Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:18 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.
Don't cut all carbs!
I think it's crazy to cut out *healthy* carbs such as wholegrain bread.
Whole grains are filling and good for you.
Dump the processed foods and eat real food. Grilled meat is fine.
I eat plain yogurt, but that's me.
And I agree with yellowsnow: move more, and eat less.
You have to exercise, even if it's just a brisk 20 minute walk.
we dont' eat processed foods, besides little outtings once or twice a month.
I cook everything. I love plain yogurt ...mmmmmm.....
see this is were it isn't adding up ..i'm excercising and hour or more a day.
I did break it up yesterday. I ran 30 minutes and then went for a one hour walk at night ....if this is my daily routine shouldn't this work.

i mentioned it all to my husband and he said it's all his fault. He's trying to gain weight so I wonder now in the joy of sitting down to dinner w/ him if I'm muching when I'm done because I'm not gonna get up while he's still eating ....so maybe I'm overeating a little to much? ...
We eat very healthy ...maybe we had spegetti that one night but i always make meatballs and eat those more then the spegetti. I made porch w/ apples and onions(mmmmm) last Friday for dinner and didn't use any oil ..just some honey,cinnamon, apples, and vegs. ....mmmm... My thing is I love taste, I'm Italian(can you tell).

....we are about to go away for the weekend, so I'll attempt to do some of the stuff on here once we get back. Thanks for all the ideas.

I was starting to doubt my thougths on fruit,vegs and meat ...all things i adore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 07:13 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,752,834 times
One major thing - do not eat after 7pm.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
ok I like your idea the most because the things you just mentioned are all things i would eat....minus the sausage.

the meat we do eat is more often then not grilled(healtheir right?) ...I truely am confused now I'm doubting my views on food.

....someone asked about clothes fitting different ...nope ...i have been the same weight 145 for a good two years now. I can run a marathon and still 145 on the dot the next week. BUT I have had people tell me Im loosing weight ...the scale does NOT =( ...maybe I'm gaining muscle9is that a cop out???)
High protein, low carbs. Forget about all the other rules. I stopped eating carbs about a week ago and my pants are hanging on my hips now. You start to feel a difference after one day, not as bloated. You're body feels leaner and tighter and then the clothes start to get looser. You can eat some carbs, but it depends on how fast you want to lose the weight. I eat my flax seed cereal when I need a boost. This is what I had to eat today: Three eggs for breakfast. 8 buffalo chicken wings at Whole Foods for lunch. Turkey meatloaf and steamed squash with a huge salad and a glass of milk for dinner. I also drink tea and coffee when I feel like it. When you eat more protein, you stop craving starch and sugar and your appetite starts to diminish. Keep it simple. When you eat like this, it doesn't even feel like a diet.

And if you really must have carbs, have a banana, or flax seed cereal, or butternut squash or sweet potato.

Greenie

Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 PM

200 posts, read 915,082 times
Maybe South Beach it for 2 weeks... that South Beach is NO JOKE. After I finished breastfeeding my second child, I did the South Beach and lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks! Granted, I had just finished breastfeeding...so water-retention/ hormones probably had a role in the whole thing... But I would definately eliminate all carbs for a couple of weeks (maybe even the yogurt & apple)...and don't go more than a few hours without eating something (almonds/ cheese stick)...get yourself a good grean tea...and if none of that works, maybe you're just plateauing (you'll break through it eventually - just keep up the good work). Sometimes when I am plateauing, if I've been good for a while...a 'bad' treat, like some chocolate/ candy will jumpstart my weightloss again...
(I'm eating a bag of M&M's, as I type)

Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
Kelly, the best thing to do overall is what you feel works for you. We all have our own idea's of what works for US. If it will work for you remains to be seen.
Did you ever think that some of the added weight could be muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat, and it's an even better thing to just measure yourself than step on a scale all the time.
We all have a setpoint on our bodies, and once you reach it, it will not let you lose anymore, it's a self-protecting mechanism.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:06 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,812 times
When nothing else seems to work, try the Eat Right 4 Your Type regime. It's all about eating according to your blood type. I've known people who, in desperation, went to the doctor and started looking at food related allergies. Of the people I know, the things they are to avoid because of allergies are along the lines of the Eat Right 4 Your Type system.

I can tell you that NONE of the suggestions listed here work for me, although I will admit they work for many people. However, some people have really screwed up systems that need to be repaired, IMO. I'm a firm believer that many things can be repaired by eating right; however, eating right varies from individual to individual. Most people would be appalled at what I'm allowed to eat (e.g., white flour rather than whole grain, beef rather than chicken, and sugar and potatoes), but it works for me and I feel SO much better when I eat this way.

No amount of exercise or cutting back on fats, carbs, or calories worked for me.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Kelly, the best thing to do overall is what you feel works for you. We all have our own idea's of what works for US. If it will work for you remains to be seen.
I agree. And figuring it out doesn't happen overnight.
Quote:
We all have a setpoint on our bodies, and once you reach it, it will not let you lose anymore, it's a self-protecting mechanism.
That's what I used to think.
But my setpoint has changed twice now, once as a young woman, and now as an older one.
I'm not talking about a tremendous amount of weight, but a good 20 pounds.
What we think is a plateau can actually be changed, if we change our lifestyles enough and/or if there are physiological changes.

Kelly, it sounds to me like you are doing good things for your body, and I don't see the big problem with pasta, especially if you are running.

I suppose the South Beach or just eliminating carbs might get you off a possible plateau, and give you some needed momentum...if you are *that* worried and motivated for weight-loss.

Basically I just think moderation in all things eventually works, and lasts the longest--but I suppose it is not drastic enough for some people.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:01 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,727 times
You can eat whole wheat pasta for a replacement. There is also a protein pasta that has a good amount of protein compared to the traditional pasta.

I would agree with the "More muscle/less fat" idea. Your body composition may be changing. You may need to test your body fat with a caliper or even a bf scale just to see if you're losing bf. The scales aren't that acurate, but you may gauge your loss at least.

You can also try eating the predetermined daily amount of carbs during the earlier part of your day and leave more protein/fat calories towards the end.

Like was mentioned earlier, don't eliminate carbs, just eat better carbs to keep your insulin levels from spiking up and down. The lower the GI of a carb, the better. Except maybe for post workouts of heavy intense exercises. Then simple carbs and a fast acting protein shake may do you some good.

Don't be afraid of resistance training. Even if it's calisthenics for now. Pushups, pullups, stuff like that. It does wonders to your metabolism. Much better than starving/low calorie type diet. Not saying you're doing that, but some people think less is more. They need to know the 'right metabolism' is more. You can get that with resistance training and cardio.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
High protein, low carbs. Forget about all the other rules. I stopped eating carbs about a week ago and my pants are hanging on my hips now. You start to feel a difference after one day, not as bloated. You're body feels leaner and tighter and then the clothes start to get looser. You can eat some carbs, but it depends on how fast you want to lose the weight. I eat my flax seed cereal when I need a boost. This is what I had to eat today: Three eggs for breakfast. 8 buffalo chicken wings at Whole Foods for lunch. Turkey meatloaf and steamed squash with a huge salad and a glass of milk for dinner. I also drink tea and coffee when I feel like it. When you eat more protein, you stop craving starch and sugar and your appetite starts to diminish. Keep it simple. When you eat like this, it doesn't even feel like a diet.

And if you really must have carbs, have a banana, or flax seed cereal, or butternut squash or sweet potato.

Greenie
greenie is a food lover too! I'm do'n it. We just got home and of course on vacation ALL RULES are broken. I want to loose 20 by the end of december because we start "baby making" in January and I know weight is hard to get off once you have a baby.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Did you ever think that some of the added weight could be muscle? Muscle weighs more than fat, and it's an even better thing to just measure yourself than step on a scale all the time.
I am keeping the muscle in mind. My husband mentioned that as well, say'n if i run 5 miles there's so major muscle building going on.

Thank you everyone so much for your ideas and info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss