Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Day two: Feeling great this morning. Slept very well! Had a cup of unsweetened hot tea and a hard-boiled egg before my workout. Breakfast was a generous bowl of steel cut oats and a 1/2 cup of blueberries with a splash of half & half with another cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Day two: Feeling great this morning. Slept very well! Had a cup of unsweetened hot tea and a hard-boiled egg before my workout. Breakfast was a generous bowl of steel cut oats and a 1/2 cup of blueberries with a splash of half & half with another cup of tea.
Be prepared, headaches are on the way until you really get used to it. They can be really nasty but they will pass.

The blueberries have sugar. The 1/2 & 1/2 has lactose which is also a sugar. I know, you mean refined sugar or processed but just know that sugar comes is so many forms, doing without it completely in natural states is both nearly impossible and unhealthful.

Sugar found in foods is a necessary ingredient for processing those foods and deriving energy. Watch out for the euphoria thinking things are doing great when you've actually reduced natural sugars to the point where things aren't working right. It can happen.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM

Jesus, folks, how many times do I have to explain this? The idea is to remove added sugar, specifically fructose, from one's diet, not to stop eating fruit! Milk and small amounts of whole fruit (not juice), like the blueberries in my oatmeal, are a-okay. Refined fructose, as in honey, agave, and table sugar are not. This is NOT Atkins with a new name. I am still eating plenty of carbohydrates. Did any of you even glance at the book or any of the research that inspired it?

Last edited by randomparent; 04-13-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I know, I'm about to fall over in total amusement at those referring to this as a fad. I wish it were--I do believe the stuff is worse than cigarettes--at least in the quantities that most people consume it in. Consider this: sugar feeds cancer! I have gone off of added sugar completely, and starches too, and have lost 24 lbs since 12/26/13 and have postponed surgery and my cancer has not grown at all--seems to have even shrunk. They are testing metformin on breast cancer patients and having success with it--maybe going off the sugar would work just as well?

Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if someeone gave up sugar, but still ate foods that turned to sugars,,is that much of a difference??

i read a book years ago - that refined sugar is just about the root of all evil,,,pertaining to health..

ive done this for a couple months before- but a health professional said,,,eating high sugar fruits is about the same as eating an eclair...
Yes. About to read "Pure, White & Deadly" by John Yudkin....

Quote:
I don't think the occasional piece of fruit or bowl of pasta is the problem. I'm going to continue to eat small quantities of fruit and pasta, but the fruit juice and sugar-sweetened tomato sauces are both gone. I'll let you know how it works out.

Anybody willing to join me? Come on. Try it for a week if a month is too much. We'll compare notes as we go along.
I have given up refined sugar and have never felt better. I look forward to hearing your experiences, which I have no doubt will be positive.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM

Day three: feeling pretty good. I am craving sweets, but no headaches. Today my energy levels flagged, but that may be because I had a poor night's sleep. Got a bucketful of pistachios at the grocery store today for snacking. Eating a couple of pieces of fruit a day, plus whole grains. Bread is going to be a problem, because I'm accustomed to making honey whole wheat at home. Not sure how to feed the yeast without honey or table sugar. May stop by a brewing store for dextrose, which is straight glucose, and start experimenting.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:35 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Day three: feeling pretty good. I am craving sweets, but no headaches. Today my energy levels flagged, but that may be because I had a poor night's sleep. Got a bucketful of pistachios at the grocery store today for snacking. Eating a couple of pieces of fruit a day, plus whole grains. Bread is going to be a problem, because I'm accustomed to making honey whole wheat at home. Not sure how to feed the yeast without honey or table sugar. May stop by a brewing store for dextrose, which is straight glucose, and start experimenting.
RP, there is enough sugar in the flour to feed the yeast, but the thing to keep in mind is that the yeast eats the sugar so there isn't any left for you.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Good point. I think I'm going to have to some experimenting. I live at altitude, and home-made bread can be tricky here. Honey whole wheat is a fail-safe recipe for me. It's easy enough for me to do without bread -- I'm at home for lunch most of the time, so I can get my carbs from other sources -- but the rest of my family loves a good sandwich. While I'm not asking them to cut out sugar, I am working to eliminate the hidden sugars from the foods I buy and prepare for them.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Make sure that you read the labelling on any products that you use. You would be surprised how much sugar is infused into everyday food products.

Good luck and please let us know how you feel afterwards.
Easy.
Don't eat prepackaged food.
They should be avoided anyway.
So that makes it a bit easier.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Easy.
Don't eat prepackaged food.
They should be avoided anyway.
So that makes it a bit easier.
Most of what we buy isn't pre-packaged, but there are some things that I just don't have the time or inclination to make at home all the time, like mayonnaise and chicken broth. Both contain sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss