Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I will! Today has been surprisingly easy. I started my day with a bowl of steel-cut oatmeal, blueberries, and a hard-boiled egg. Lunch was turkey roll-ups with cream cheese and veggies. I've had an apple and a clementine, but usually by this time of day I'm ransacking the pantry for sweets. We'll see how I am tomorrow, but so far, so good.

It struck me while reading the book that the two members of my family who do not seem to struggle with their weight at all both avoid sweets. In fact I don't think I've ever seen one of my siblings eat even a piece of chocolate, much less a slice of birthday cake since he was a small child. He says it just holds no appeal for him. My MIL is the same way. They're both extremely slim people, while the rest of us a little more plump. Lots of my family members have Type II diabetes, and I'd really like to prevent it if at all possible. Is this the key? Only one way to find out!
congrats, that apple was 18g's of sugar. The oatmeal ended up as glucose after you finished digesting it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
congrats, that apple was 18g's of sugar. The oatmeal ended up as glucose after you finished digesting it, too.
You're a genius! How could I possibly have gone so wrong? Sigh. Please, folks, take the time to read the book referenced in the first post. Better yet, read the book called Sweet Poison by David Gillespie. Most importantly, go watch the Daniel Lustig lecture called "The Bitter Truth." It's on YouTube. At that point come back, and we can talk about why the apple and steel-cut oats are not a problem. This is not Atkins with a new name.

Look, I know how this works. I spent three months eating this way last year after I was diagnosed with auto-immune disease. I ate fruit and whole grains in normal quantities, but I cut out the sweets completely. I lost 17 pounds in three months and got back to high school weight, but I let my guard down and the added sugars crept back into my life. It took awhile, but the weight came back on, and so did the hypoglycemia. I am now on day six of no added sugar. My cravings are gone, and I don't have the impulse to snack. Although I was having three fruits per day on the first couple of days, I've reduced that number to two, which I have with meals. I feel energetic and healthy, and I haven't had any headaches. Plus, I no longer feel like I need a nap if I sit down after lunch. My weight is down 1.5 pounds. I'd say thing are going very well.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-17-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM

145 posts, read 186,016 times
Hypoglycemia?

No normal person has hypoglycemia.

Low NORMAl glucose maybe, but not hypoglycemia.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Hypoglycemia?

No normal person has hypoglycemia.

Low NORMAl glucose maybe, but not hypoglycemia.
I've already mentioned that I come from a long line of type II diabetics. According to my endocrinologist, I do not have diabetes. After reviewing the results of my glucose tolerance test, hypoglycemia is the term he used to describe why I was having terrible swings in energy levels throughout the day, and I'm inclined to take his word for it.

Intuitively, I've always known that sugar was the problem, but it hasn't been until recently that I've accepted that I must commit to a no added sugar diet for the rest of my life. Even with all the success I had last year, I thought I could return to my previous way of eating with no consequences. So here I am back at square one, but with a better understanding of what added sugars do to my body. I'm ready to make a permanent change.

Cutting out the sweets and added sugars, but continuing to eat moderate amounts of whole grains and small amounts of fruit, has made a tremendous difference in my energy levels in only a week. I feel better than I have in a long time.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-17-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Cutting out the sweets and added sugars, but continuing to eat moderate amounts of whole grains and small amounts of fruit, has made a tremendous difference in my energy levels in only a week. I feel better than I have in a long time.
And it will keep getting easier and easier, I guarantee it. There will be bad times, but after about 3 mo even those will disappear.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Three months is when I fell off the wagon last time, so I'll have to be vigilant. It wasn't because I was craving sugar so much as eating it made life easier. Now that I understand the metabolic process that re-established the cravings, I think it will be easier to stay the course this time.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:46 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
You're a genius! How could I possibly have gone so wrong? Sigh. Please, folks, take the time to read the book referenced in the first post. Better yet, read the book called Sweet Poison by David Gillespie. Most importantly, go watch the Daniel Lustig lecture called "The Bitter Truth." It's on YouTube. At that point come back, and we can talk about why the apple and steel-cut oats are not a problem. This is not Atkins with a new name.

Look, I know how this works. I spent three months eating this way last year after I was diagnosed with auto-immune disease. I ate fruit and whole grains in normal quantities, but I cut out the sweets completely. I lost 17 pounds in three months and got back to high school weight, but I let my guard down and the added sugars crept back into my life. It took awhile, but the weight came back on, and so did the hypoglycemia. I am now on day six of no added sugar. My cravings are gone, and I don't have the impulse to snack. Although I was having three fruits per day on the first couple of days, I've reduced that number to two, which I have with meals. I feel energetic and healthy, and I haven't had any headaches. Plus, I no longer feel like I need a nap if I sit down after lunch. My weight is down 1.5 pounds. I'd say thing are going very well.
Have you spent months in a classroom learning about digestion and absorption of all the different macronutrients? Cause I have. But you are right, people with books to sell are definitely the people to listen to.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:14 PM

What was I thinking? Of course I should take the word of a twenty-something with a few months of nutrition education over the research of a board-certified endocrinologist and professor of clinical pediatrics.

I've been very clear in all of my posts that I am not cutting carbs or fruits out of my diet, but this forum, just like every other one here, is filled with condescending jerks, who enjoy throwing grenades into threads. I thought people here might be up for a little experiment and discussion about how our bodies respond to cutting out the added sugar. Apparently not. Fine, I get it. Carry on, but count me out. Find somebody else to impress with your months of studying macronutrients.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-17-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Have you spent months in a classroom learning about digestion and absorption of all the different macronutrients? Cause I have. But you are right, people with books to sell are definitely the people to listen to.

Tofur, why the hostility? I don't believe the OP was talking about cutting out any macronutrients so I'm not sure why this post. It was purely about added sugar, which no one needs. What is your attitude about added sugar? Do you believe we'd all be better off without it, esp if you're like me and can't control your sweet tooth?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
What was I thinking? Of course I should take the word of a twenty-something with a few months of nutrition education over the research of a board-certified endocrinologist and professor of clinical pediatrics.

I've been very clear in all of my posts that I am not cutting carbs or fruits out of my diet, but this forum, just like every other one here, is filled with condescending jerks, who enjoy throwing grenades into threads. I thought people here might be up for a little experiment and discussion about how our bodies respond to cutting out the added sugar. Apparently not. Fine, I get it. Carry on, but count me out. Find somebody else to impress with your months of studying macronutrients.
Eh ignore the self righteous BS

I'm interested to see how you go!
Cutting out added sugar or refined sugar has improved my health and well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss