Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Trick to drinking water 101:

Put an inch of your fave juice in it...add lime and
the miracle....drum roll....a STRAW!

(Never ice, btw) Reduce salt, big time.
And best wishes...
Why not ice??
I was just about to start drinking my water today -- with ice and cucumber and a straw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
You are a brave one, Mr. McBain. I'm still hoping and praying the "loose weight" will stop and that people will stop saying muscle weighs more than fat.

I think we all know what Roscoe meant, that the average person who is trying to lose weight usually has about 40 lbs. to lose, and they should not shoot for more than 2 lbs. a week, because that is simply not sustainable, or if they do it, it won't last long. And, yes, that water will not cause fat gain.
Yeah, muscle doesn't really weigh more than fat in the sense that a pound is a pound. The correct technical line would be that a pound of muscle takes up less volume than a pound of fat. I'm probably guilty of that error though, just out of simplicity.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:47 PM

605 posts, read 704,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Why not ice??
I was just about to start drinking my water today -- with ice and cucumber and a straw.
Just adding my 2 cents, but I believe that drinking cold water or too cold anything is not that great for the stomach. It makes my own stomach clench up at times, so I prefer to drink room-temperature water.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:45 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Awhile back, I went on a low carb diet consisting of organic veggies and fish with low fat dressing. That was all I ate for 3 days straight. I DID lose weight, but omg I felt horrible and cranky because I barely had any carbs. So I decided that I would eat carbs again.
It takes a few WEEKS to adjust to a low carb diet, not days.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:21 PM

586 posts, read 830,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It takes a few WEEKS to adjust to a low carb diet, not days.
SO I guess all the narrow downs to having self control and determination...which I need to work on because 3 days felt like a life time. Its this feeling of never feeling full and always mildly hungry.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
Quote:
SO I guess all the narrow downs to having self control and determination...which I need to work on because 3 days felt like a life time. Its this feeling of never feeling full and always mildly hungry.
Yes, it all boils down to self-control and determination, which is why so many Americans are huge.
Myself included. We don't have it. Not in our nature. Easier to say, omg, this Dove ice cream is the most incredible, creamy, ice cream I have ever had, and I must not put down this carton until it is empty! (I did that today.)

Old 06-25-2015, 05:21 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Your post was decent, except for the bolded parts. Those parts are wrong and very wrong, respectively.
You're wrong and wrong,respectively.
Water has zero calories.Unless you drink six pints immediately before stepping on the scales water will make absolutely no difference to a person's weight.
I drink between 4 and 6 pints of water every day - most of it goes in one end and out of the other at a fairly even rate.
And losing anything more than a couple of pounds of fat a week is a crash diet and crash diets never,ever work.Just ask any boxer.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:14 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
That's exactly what it is.

Also you don't need to exercise. Exercising just burns calories. If you eat 2000 calories now and then cut back 500 less calories a day, or if you eat 2000 calories and burn 500 exercising, it all equals out to 1500 per day.

You'll lose weight either way. Gradually. The issue I have is cutting back, it's practically impossible. So I exercise. I don't ever even count calories, or have a specific diet. I just now stay away from dessert mostly, that's at least 500 calories there!

Keep in mind burning 500 calories is a heck of a long time walking on the treadmill. I run 3 miles in <21 mins (8.7 mph roughly) and that only burns ~400.

One thing exercising does do is give you appreciation for how much effort is required to work off that piece of cake, allowing your self control to take over and say put it down...

I drink a lot of water too. I agree it might make you gain weight on paper, but no, it's not like you are gaining weight. You can't weigh yourself every day, you'll go crazy. Do it once a week, right when you wakeup after using the restroom, on say Sunday morning.

Last edited by wheelsup; 06-25-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 07:57 PM

586 posts, read 830,701 times
Back on the low carb diet and its really messing with my head. Makes me feel almost depressed because I am ALWAYS hungry every 2-3 hours.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You're wrong and wrong,respectively.
Water has zero calories.Unless you drink six pints immediately before stepping on the scales water will make absolutely no difference to a person's weight. I drink between 4 and 6 pints of water every day - most of it goes in one end and out of the other at a fairly even rate.
I think you need to go back to elementary science class. A calorie is a measure of energy, not weight. Weight is mass. Water has mass, even if it has no calories, therefor it does affect weight.

To argue otherwise is the height of absurdity.

Quote:
And losing anything more than a couple of pounds of fat a week is a crash diet
Source or support this claim with actual science.

Quote:
and crash diets never,ever work.
This one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss