Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

I didn't see you mention how tall you were, but your BMR is going to be 1800+/- calories. Depending on what that rate is exactly and any potential errors in calorie estimation, it's possible you may be eating in a small surplus daily. Knowing that you lost weight on low carb (which sort of tricks you into lowering calorie intake through food choice) but having trouble now would seemingly support that assumption.

I would still encourage you to get out the scales and measuring cups for at least a couple days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 01:53 PM

605 posts, read 704,651 times
Don't focus so much on the weight day by day - it will vary, as it is supposed to.

One thing that has helped me when I STARTED to become more healthier was just simply logging everything I ate (I use My Fitness Pal, but there are other apps and programs out there that are equally helpful). It helps you to become more mindful of what you put into your body.

Once you assess what are you eating, then you can start making do-able changes. A drastic change typically does not work - we are creatures of habit. If you make small changes, stick with it for at least two weeks, you are more likely to make it a permanent change. For example, make it a point to cut out or lessen sauces and marinades when you cook. Try cooking with just herbs instead for flavor. Another change you can do is swap out brown rice for white rice.

I don't recommend these fad diets or weird herbal replacement programs. A lot of them are just short-term weight loses and will not help you develop a life-long healthy lifestyle change. They do help the inventors and sellers become rich, however.

I too, am Asian, and I do love rice! But I have had to cut down on my rice in-take. So rather than having a big bowl of rice with whatever I'm eating, I now just have 1/2 a cup and enjoy more fish, lean chicken, steamed veggies, or whatever it is I am eating with the rice.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on here and I am glad I found a forum dedicated to losing weight. Since this is a forum where I can seek motivation, I am going to be totally honest about myself. I am 25 years old, a mother to 2 little boys (Aged 2.5 and turning 1), and weight 230 lbs. That number is embarrassing for me since I used to be tiny (around 125 was the highest I used to weigh).

I have been going on a diet but havent had the time to incorporate any vigorous exercise routine yet. I do go to the gym, but not consistently. I have started a detox (3 days ago, I think) and started the garcinia cambogia diet pills. It had super high reviews and I know its worked wonders for many. I am also drinking Green Tea Hawaii, which is also supposed to help. Since I take all 3 together at the moment (detox is just 14 days), I need to drink a lot of water.

I have always been bad at drinking an adequate amount of water. Most days, I dont even drink over a glass. I know its bad, thats why I am trying to work on that now. I am up to drinking 6 glass a day (hoping to get to 8 glass soon). Each glass is about 10 oz of water, so I am drinking about 60 oz. The water makes me feel so sick. I feel full, which means I dont have room for food, but it also means my weight has increased. My weekly weigh in are on Thursdays and last thursday I weighed 231.4. Ideally, I want to LOSE something each week. Even 1 lb is acceptable so it can keep me motivated, but nope. I actually weigh 230 - 231 each morning. I am paranoid with gaining more weight on top of what I already weigh so I am weighing myself every morning to make sure I am on track, at least for now. My official weigh in is in two days (where I actually record the weight) and by the looks of it, I am probably up 1-2 lbs since last week, not -1 or -2 lbs like I am supposed to be. What is happening to me? I dont use salt in my food, I know I dont eat a high sodium diet, so why is this water making me gain weight? If I dont see a loss on Thursday, I dont know how I am going to go on and lose weight. Thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, I had labs drawn last Friday and results came back healthy, no diabetes, thyroid problems or anything like that. Completely healthy besides being overweight.
Oh, girlfriend, so many issues, don't know where to start, agggh. I will start with how you got to where you are. I'm thinking, barring any health issues, which you didn't mention, you are simply an American mom, living in our world, probably a good mom, doting on your kids, therefore not much time for yourself. So when you do eat, you might eat high calorie items that taste good. It really doesn't take a binge or crazy eating to overeat, due to the fact that depending on your height, you need no more than about 1900 calories a day.

Do not call your efforts to lose weight a "diet." It is a lifestyle change, unless you just want temporary weight loss. Do you? I didn't think so.

Detox? I was drinking the equivalent of 7 beers, or 1 1/3 bottles of wine per night for years, and when I quit overnight, I didn't even detox. Our bodies detox themselves just fine. DITCH THE DETOX. Complete waste of time, it's quackery, to borrow a word from another thread.
Garcinia cambogia??? Really??? It's worked wonders for many??? Yeah, wonders on emptying their wallets. I highly doubt it has helped ANYone, unless it was the placebo effect. Throw those away immediately, crush them up and throw them in the toilet, I wouldn't even want your trash can to suffer from ingesting them.
Green tea Hawaii??? For cripes sake, no, just no. Do you really think drinking tea can help you lose weight? Don't you think that if it was that easy and real, so many more people would gulp down that crap and be skinny? Just boil some water, throw some coffee grounds in it, add green food coloring and close your eyes and imagine you hear hula music. It will have the same effect.

Water drinking is a great idea, but I honestly don't even know if that helps all that much with weight loss. I admittedly don't enjoy drinking water, so haven't tested the theory.

What you need to do, if you want to lose weight, is track your calories, using something like LoseIt, figure out how many calories YOUR body needs daily to lose, and stick with it. It might be low, like 1500. So you'll have to start eating things that are not high in calories, like greens, fruits, salads, soups, small servings of lean protein, cheese, carrots for noshing, etc. Lay off the high calorie dressings, processed foods, cookies, white breads, etc. Start paying attention to what you eat daily. Write it down.

Please "digest" what I've written here and discard the pills and the teas and the quackery immediately. There is NO magic pill. You got fat by eating too much, you'll get thinner by eating what you're supposed to eat.

Oh, and I forgot, yeah, exercise is good. When you do it consistently. You cannot outrun a bad diet. You must incorporate exercise into your life probably 5 days a week AND keep your calorie count in budget, or the exercise will have no bearing on your weight loss.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Each glass is about 10 oz of water, so I am drinking about 60 oz. The water makes me feel so sick. I feel full, which means I dont have room for food
That's the whole point - the water is to help you feel full, in addition to properly hydrating your cells so they can do their respective jobs. Drinking water also gives something for your hands and mouth to do, which helps if you're a boredom eater, or the type who has been eating and drinking constantly throughout the day.

Sip the water, don't chug it. That will help you feel less "sick" when you drink.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on here and I am glad I found a forum dedicated to losing weight. Since this is a forum where I can seek motivation, I am going to be totally honest about myself. I am 25 years old, a mother to 2 little boys (Aged 2.5 and turning 1), and weight 230 lbs. That number is embarrassing for me since I used to be tiny (around 125 was the highest I used to weigh).

I have been going on a diet but havent had the time to incorporate any vigorous exercise routine yet. I do go to the gym, but not consistently. I have started a detox (3 days ago, I think) and started the garcinia cambogia diet pills. It had super high reviews and I know its worked wonders for many. I am also drinking Green Tea Hawaii, which is also supposed to help. Since I take all 3 together at the moment (detox is just 14 days), I need to drink a lot of water.

I have always been bad at drinking an adequate amount of water. Most days, I dont even drink over a glass. I know its bad, thats why I am trying to work on that now. I am up to drinking 6 glass a day (hoping to get to 8 glass soon). Each glass is about 10 oz of water, so I am drinking about 60 oz. The water makes me feel so sick. I feel full, which means I dont have room for food, but it also means my weight has increased. My weekly weigh in are on Thursdays and last thursday I weighed 231.4. Ideally, I want to LOSE something each week. Even 1 lb is acceptable so it can keep me motivated, but nope. I actually weigh 230 - 231 each morning. I am paranoid with gaining more weight on top of what I already weigh so I am weighing myself every morning to make sure I am on track, at least for now. My official weigh in is in two days (where I actually record the weight) and by the looks of it, I am probably up 1-2 lbs since last week, not -1 or -2 lbs like I am supposed to be. What is happening to me? I dont use salt in my food, I know I dont eat a high sodium diet, so why is this water making me gain weight? If I dont see a loss on Thursday, I dont know how I am going to go on and lose weight. Thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, I had labs drawn last Friday and results came back healthy, no diabetes, thyroid problems or anything like that. Completely healthy besides being overweight.

Unfortunately you're making the common mistake of most dieters by actually going on a diet in the first place and expecting instant results from faddy regimes.
Thinks of how many years it took you to gain that weight and then reckon on losing it over many months rather than a few weeks.
Institute a regular eating pattern of whatever makes you comfortable to lose weight - probably around 1500 calories - and massively increase the amount of exercise you take even if it's only fast walking rather than occasional visits to the gym.
You must do both of these things every day for many days but I promise you the weight will come off.
And for it to be realistic weight loss it shouldn't be more than a couple of pounds a week.
Above all never,ever allow yourself to get hungry,Eat wagonloads of green vegetables,cut out most starchy things and always grill your meat which should be lean and preferably white.
But above all, and in answer to your question, drink lots and lots of water. It really is the stuff of life.
Consider buying a filter jug and keep it in the refrigerator so it's always ice cold.
And try squeezing some fresh limes into it or buy sparkling water and do the same to have zero calorie spritzer.
WATER HAS NO CALORIES IN IT AND DOES NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT.EVER.PERIOD.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Unfortunately you're making the common mistake of most dieters by actually going on a diet in the first place and expecting instant results from faddy regimes.
Thinks of how many years it took you to gain that weight and then reckon on losing it over many months rather than a few weeks.
Institute a regular eating pattern of whatever makes you comfortable to lose weight - probably around 1500 calories - and massively increase the amount of exercise you take even if it's only fast walking rather than occasional visits to the gym.
You must do both of these things every day for many days but I promise you the weight will come off.
And for it to be realistic weight loss it shouldn't be more than a couple of pounds a week.
Above all never,ever allow yourself to get hungry,Eat wagonloads of green vegetables,cut out most starchy things and always grill your meat which should be lean and preferably white.
But above all, and in answer to your question, drink lots and lots of water. It really is the stuff of life.
Consider buying a filter jug and keep it in the refrigerator so it's always ice cold.
And try squeezing some fresh limes into it or buy sparkling water and do the same to have zero calorie spritzer.
WATER HAS NO CALORIES IN IT AND DOES NOT MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT.EVER.PERIOD.
Your post was decent, except for the bolded parts. Those parts are wrong and very wrong, respectively.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Your post was decent, except for the bolded parts. Those parts are wrong and very wrong, respectively.
Please expound?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Please expound?
- Obese beginners can usually lose significantly more than 2lbs per week, and safely as well.

- Water has weight, so the claim that water cannot make you gain weight is ridiculous. Perhaps Roscoe meant it cannot make you gain fat, which would be correct.

Last edited by McBain II; 06-25-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 12:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Trick to drinking water 101:

Put an inch of your fave juice in it...add lime and
the miracle....drum roll....a STRAW!

(Never ice, btw) Reduce salt, big time.
And best wishes...

Old 06-25-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
- Obese beginners can usually lose significantly more than 2lbs per week, and safely as well.

- Water has weight, so the claim that water cannot make you gain weight is ridiculous. Perhaps Roscoe meant it cannot make you gain fat, which would be correct.
You are a brave one, Mr. McBain. I'm still hoping and praying the "loose weight" will stop and that people will stop saying muscle weighs more than fat.

I think we all know what Roscoe meant, that the average person who is trying to lose weight usually has about 40 lbs. to lose, and they should not shoot for more than 2 lbs. a week, because that is simply not sustainable, or if they do it, it won't last long. And, yes, that water will not cause fat gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss