Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:08 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times

Advertisements

Are you losing inches or are your clothes fitting better?
Be sure to watch your portion sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
Reading through your post, I also thought that maybe you aren't eating enough at the right times...

Does your yogurt has a high sugar content?

The "six small meals a day" is a good plan--but only if the carbs/protein/fat in each meal is balanced and gives you what you really need over the entire day.

Strenght training balanced with cardio will help burn the fat while building muscle. So you might not see the loss in just pounds...you may see it more significantly in inches and definition.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:40 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Sugar and carbs, it's that simple. Don't eat them. You don't have to watch what you eat, just don't eat the wrong things. I've been eating like a pig lately. Just now I had a leftover sausage from dinner, a few slices of blue cheese and a huge bowl of strawberries with some cottage cheese on top. For dinner I had sausage and a huge salad. Earlier i had another sausage, a banana, cereal and milk, another bowl of strawberries with plain yogurt. I eat like this and I'm still dropping weight because I stopped eating pasta and ice-cream and chips and bread, which was all I was eating.

So just stop the carbs and sugar!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
thank you everyone so much!

groove1 ....I will be more aware of the corn syrup

greenie ....ohhh my gosh the pasta?!?!? ....Ill try to cut it out more

jessaka ...that is our next move if i can't figure this out soon. I'm 25 ...no children ...yet! and was skinny until my masters degree years(damn degrees =) ). i am now about 15-20 over, that's also when the world fell apart for our family and we have just recovered. Everything that goes wrong went wrong for two years(ewh, it happens to everyone). (death, jobs, incarceration(close family), moves, divorce(hubbies parents), and degrees all in a year and a half, took us 6 months to recover). that is not my excuse i'm just stating what went on during weight gain years. ...I begged for a dog that year as a type of outlet to all that was going on. ...he's been wonderful!!!
I started the roller blading randomly because ive found it fun. I'm going fast...

citybytthebay ....you sound like my husband. I will eat more frequent and see what happens.

I eat yogurt in the morning ...only like 3-4 spoonfuls because it keeps the tummy happy. I also give my doggie a spoonful, so i'm not eat'n a gallon of it. ....yogurt fights bad stuff and is good for menstrual cycles, so that is my reasoning. 3-4 spoonfuls isn't much is it???? ...ohhh my gosh now i'm confused about whats to much ....howry mowry. The yogurt is low sugar content.

as far as starches are concerned I will cut out pasta(tears =) ). I stay away from bread as often as possible(my frist love ...because I can't stop) and I'm not a chip person.

fruit = sugar? ....is fruit ok? sugar is cake,pie,candy,coffe w/ sugar(go figure) ...fruit is bad???

Meat??? ...so if i cut out meat,starch and sugar(fruit) what will i run off of?
I understand the pasta, I really do, but don't i need protien(meat of sorts???)

Thanks so much for all the info a little confused about the fruit and meat thing.

Last edited by kelly3120; 10-19-2007 at 10:11 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Sugar and carbs, it's that simple. Don't eat them. You don't have to watch what you eat, just don't eat the wrong things. I've been eating like a pig lately. Just now I had a leftover sausage from dinner, a few slices of blue cheese and a huge bowl of strawberries with some cottage cheese on top. For dinner I had sausage and a huge salad. Earlier i had another sausage, a banana, cereal and milk, another bowl of strawberries with plain yogurt. I eat like this and I'm still dropping weight because I stopped eating pasta and ice-cream and chips and bread, which was all I was eating.

So just stop the carbs and sugar!!!
ok I like your idea the most because the things you just mentioned are all things i would eat....minus the sausage.

the meat we do eat is more often then not grilled(healtheir right?) ...I truely am confused now I'm doubting my views on food.

....someone asked about clothes fitting different ...nope ...i have been the same weight 145 for a good two years now. I can run a marathon and still 145 on the dot the next week. BUT I have had people tell me Im loosing weight ...the scale does NOT =( ...maybe I'm gaining muscle9is that a cop out???)

Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
thank you everyone so much!

groove1 ....I will be more aware of the corn syrup

greenie ....ohhh my gosh the pasta?!?!? ....Ill try to cut it out more

jessaka ...that is our next move if i can't figure this out soon. I'm 25 ...no children ...yet! and was skinny until my masters degree years. i am now about 15-20 over, that's also when the world fell apart for our family and we have just recovered. Everything that goes wrong went wrong for two years(ewh, it happens to everyone). (death, jobs, incarceration(close family), moves, divorce(hubbies parents), and degrees all in a year and a half, took us 6 months to recover) ...I begged for a dog that year as a type of outlet to all that was going on. ...he's been wonderful!!!
I started the roller blading randomly because ive found it fun. I'm going fast...

citybytthebay ....you sound like my husband. I will eat more frequent and see what happens.

I eat yogurt in the morning ...only like 3-4 spoonfuls because it keeps the tummy happy. I also give my doggie a spoonful, so i'm not eat'n a gallon of it. ....yogurt fights bad stuff and is good for menstrual cycles, so that is my reasoning. 3-4 spoonfuls isn't much is it???? ...ohhh my gosh now i'm confused about whats to much ....howry mowry. The yogurt is low sugar content.

as far as starches are concerned I will cut out pasta(tears =) ). I stay away from bread as often as possible(my frist love ...because I can't stop) and I'm not a chip person.

fruit = sugar? ....is fruit ok? sugar is cake,pie,candy,coffe w/ sugar(go figure) ...fruit is bad???

Meat??? ...so if i cut out meat,starch and sugar(fruit) what will i run off of?
I understand the pasta, I really do, but don't i need protien(meat of sorts???)

Thanks so much for all the info a little confused about the fruit and meat thing.
You can eat fruit. Berries and melons are great. I personally eat all kinds. You can eat meat. In fact, eat plenty of it. Lots of protein. Just stay away from sugar and any kind of fruit juice.

If you go for a long run, feel free to have a banana when you get back to bring up your blood sugar level. Moderate your carbohydrates depending on how much exercise you do.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Set yourself up on fitday.com. It takes a little while but it's worth it. If you input everyday, it won't be long till you will be able to evaluate what you need to change.

The same things don't work for everyone but the general rule is always move more, eat less.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Sugar and carbs, it's that simple. Don't eat them.
The carbs to cut out are refined grains like enriched flour, white potatos,etc.
Don't cut all carbs! Complex carbs are all fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
I hate when people say to cut out carbs, and some people actuall cut them all out when that's the unhealthiest thing to do.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The carbs to cut out are refined grains like enriched flour, white potatos,etc.
Don't cut all carbs! Complex carbs are all fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
I hate when people say to cut out carbs, and some people actuall cut them all out when that's the unhealthiest thing to do.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Don't cut all carbs!
I think it's crazy to cut out *healthy* carbs such as wholegrain bread.
Whole grains are filling and good for you.
Dump the processed foods and eat real food. Grilled meat is fine.
I eat plain yogurt, but that's me.
And I agree with yellowsnow: move more, and eat less.
You have to exercise, even if it's just a brisk 20 minute walk.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Kelly, Fruit isn't bad, and I agree with you about yogurt. One summer I ate bags and bags of apricots and lost 10 lbs. I was thin until I got a car, and then I gained 5 lbs. I used to walk everywhere. Three years ago I began walking and lost ten pounds. I am 65. I moved to an area where I don't walk as much and gained 10 lbs the first year. I was fine 10 lbs ago and happy with my weight. I can lose weight if I stay off sugars and breads, but then I miss them. I don't understand why rollerblading isn't helping then. As a child I always gained weight on pasta. Not as much as I do now though. I found that sprouted wheat bread helped me to lose weight whereas whole wheat bread didn't. So I would never cut out all grains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss