Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if someeone gave up sugar, but still ate foods that turned to sugars,,is that much of a difference??

i read a book years ago - that refined sugar is just about the root of all evil,,,pertaining to health..

ive done this for a couple months before- but a health professional said,,,eating high sugar fruits is about the same as eating an eclair...
I don't think the occasional piece of fruit or bowl of pasta is the problem. I'm going to continue to eat small quantities of fruit and pasta, but the fruit juice and sugar-sweetened tomato sauces are both gone. I'll let you know how it works out.

Anybody willing to join me? Come on. Try it for a week if a month is too much. We'll compare notes as we go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
I could probably do it. I had surgery in October and am having complications from it so everything I eat does not stay down. I have severe nausea all the time and it doesn't matter if I eat/drink something or not. Now, I even struggle with making food for my family. I haven't lost my appetite but the pain is so much that I get anxious about trying to eat. I lost too much weight the first three months so the surgeon put in a feeding tube in January. There is no end date in sight because it's dependent on my ability to keep food down.

However, prior to all of the above, I doubt I could manage it. I am not a big sweets eater but I love chocolate. I don't eat it every day, but I doubt I could have managed a year without it.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm going to give it a shot for one month, officially starting Monday, although today has been sugar-free, too. My family, unfortunately, is not at all interested in joining me, but I'm going to continue working on my husband.

I'm about halfway through the book. It's entertaining in the same way that many books of the same genre are, but it's real value is the bibliography. Next up is Sweet Poison by David Gillespie.

If you are doing it to get healthier and prevent type 2 diabetes, you need to also give up all sugar substitutes and artificial sweeteners as they do more damage than sugar. Sugar is almost nothing compared to the havoc they wreak on one's body.

I did the same thing with sugar for awhile long ago, but I set my own rules. The end result was that I cut back drastically (far more drastically than this family did), so I wouldn't really call giving it up. Long before that I gave up hydrogenated oils and chemicals in my dairy products. Do that along with sugar and artificial sweeteners and you will really get healthy!!!

As for this family, they really didn't give up sugar, they just cut back and ate less of it, and I really don't see what the big deal is. If you ever want to compare notes in your sacrifice, or need advice, feel free to message me anytime.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Artificial sweeteners aren't a problem for me, as I don't use them. I'll be fine. I'm knowledgeable enough to know what to avoid, but I do appreciate the offer of support. I feel very optimistic about what I'm attempting, although I don't expect it to be easy. Sugar is a highly-addictive substance, and I anticipate at least a few days if not more of painful withdrawal.

In the meantime, if anybody would like to see the 90-minute presentation by UCSF Pediatric Endocrinologist Robert Lustig that inspired The Year Without Sugar, Google "Sugar: The Bitter Truth."

Last edited by randomparent; 04-12-2014 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 06:21 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
We went almost sugar-free for a few months and the pounds dropped off, we felt much better as it seemed to help with allergies and sinus problems. And, yes, even now we eat very little and "sweet" doesn't taste as good and mostly everything store bought is too sweet. We have the same thing with salt and processed foods since I grew up in a cold climate where we ate very little salt compared to where I live now. Always watch for corn syrup in the ingredients and put it back on the shelf! It is just a matter of self-discipline and actually caring about your health that gives one the strength to resist temptation.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
I could not do it.

I try to monitor my sugar intake, I use raw sugar in my coffee but that's about it, but there is no way I could go a year without something sweet. Even a day.

Ironically I don't like fruit which is massively high in sugar so at least I'm saving calories there

I make most of my own sauces etc from scratch and don't eat processed food thereby avoiding a lot of hidden sugar, plus I eat a lot of leafy greens and raw veg so I think I can afford a can of coke or a bit of chocolate in there too.

Moderation in all things, etc.

Btw that corn syrup is desperately bad for you and they shove it in EVERYTHING even dishes you think are "savory" will have that poison in there. Avoid at all costs.

In Australia, the only major brand ice cream that uses real sugar, is Golden North. Kinda scary when you consider how much ice cream is sold here. The rest use corn syrup.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
We don't eat sugary things; as a matter of fact, we're low-carb in our eating. DH is allergic to corn and soy, so I already watch for corn syrup, corn oil, and cornstarch, and my arthritis reacts to wheat. I don't remember what it was, but I looked at the ingredients list on a label last week, and 4 of the first 5 ingredients were some version of sugar. Needless to say, I did not buy it. We eat berries, but not most other fruits, except in very small servings.

We do use a little bit of artificial sweetener, mostly in our coffee. It's pretty limited, though. We take our tea unsweetened, and same with iced tea.

I'm guessing we wouldn't have a problem with it. Good luck, and report back! You'll likely drop a few pounds; I'm down 18 pounds so far, and DH is down 10.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,666 times
My best guess is, the body needs some sugar.
After I was married for about a year, my wife asked me to grap a measure glass and put the amount of sugar in it I used in coffee in one week. It was a lot... like a cup and a half.
Stopped that and got used to it very quick.
Did give up salt at age 16, never put salt in anything. So, when getting a fries at Mc D, I just throw it away, it is absurd how much salt they toss on the fries.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
My best guess is, the body needs some sugar.
After I was married for about a year, my wife asked me to grap a measure glass and put the amount of sugar in it I used in coffee in one week. It was a lot... like a cup and a half.
Stopped that and got used to it very quick.
Did give up salt at age 16, never put salt in anything. So, when getting a fries at Mc D, I just throw it away, it is absurd how much salt they toss on the fries.

Good luck.
Your body can convert some protein to glucose. It's called gluconeogenesis.

Oh, and you can ask for fries with no salt at McDonald's. they will make fresh fries for you. That is a trick some people use to get really fresh fries.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:13 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Could you do it? I'm diabetic and should but it would be next to impossible without a tiny bit somewhere along the line.

The Latest Wacky Food Adventure: A Year Without Sugar : The Salt : NPR

It's close to impossible. Almost every food had sugar and those that don't have sugar outright turn into sugar (pasta, rice, etc)

What are you supposed to eat on this latest fad? Slabs of bacon? Lettuce? Water? You sure can't have any fruits, some veggies, breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss