Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM

487 posts, read 896,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I answered your question. There is no contradiction, not only are the foods you listed not avoided on an "alkaline diet" but you can find antioxidants in numerous foods. The primary foods avoided in an alkaline diet are meats, dairy, grains, etc and neither of these foods is rich in nutrients....especially not meats and dairy.
Yes, the foods I listed are indeed listed as acidic in various alkaline diet charts. Such as this one: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_shiQcrswUq...line_chart.gif

Another food I didn't mention charts say is acidic is chocolate. Which is another antioxidant superfood--I consume loads of raw cocoa every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
Yes, the foods I listed are indeed listed as acidic in various alkaline diet charts.
They are moderately acidic, but that doesn't mean they avoided. Like I mentioned, its the overall composition of the diet that matters. Also, there are a variety of "alkaline diets" that are promoted, I'm only familiar with the more science based stuff and these folks aren't against eating acidic fruits.....who knows what some of the "alternative medicine" people say.

Quote:
Another food I didn't mention charts say is acidic is chocolate. Which is another antioxidant superfood--I consume loads of raw cocoa every day.
Chocolate has antioxidants, but its also high in fat and per calorie its not that rich in antioxidants. Eating a bowl of pinto beans is going to supply you with more antioxidants....without all the fat:

20 Common Foods With the Most Antioxidants

Foods like chocolate, coffee, etc are over hyped. At the end of the day people like to hear good things about their bad habits.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 PM

Ah I see what you're saying.
Not all fats are bad though. Here's an article I found saying the fat in chocolate is not too bad. It says: "The fat in chocolate comes from cocoa butter and is made up of equal amounts of oleic acid (a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat also found in olive oil), stearic and palmitic acids. Stearic and palmitic acids are forms of saturated fat. You may know that saturated fats are linked to increases in LDL cholesterol and the risk of heart disease. But, research shows that stearic acid appears to have a neutral effect on cholesterol, neither raising nor lowering it. Although palmitic acid does affect cholesterol levels, it only makes up one-third of the fat calories in chocolate. "
Heart-Health Benefits of Chocolate Unveiled

It's not that rich in antioxidants? Yes huh! I've read time and time again it has more antioxidants than blueberries and red wine. Well, raw cocoa, or dark chocolate anyway. Look it up...http://www.allchocolate.com/health/b...t_effects.aspx
Dark Chocolate and Antioxidants - Prevention.com

Coffee is also really darn good for you in terms of protecting from disease. Here is an extensive article I've stumbled upon before which backs it up with a lot of studies:The Case for Drinking as Much Coffee as You Like - Lindsay Abrams - The Atlantic

Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Not all fats are bad though. Here's an article I found saying the fat in chocolate is not too bad. It says: "The fat in chocolate comes from cocoa butter and is made up of equal amounts of oleic acid (a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat also found in olive oil), stearic and palmitic acids.
Some fats are less bad than others, but fats aren't health food. Excess fats are going to promote heart disease, promote obesity, etc regardless of whether its monounsaturated, saturated, etc.

The only fats that the human body actually needs are polyunsaturated fats.

Quote:
It's not that rich in antioxidants? Yes huh! I've read time and time again it has more antioxidants than blueberries and red wine. Well, raw cocoa, or dark chocolate anyway. Look it up...
I have and chocolate is ranked well below foods like blueberries and as can be seen by the ranking I listed, common legumes actually have more than blueberries.

If you're already eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and legumes there is no reason to seek out popular "antioxidant rich foods".

Quote:
Coffee is also really darn good for you in terms of protecting from disease.
Like I said, people like to hear good things about their bad habits. You can find people saying just about anything on the internet, but the research on coffee is mixed. But as for as antioxidants go, your common white potato has more.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 AM

You're quite wrong about white potatoes being higher in antioxidants than coffee. I looked its ORAC level up, and it's 1,138/100 grams: Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, baked ORAC Value / Antioxidant Level.
For coffee, one cup is in the 15,000-17,000 range. What is the ORAC value of a cup of coffee? : Ask Dr. Gourmet

Why are you convinced potatoes have more?

That said, it's true white potatoes are very alkaline, while coffee is very acidic. Overall, I'm not sure which is better: very alkaline food with little antioxidant value, or very acidic with very high antioxidants. Back to the original question.

Blueberries have an ORAC level of 6652, while raw cocoa has 80933.
Here is another list of ORAC levels for various foods, in descending order: http://www.phytochemicals.info/list-orac-values.php

Last edited by djohanna; 02-19-2013 at 02:51 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Some fats are less bad than others, but fats aren't health food. Excess fats are going to promote heart disease, promote obesity, etc regardless of whether its monounsaturated, saturated, etc.

The only fats that the human body actually needs are polyunsaturated fats.

I have and chocolate is ranked well below foods like blueberries and as can be seen by the ranking I listed, common legumes actually have more than blueberries.

If you're already eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and legumes there is no reason to seek out popular "antioxidant rich foods".

Like I said, people like to hear good things about their bad habits. You can find people saying just about anything on the internet, but the research on coffee is mixed. But as for as antioxidants go, your common white potato has more.
Sure, people can say anything on the internet. But if it's backed by reputable, scientific studies it is worth heeding, no?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Well since you know all the answers about all the foods you want to eat, what are you hoping to gain by posting here? I'm confused now.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 AM

Once a-freaking-gaing: my original question : Overall, I'm not sure which is better: very alkaline food with little antioxidant value, or very acidic with very high antioxidants. Back to the original question.
No, I don't have ALL the answers. But I do know some facts.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
What does one hope to gain by micromanaging food intake to such an extreme degree?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Alkaline Diet: Pros, Cons, and Do They Really Affect Acid Levels in the Body?

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...=dmtHMSContent

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...s-6389368.html

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 02-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Add links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss