Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

No health group is recommending that people "Eat butter", its odd how much the scientific consensus is ignored by all the diet fads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:23 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think that the number of people who actually continue with the Atkins program for long term is extremely rare.
And you base this on a study, an article, what? I assume you knew a couple of people who tried it, lost weight, gave it up and gained the weight back, and from that you draw this conclusion?

How many people do you know who went on a low-fat, calorie restricted diet who kept that up for their entire lives?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:28 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No health group is recommending that people "Eat butter", its odd how much the scientific consensus is ignored by all the diet fads.
Scientific consensus gave us low fat diets. Worked very well for us, didn't it

Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
And you base this on a study, an article, what? I assume you knew a couple of people who tried it, lost weight, gave it up and gained the weight back, and from that you draw this conclusion?

How many people do you know who went on a low-fat, calorie restricted diet who kept that up for their entire lives?
Over the years I have ready many studies on this and other diets (I cannot name any sources at the moment but if you care to google it you will find plenty of information) and the BIGGEST drawback of this diet is the inability to stay on it for the long term.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Scientific consensus gave us low fat diets. Worked very well for us, didn't it
Low fat diets do work well when done right, but Americans never ate low-fat diets. At no point did Americans reduce the amount of fat, in grams, that they consume. But the consensus has moved away from a blanket recommendation to eat less fat and instead has focused on eating less saturated fat and trans fat.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:25 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Low fat diets do work well when done right, but Americans never ate low-fat diets. At no point did Americans reduce the amount of fat, in grams, that they consume. But the consensus has moved away from a blanket recommendation to eat less fat and instead has focused on eating less saturated fat and trans fat.
That's the point, isn't it. More and more research shows that just about every diet based on whole foods is good when done right. More and more studies are showing saturated fat is not only not bad, it's good. When the medical community finally has been hit upon the head with the giant hammer that is diet reform, they'll finally admit to changing their views. High protein, high fat, low carb is good. High protein, high carb, low fat is good.

And how did Americans not reduce their fat intake? Avocados, eggs, coconut and all those others were terrible for you because of the fat content. Simply put, "fat is bad" has been the message for decades.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:46 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Once upon a time, scientists and other intellectual experts were positively sure that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth.

Scientists have been proven wrong before, and they will again.

I see here we have another progressive magazine cover saying "Scientists were wrong about fat." This comes years after the US government and all of their official health officials told Americans to cut the fat out of their diet. We did. Now we're obese.

And people wonder why there's so much confusion about what's healthy and safe and what's not.

On another page of that same magazine TIME has likely also claimed "You're anti-science if you don't believe in global warming."

So we see again how science 'experts' and the media cancel one another out. I say, continue to live your life and ignore the science experts who get paid by somebody to spread fear and disinformation to the masses.

When science and the media told us years ago that eggs were bad because they contained cholesterol I continued to eat my scrambled eggs every day including the evil yellow egg yolks. I didn't switch to egg whites only, nor did I switch to eating that disgusting Egg Beater stuff. My cholesterol numbers continue to be healthy, and I eat bacon too. Science experts be damned.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
That's the point, isn't it. More and more research shows that just about every diet based on whole foods is good when done right.
The research hasn't shown that all diets are equivalent so long as they are based on whole foods and butter isn't a whole food, its isolated milk fat.

Quote:
More and more studies are showing saturated fat is not only not bad, it's good.
Studies aren't showing that saturated fat is good, instead what they've been showing is that refined carbohydrates may be just as bad as saturated fat so you need a dual recommendation to limit saturated fat [b]and[/i] refined carbohydrates.

Quote:
And how did Americans not reduce their fat intake? Avocados, eggs, coconut and all those others were terrible for you because of the fat content.
How? By not reducing their fat intake....Americans don't pay much attention to health recommendations.

"The decrease in the percentage of kcals from fat during 1971--1991 is attributed to an increase in total kcals consumed; absolute fat intake in grams increased"

Trends in Intake of Energy and Macronutrients --- United States, 1971--2000

Americans at no point have consumed low-fat diets.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:25 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Once upon a time, scientists and other intellectual experts were positively sure that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth.

Scientists have been proven wrong before, and they will again.

I see here we have another progressive magazine cover saying "Scientists were wrong about fat." This comes years after the US government and all of their official health officials told Americans to cut the fat out of their diet. We did. Now we're obese.

And people wonder why there's so much confusion about what's healthy and safe and what's not.

On another page of that same magazine TIME has likely also claimed "You're anti-science if you don't believe in global warming."

So we see again how science 'experts' and the media cancel one another out. I say, continue to live your life and ignore the science experts who get paid by somebody to spread fear and disinformation to the masses.

When science and the media told us years ago that eggs were bad because they contained cholesterol I continued to eat my scrambled eggs every day including the evil yellow egg yolks. I didn't switch to egg whites only, nor did I switch to eating that disgusting Egg Beater stuff. My cholesterol numbers continue to be healthy, and I eat bacon too. Science experts be damned.
lol yeah, the egg example is one everyone should keep in mind. We now know cholesterol from food doesn't really matter a whole lot, our body produces much more. Insulin triggers that production, so staying insulin sensitive is what really matters(for the laymen out there, when you eat carbs(and protein to a lesser extent) the body releases insulin to control blood sugar, the more sensitive you are the less insulin needs to be released to get the job done. Insulin resistance eventually=diabetes and high cholesterol among other things). We need some insulin, it's when we have an abundance of it that things get out of whack.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
We now know cholesterol from food doesn't really matter a whole lot, our body produces much more.
The research hasn't shown that dietary cholesterol doesn't matter, instead it has shown that once you're already eating a high level of cholesterol eating more only has a marginal effect on your health. For example, if you add 1 egg a day to the typical American diet you only see a small increase in disease risk but if you do the same to a vegetarian/semi-vegetarian (who eat much less cholesterol as a group) you see a big jump in disease risk.

Its possible that the primary issue is oxidized cholesterol but since cholesterol is oxidized by exposure to high heat that would mean most of the cholesterol rich foods people eat contain oxidized cholesterol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss