Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:47 AM

283 posts, read 385,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Decades of research has shown that the consumption of whole grains, including whole wheat, has a number of health benefits. Lower risk of heart disease, lower risk of type 2 diabetes, etc. Shredded wheat is just 100% whole wheat made into a biscuit shape.
LOL @ very high glycemic index shredded wheat being healthy.

Oh well, I guess now is as good of a time as any to put the hammer down on this discussion now. 25 year vegetarian and researcher at Stanford school of Medicine Christopher Gardner does a large scale well controlled study pitting Atkins vs. ZONE vs. Ornish/McDougall vs. LEARN (standard recommended one) diet.

At the end, he is quoted as saying "As a vegetarian, the results were a bitter pill to swallow".

The Battle of the Diets: Is Anyone Winning (At Losing?) - YouTube

Atkins wins EVERYWHERE.

Atkins wins heart disease risk factors (higher HDL, lower Triglycerides) by statistically significant factor.
Atkins wins in losing weight
Atkins won on blood pressure lowering (both systolic and diastolic) at a statistically significant level vs. Ornish.
Atkins (I believe) also wins in the # of people being able to stick to the diet

...and people weren't even religiously following the ketogenic principles of Atkins, but they were eating a ton of saturated fat.

I applaud Gardner for reporting results that were contrary to his personal opinion on the matter.

Gary Taubes, winner of the Science in Society Award of the National Association of Science Writers three times and awarded an MIT Knight Science Journalism Fellowship for 1996-97 recently posted his lipid profile after being on an Atkins like diet.

Before sugar, we were talking about cholesterol

HDL 68
LDL 116
Tris 64

The Tri/HDL ratio is UNDER 1. That is phenomenal, and since LDL esp large buoyant LDL like Gary has mean nothing as far as heart attack risk and HDL/Tri ratio is a much more reliable measurement, it is safe to assume that all the bacon, eggs, cheese, etc he has every morning of his life as well as all the animal fat and vegetables throughout the day is all heart healthy.

Anyone who is on an Ornish type diet will most certainly have higher triglycerides and lower HDLs, meaning they statistically will be at higher risk of heart disease than someone who eats steak, eggs, and cheese but eats low-carb. Oh the irony.

Game. Set. Match.

Last edited by saigafreak; 06-16-2014 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:03 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That depends on the Native Americans in question - they didn't all eat corn and sweet potatoes, you know.

Also, this?

I suppose "enjoy" is a relative term. My way of "enjoying" Shredded Wheat involves regurgitation.
I completely concur with you on Shredded Wheat. The last time I ate it I finally realized that THAT was what tore my stomach up for the entire day. Formerly I would have thought it to be some stomach bug. Same thing happens if I eat Raisin Bran - tears my digestive tract apart.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I was confusing the shredded wheat with some other cereals, that -do- strip the nutrients in the processing, and then "fortify" the product with supplemental nutrients. UID is right, and that's even better news! Shredded wheat is just 100% wheat.

The only people this product is unhealthy for, are those who have wheat/gluten issues. For everyone else, it is a healthy, natural food.

Oh and the glycemic index issues, to whoever was ranting and raving about that - it only relevant if you have glycemic index issues. If you are a healthy person who gets plenty of exercise, eats a variety of nutritious foods in moderate portions, then there is nothing about the glycemic index of foods you need to worry about.

Heartsong and Emeraldmaiden and whoever else - if Shredded Wheat is ripping up your digestive system or causing you to vomit, then there's something wrong with YOU that's making it happen. There's nothing wrong with the food. If the food was the culprit, then everyone who ate it would have ripped up digestive tracts, or be vomiting every time they ate it.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
...then there's something wrong with YOU that's making it happen. There's nothing wrong with the food...
Ah, the catch-all excuse in defense of modified dwarf wheat. Another thing I notice when I was low-fat, high carb was that my skin was pastier and whiter than it is now on a high-fat diet. On a high fat diet, I don't need sunscreen as much. I suppose I should just blame my physiology for not being able to sustain a proper pigmentation.

The glycemic index is important to anyone who is not a professional athlete or blessed with a superior metabolism. I do notice that ex-athletes tend to put on a lot of weight around their belly after they're done professional sports. Perhaps it's because they are no longer exercising at that intensity level but still eating the "healthy" high glycemic products they've been eating for years?

But, here's another example:

Quote:
It's difficult to get health authorities to talk about the disconnection between their official recommendations and the scientific evidence that underlies it because they want to encourage us to exercise, even if their primary reason for doing so is highly debatable. Steve Blair, for instance, a University of South Carolina exercise scientist, says he was 'short, fat, and bald' when he started running in his thirties and he is short, fatter and balder now, at age 68. In the intervening years, he estimates, he has run close to 80,000 miles and gained about 30lb.

When I asked Blair whether he thought he might be leaner had he run even more, he had to think about it. 'I don't see how I could have been more active,' he said. 'Thirty years ago, I was running 50 miles a week. I had no time to do more. But if I could have gone out over the last couple of decades for two to three hours a day, maybe I would not have gained this weight.'
I guess he just needed some more free time to log in another 100,000 miles of running? LOL

Fortunately, Atkins works at weight loss and heart disease risk factor for just about everyone without exception. One need not make excuses for the meat, eggs, oil or anything else.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Ah, the catch-all excuse in defense of modified dwarf wheat. Another thing I notice when I was low-fat, high carb was that my skin was pastier and whiter than it is now on a high-fat diet. On a high fat diet, I don't need sunscreen as much. I suppose I should just blame my physiology for not being able to sustain a proper pigmentation.

The glycemic index is important to anyone who is not a professional athlete or blessed with a superior metabolism. I do notice that ex-athletes tend to put on a lot of weight around their belly after they're done professional sports. Perhaps it's because they are no longer exercising at that intensity level but still eating the "healthy" high glycemic products they've been eating for years?

But, here's another example:

I guess he just needed some more free time to log in another 100,000 miles of running? LOL

Fortunately, Atkins works at weight loss and heart disease risk factor for just about everyone without exception. One need not make excuses for the meat, eggs, oil or anything else.
No, he just needed to stop relying on exercise to get his weight down. He should have eaten LESS...less whatever it was that he was eating too much of. If he was eating a whole lot of carbs, then he should've eaten less of it. If he was eating too much fat, he should've eaten less of it. If he was eating the exact perfect proportions of all nutrients - except in triple the amounts that he needed - then he should've eaten less of everything he was eating.

As for your skin being pasty and white, I don't see any correlation whatseover. Your skin color has to do with 1) genetics and natural melatonin production 2) overall health 3) absorption of sunlight. Eating bread doesn't make skin pasty.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
No, he just needed to stop relying on exercise to get his weight down. He should have eaten LESS...less whatever it was that he was eating too much of. If he was eating a whole lot of carbs, then he should've eaten less of it. If he was eating too much fat, he should've eaten less of it. If he was eating the exact perfect proportions of all nutrients - except in triple the amounts that he needed - then he should've eaten less of everything he was eating.
Then I simply don't understand how I gain weight and hurt my cholesterol and BP numbers under a low-fat diet with more exercise yet lose weight and improve my cholesterol and BP numbers on a high-fat diet with less exercise.

Steve Blair was living in negative energy mode, meaning he was, according to the conventional calculations, burning more calories than he was consuming. It was simply the insulin stimulation that was driving the starches (cereals, potatoes, corn, etc) into his fat cells. He was not suppressing insulin long enough for the triglycerides to break down into their constituent components to escape the fat cells.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Different diets work for different individuals. There is no 'one size fits all'. If a high fat, low carb diet works for an individual then that is what they should follow. If an 'everything in moderation' diets works then that should be followed. Not everyone has a problem with wheat. Not everyone wants to eat meats and high fat foods. Not everyone wants to eliminate food groups or highly restrict them.
Find a way of eating that works for you and do it. There is no right or wrong way.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Different diets work for different individuals. There is no 'one size fits all'. If a high fat, low carb diet works for an individual then that is what they should follow. If an 'everything in moderation' diets works then that should be followed. Not everyone has a problem with wheat. Not everyone wants to eat meats and high fat foods. Not everyone wants to eliminate food groups or highly restrict them.
Find a way of eating that works for you and do it. There is no right or wrong way.
I agree. SE Asians may genetically prefer higher carb diets, assuming they prohibit sugar throughout their lives, preventing insulin resistance from taking hold. Given enough generations, I'm sure modern Western diets can biologically adapt to fructose and sugar. Of course, it'll take many generations of people dying before the age of 50 to get there.

I just don't get how people readily accept hormonal issues for certain types of fat accumulation (e.g. lipodystrophy), yet invoke some vague "overeating" or CI/CO hand-waving nonsense for the general obesity epidemic.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
I was confusing the shredded wheat with some other cereals, that -do- strip the nutrients in the processing, and then "fortify" the product with supplemental nutrients. UID is right, and that's even better news! Shredded wheat is just 100% wheat.

The only people this product is unhealthy for, are those who have wheat/gluten issues. For everyone else, it is a healthy, natural food.

Oh and the glycemic index issues, to whoever was ranting and raving about that - it only relevant if you have glycemic index issues. If you are a healthy person who gets plenty of exercise, eats a variety of nutritious foods in moderate portions, then there is nothing about the glycemic index of foods you need to worry about.

Heartsong and Emeraldmaiden and whoever else - if Shredded Wheat is ripping up your digestive system or causing you to vomit, then there's something wrong with YOU that's making it happen. There's nothing wrong with the food. If the food was the culprit, then everyone who ate it would have ripped up digestive tracts, or be vomiting every time they ate it.
Yeah, I have wheat issues, BUT the issue with Shredded Wheat is that it tastes like eating sticks and straw. I only WANT to vomit when I eat it because it tastes horrible.

IOW, you might have taken my post too seriously. Lighten up. Maybe the cereal makes you cranky and you need some protein in the morning.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 AM

781 posts, read 736,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Decades of research has shown that the consumption of whole grains, including whole wheat, has a number of health benefits. Lower risk of heart disease, lower risk of type 2 diabetes, etc. Shredded wheat is just 100% whole wheat made into a biscuit shape.
Any clinical studies? Observational studies prove f@#$ all nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RXvBveht0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss