Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,300,036 times

Advertisements

Don't bother with pills, detoxing, or measure how much water you drink. Drink water when your trusty don't drink sugary drinks. It really comes down to eating less doing more. All you need to do is eat low gycemic food and exercise everyday even if you only do 30 minutes on a treadmill. I have been obese for 20 years and I once lost 50lbs but gained it back because I went back to the old ways of eating junk food high gycemic food this was in 2001. I was recenlty diagnosed pre-diabetic. I started my plan to dump the weight on my B-day 5/30. Now I'm down from 220 to 208 in just 30 days on my new plan to do it again. What you want are carbs that burn slower not fast burning at least limit that. Eat Fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. Example is fish and chicken meat is okay but I would limit that to once in awhile. Once you dump the yo yo effect of fast burning carbs you won't feel such a hunger when your body hits the time of the day it's used to getting fast burning carbs. The reason is your body is used to pumping a lot of insulin to counter the high carb meals when you don't feed it the hunger pain is worse then anything. Then you eat a lot of high carb food and feel lousy afterwards as it burns off really fast. Once you break your body of this cycle and move to a slow burning carb and higher protein food you won't feel so hungry. My first goal is to get to 200 lbs which is where I was 7 years ago. Once I hit 200 which is just about 6 lbs away I will set a goal of 180lbs. Break up your goals to something you can do. Set a bottom line which you won't compromise on. I have to go to the gym at least 4-5 days a week, or I won't ever eat this type of food. Good luck and don't give up once you see the first 15 lbs melt off you won't look back. Once I got into the gym 5-6 days a week the lb's melted off fast. I alternate cardo, and then the next day weight training. I do lower body then upper body alternating days. I lift light weights higher repetitions usually 3-4 sets of 20 or until my feel the burn getting too much don't forget to stretch out. My first 2 weeks in the gym I felt like I was going to pass out after got out of there but that has passed now I feel great. I feel so much better My BP has dropped from 180/85 to 172/70 in just 1 month. My personal opinion is you really have to exercise almost every day maybe 5-6 days a week I don't think 3 days a week is enough.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/glycemic-index-diet

Last edited by kell490; 07-01-2015 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 08:36 PM

586 posts, read 831,024 times
Thanks for all your advises so far. I think I am down 4 lbs now. Overall, how long does it take for me to look slighly difference? I know that I really overweight so it takes awhile for people to notice. Would the first 15 lbs make me go shopping for new clothes? I am setting mini goals in 10-15 lb increments. So 6-11 more pounds before I reach my first goal.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Overall, how long does it take for me to look slighly difference?
I can tell you that if you're like most people (myself included), others will see it before you do. We are always much harder on ourselves.

Quote:
Would the first 15 lbs make me go shopping for new clothes?
More than likely, yes.

Quote:
I am setting mini goals in 10-15 lb increments. So 6-11 more pounds before I reach my first goal.
Short term goals are good, and keep up the good work.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:33 PM

586 posts, read 831,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I can tell you that if you're like most people (myself included), others will see it before you do. We are always much harder on ourselves.

More than likely, yes.

Short term goals are good, and keep up the good work.
Thanks! The reason I ask is because a lot of people talk about water weight and that it wouldnt make a difference to the way people look.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:16 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I dunno, I don't really like the idea of a diet that makes you feel sick until you get used to it. I tried the Atkins diet for 24 hours once. At the end of that most miserable time, I was perched on a stool in front of my stovetop, gnawing on a baguette and waiting for my pot of broccoli to cook.

Check out the MyFitnessPal app. People I know have had great success with it, and I have just started using it.

Don't drink just water - SIP tea (I usually have no less than 5 varieties in my cupboard) and water flavored with lemon/lime/mint/cucumber/basil/etc. Mess around with it and find combos that you like.

Veggies and lean meats done on the grill are a really tasty and healthy meal.

Take up meditation. It helps with controlling food-related urges.

Get enough sleep. Hard with kids in that age group, but seriously, it makes a big difference.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Thanks for all your advises so far. I think I am down 4 lbs now. Overall, how long does it take for me to look slighly difference? I know that I really overweight so it takes awhile for people to notice. Would the first 15 lbs make me go shopping for new clothes? I am setting mini goals in 10-15 lb increments. So 6-11 more pounds before I reach my first goal.
I wasn't even trying to lose a ton of weight and I didn't really notice until I lost 15-20 pounds. But once I hit that mark, it started to become very evident, even though I only had another 15-20 to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss