Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:28 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
What I've read thus far about this diet--reducing acidic foods in order to reduce the amount of work the body has to do to regulate its levels (by leeching calcium from the bones, etc.) makes sense. But what I don't get is that a lot of the foods one is supposed to avoid in this diet are also very high in antioxidants. Like blueberries, walnuts, prunes, and coffee! Now, what would be better--eat these foods and reap their anti-inflammatory benefits, while also making the body a bit more acidic, or avoid them and have a more alkaline body but miss out on those antioxidants...?

It's all very confusing, those diets.
The point is to maintain a healthy alkaline/acidic balance. There is no reason to avoid blueberries or other natural forms of antioxidants. Just balance it out! Most people today are overly acidic by way of processed & fast foods, sodas, and sugars etc, and are therefore unbalanced.. The alkaline "diet" is not about losing weight. It's about curing disease & attaining health. I suggest reading up on Edgar Cayce..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:48 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Not sure I agree that their pH levels would be the same.. An alkaline diet is crucial for people w/ or recovering from cancer, and is also a preventative measure for those at risk. It is also recommended to correct and prevent candida overgrowth in the body- which is attributed to an acidic internal environment. So, while one person may or may not seem healthier than the other, the person w/ a primarly acidic diet puts themselves at a much greater risk for developing serious health problems or diseases as they age, & programming those health problems into their DNA for future offspring.
Nope, the body adjusts pH within a narrow range: 7.35 to 7.45, usually close to 7.40. Anything you do to your diet is not going to change that assuming you are healthy.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nope, the body adjusts pH within a narrow range: 7.35 to 7.45, usually close to 7.40. Anything you do to your diet is not going to change that assuming you are healthy.
Right, assuming you are healthy... Lol

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Right, assuming you are healthy... Lol
There are medical conditions that can can alter normal balance, such as diabetic ketoacidoss, kidney disease, lung disease, and many others.

An "alkaline diet" will not make a healthy person healthier.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Not sure I agree that their pH levels would be the same.. An alkaline diet is crucial for people w/ or recovering from cancer, and is also a preventative measure for those at risk. It is also recommended to correct and prevent candida overgrowth in the body- which is attributed to an acidic internal environment. So, while one person may or may not seem healthier than the other, the person w/ a primarly acidic diet puts themselves at a much greater risk for developing serious health problems or diseases as they age, & programming those health problems into their DNA for future offspring.
No one really cares whether you "agree" pH levels would be the same any more than whether you "agree" the earth orbits the sun....facts are facts and "agreement" is meaningless.

An alkaline diet is not "crucial" to any one recovering from cancer....has no bearing whatsoever since the whole premise is nonsense.

There is also no such thing as Candida overgrowth, more nonsense...

So if I develop serious health problems and diseases as I age I might "program" those problems into my DNA for future offspring, good to know, I'll try not to procreate when I'm 75 when my DNA has been so "programmed"

Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
The point is to maintain a healthy alkaline/acidic balance. There is no reason to avoid blueberries or other natural forms of antioxidants. Just balance it out! Most people today are overly acidic by way of processed & fast foods, sodas, and sugars etc, and are therefore unbalanced.. The alkaline "diet" is not about losing weight. It's about curing disease & attaining health. I suggest reading up on Edgar Cayce..
Edgar Cayce???

Yeah, I try to make most of my decisions on diet and health based on the writings of a quack psychic who died 70 years ago....doesn't everyone?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

An alkaline diet is not "crucial" to any one recovering from cancer....has no bearing whatsoever since the whole premise is nonsense.
Wow... Can't argue with ignorance. Good day.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 AM

124 posts, read 211,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Correct - however, that applies to the blood. The pH of the tissue, etc, does fluctuate. (IE, you can test your urine easily and see it fluctuate throughout the day.)
This is somewhat true. The blood, and the lymphatic system that is maintained in a more alkaline state than the blood help maintain the pH of most tissues.

But some tissues will have fluctuating pH levels. For example, the stomach that increases in acidity for digestion or the duodenum that becomes more alkaline as the acids in the chyme exiting the stomach are neutralized by pancreatic bicarbonate. Or the bones, which use citric acid in the remodeling process to keep the bones healthy. Or urine can become alkaline during urinary tract infections due to the bacteria using the enzyme urease to split urea in to ammonia to protect itself from acidity of the urine.

But the most important pH we are concerned about is the blood since it is fluctuation in this pH that lead to death.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
You're quite wrong about white potatoes being higher in antioxidants than coffee. I looked its ORAC level up, and it's 1,138/100 grams: Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, baked ORAC Value / Antioxidant Level.
For coffee, one cup is in the 15,000-17,000 range. What is the ORAC value of a cup of coffee? : Ask Dr. Gourmet
ORAC does not mean much. It is used loosely as a sales tool, but does not really take in to account all the various antioxidant systems of the body. This is akin to looking at a single bearing and claiming to know what car it came from. People need to look at the whole puzzle, not just one piece.

Quote:
That said, it's true white potatoes are very alkaline, while coffee is very acidic. Overall, I'm not sure which is better: very alkaline food with little antioxidant value, or very acidic with very high antioxidants.
Actually there is no such thing as a truly alkalizing food. ALL foods will eventually metabolize in to acids, and most of the so-called "alkaline foods" are loaded with naturally occurring acids.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
The first link does not prove anything about an alkaline diet making the blood alkaline. If you read the study they point out the benefits if the alkaline diet comes from the increased nutritional value, not from making the blood alkaline.

When they do mention alkalizing they do this in reference to the use of bicarbonates, which are not part of an alkaline diet. This is like saying that Bayer aspirin is part of an acidic diet and thus can help in cases of alkalosis.

In the second link they state "Although protein is important for maintenance of muscle mass, eating fruits and vegetables that supply adequate amounts of potassium and magnesium are also relevant."

There is a major flaw here in the fact that they do not prove at any point that the diet has any alkalizing effect to begin with. They mention meats for example that contain various acids and fruits and vegetables that contain sugars and fibers that are metabolized in to acids. Both meats and fruits and vegetables also contain "alkaline salts". So why would one be "acid forming" and one "alkaline forming" when they all contain and produce acids and all contain "alkaline salts"?

The fact is that diet does not alkalize the blood. Our pH is maintained primarily by respiration followed by hydrogen ion retention or excretion by the kidneys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss