing 1-3 pounds a week on Weight Watchers, including wheat and dairy in my diet. Skin, hair, eyes - all look good. Mood - excellent! Energy - out the roof!

Twenty pounds to go. Now - it's my breakfast time and I'm going to have a smoothie made with whole milk yogurt that I made myself. Later I will probably have some whole wheat pasta with homemade marinara sauce, and a beautiful side salad. I'll probably add mozarella cheese to both!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I guess I am just lucky. I apparently have no allergies to either wheat or dairy, and include both of them (whole grain wheat products and whole dairy products - preferably organic with no hormones or antibiotics) in my diet. Not every day but most days. I feel fantastic and am the very picture of health.
You are not lucky, you are like most adults. It is a minority of people who cannot handle whole grains. The difference is you work at it. You have a healthy attitude about health and fitness and you have dedicated yourself to bettering yourself. Luck has nothing to do with it.
I eat whole grains everyday. I have no ill effects and my weight is stable. I do not consider myself lucky, just normal.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:

And I am losing 1-3 pounds a week on Weight Watchers, including wheat and dairy in my diet. Skin, hair, eyes - all look good. Mood - excellent! Energy - out the roof!

Twenty pounds to go. Now - it's my breakfast time and I'm going to have a smoothie made with whole milk yogurt that I made myself. Later I will probably have some whole wheat pasta with homemade marinara sauce, and a beautiful side salad. I'll probably add mozarella cheese to both!
I guess I'm lucky too. I eat everything, including a fair amount of crap, but have never been overweight. I was unhappy about 10 extra pounds I put on two years ago and I lost it counting calories.

While I do understand that fat has metabolic properties and people who are overweight or obese might actually be hungrier and yet need fewer calories than their thinner counterparts, the basic equation is still calories in vs. calories out, no matter how you get there. If you're eliminating whole groups of food from your diet, whether it's wheat, dairy, "white food," or packaged food, you're automatically eliminating a bunch of calories and also having to stop and think before you eat. That's a good way to eat, regardless of the particulars.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
If you're eliminating whole groups of food from your diet, whether it's wheat, dairy, "white food," or packaged food, you're automatically eliminating a bunch of calories and also having to stop and think before you eat.
..stopping and thinking I think is key since...at least for me...mindless snacking is one way I gain weight.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
This is what I thought...until I started to change my diet for unrelated reasons. Once I wasn't consuming dairy on a daily basis it became obvious that it was the cause of a number of issues....issues that I would have linked to dairy. I don't seem to have any issues with wheat, though I don't eat that much of it.

Regardless, I'm by no means suggesting that everyone is effected by dairy and wheat, but issues with these two foods are rather common (not to mention some ethnic groups can't even digest dairy) as a result promoting their consumption at the national level is just pretty crazy.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as dairy without hormones. Milk naturally contains numerous hormones intended for its natural recipient: a calve. It also has numerous other things.... Given that milk is "designed" to grow a calve into a steer in short order....the idea that it promotes weight gain shouldn't be that odd.

You're the picture of health, yet counting calories to lose weight? I'm not sure I understand.....

Last edited by user_id; 08-28-2012 at 11:10 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
This is what I thought...until I started to change my diet for unrelated reasons. Once I wasn't consuming dairy on a daily basis it became obvious that it was the cause of a number of issues....issues that I would have linked to dairy. I don't seem to have any issues with wheat, though I don't eat that much of it.

Regardless, I'm by no means suggesting that everyone is effected by dairy and wheat, but issues with these two foods are rather common (not to mention some ethnic groups can't even digest dairy) as a result promoting their consumption at the national level is just pretty crazy.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as dairy without hormones. Milk naturally contains numerous hormones intended for its natural recipient: a calve. It also has numerous other things.... Given that milk is "designed" to grow a calve into a steer in short order....the idea that it promotes weight gain shouldn't be that odd.

You're the picture of health, yet counting calories to lose weight? I'm not sure I understand.....
1. You may have had "issues." I don't have ANY "issues" - no digestive problems, no problems sleeping, no congestion, no headaches, no skin problems, no high blood pressure, whatever. When I say I am the "picture of health" I mean it. It's almost ridiculous -and most people my age (and younger) can hardly believe it. My husband is pretty jealous!

2. I meant synthetic, added hormones AND antibiotics. I drink raw milk preferably, from pasture raised cows. When I can't get that (limited supply locally) I drink organic milk. But that raw, creamy, beautiful milk is absolutely the best.

3. As for counting calories, I am using the WW program, which counts points - similar to counting calories. And yes, even though I need or want to lose twenty pounds (as most fifty year olds do), I am indeed the very picture of health. Most people would not consider me overweight - I'd just like to weigh what I weighed in college -as most people would.

Now do you understand?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
When I say I am the "picture of health" I mean it.
And yet, here you are trying to lose weight. I'm really not sure what you have in mind with "picture of health", you seem to mean you have no noticeable health problems. That doesn't mean too much....

Quote:
2. I meant synthetic, added hormones AND antibiotics. I drink raw milk preferably, from pasture raised cows.
So consuming cow hormones is fine, its just the lab created versions of these hormones that are bad? Funny thing is...they react the same way in the cow...that is sorta the point.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
1. You may have had "issues." I don't have ANY "issues" - no digestive problems, no problems sleeping, no congestion, no headaches, no skin problems, no high blood pressure, whatever. When I say I am the "picture of health" I mean it. It's almost ridiculous -and most people my age (and younger) can hardly believe it. My husband is pretty jealous!

2. I meant synthetic, added hormones AND antibiotics. I drink raw milk preferably, from pasture raised cows. When I can't get that (limited supply locally) I drink organic milk. But that raw, creamy, beautiful milk is absolutely the best.

3. As for counting calories, I am using the WW program, which counts points - similar to counting calories. And yes, even though I need or want to lose twenty pounds (as most fifty year olds do), I am indeed the very picture of health. Most people would not consider me overweight - I'd just like to weigh what I weighed in college -as most people would.

Now do you understand?
There exists no dairy that adds hormones and antibiotics to the milk. There exists no test to determine whether or not the -cow- was injected with hormones, because the hormones that gets injected, are the exact same hormones as the ones they produce naturally, in order to produce milk. Biochemically, they have the exact same molecular structure, and are indistinguishable from each other in a lab, and in the cow. Any hormones that you consume in the milk itself, *could* be naturally produced by the cow, OR from a cow that was injected. You, the consumer, have no way of knowing which, even if you bought it from the farm. The only one who knows for sure, is the farmer.

As for antibiotics, cows are taken -out- of the milk production line, and not allowed back into it until they have tested free of antibiotics. And so - there is no antibiotics in the milk. If you find a batch of milk containing antibiotics in it, call the health department. It's illegal for farmers to sell it.

Edited to add: it's also riskier to drink raw milk than it is to drink pasteurized, homogenized milk. There is a much higher chance of dangerous contaminants making you sick from the raw milk.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
And yet, here you are trying to lose weight. I'm really not sure what you have in mind with "picture of health", you seem to mean you have no noticeable health problems. That doesn't mean too much....
I am not at all obese. I am slightly overweight. Other than that - which does not seem to be affecting my health in any way, by the way - I am exuberantly healthy. In fact, I can't remember the last time I was sick with even a cold.

I have zero - ZERO - health problems. That's what I mean.

I am fifty years old. Here is an unretouched photo of me taken a few weeks ago:

And that is what I call the "picture of health."

I have no idea how old you are, but let me put it this way - if you were a fifty year old woman who snapped your achilles tendon and spent 8 months in a cast and heavy boot, you might put on a few pounds too - which I am losing at a steady, healthy pace now that I am fully recovered and able once again to be as active as I was when I was about 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss