Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM

586 posts, read 831,196 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on here and I am glad I found a forum dedicated to losing weight. Since this is a forum where I can seek motivation, I am going to be totally honest about myself. I am 25 years old, a mother to 2 little boys (Aged 2.5 and turning 1), and weight 230 lbs. That number is embarrassing for me since I used to be tiny (around 125 was the highest I used to weigh).

I have been going on a diet but havent had the time to incorporate any vigorous exercise routine yet. I do go to the gym, but not consistently. I have started a detox (3 days ago, I think) and started the garcinia cambogia diet pills. It had super high reviews and I know its worked wonders for many. I am also drinking Green Tea Hawaii, which is also supposed to help. Since I take all 3 together at the moment (detox is just 14 days), I need to drink a lot of water.

I have always been bad at drinking an adequate amount of water. Most days, I dont even drink over a glass. I know its bad, thats why I am trying to work on that now. I am up to drinking 6 glass a day (hoping to get to 8 glass soon). Each glass is about 10 oz of water, so I am drinking about 60 oz. The water makes me feel so sick. I feel full, which means I dont have room for food, but it also means my weight has increased. My weekly weigh in are on Thursdays and last thursday I weighed 231.4. Ideally, I want to LOSE something each week. Even 1 lb is acceptable so it can keep me motivated, but nope. I actually weigh 230 - 231 each morning. I am paranoid with gaining more weight on top of what I already weigh so I am weighing myself every morning to make sure I am on track, at least for now. My official weigh in is in two days (where I actually record the weight) and by the looks of it, I am probably up 1-2 lbs since last week, not -1 or -2 lbs like I am supposed to be. What is happening to me? I dont use salt in my food, I know I dont eat a high sodium diet, so why is this water making me gain weight? If I dont see a loss on Thursday, I dont know how I am going to go on and lose weight. Thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, I had labs drawn last Friday and results came back healthy, no diabetes, thyroid problems or anything like that. Completely healthy besides being overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 11:35 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,452 times
What are you 'detoxing' from..? Isn't that what your liver is for?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 AM

65 posts, read 82,104 times
Try eating natural foods 5-6 times a day mostly veggies and 1 boiled egg measuring your fats and eating only a small amount of real sweeteners again measured and count calories that is what works for me.
try drinking white tea mixed with a small amount of pineapple juice very diluted to get most of your water.
don't include fruit except 1 apple a day in your diet remember very little sugars of any kind.
plain water in between your tea blend at least 1/2 a cup. in between each meal.
Eat up to 1,500 cal a day.
let me know what happens.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on here and I am glad I found a forum dedicated to losing weight. Since this is a forum where I can seek motivation, I am going to be totally honest about myself. I am 25 years old, a mother to 2 little boys (Aged 2.5 and turning 1), and weight 230 lbs. That number is embarrassing for me since I used to be tiny (around 125 was the highest I used to weigh).

I have been going on a diet but havent had the time to incorporate any vigorous exercise routine yet. I do go to the gym, but not consistently. I have started a detox (3 days ago, I think) and started the garcinia cambogia diet pills. It had super high reviews and I know its worked wonders for many. I am also drinking Green Tea Hawaii, which is also supposed to help. Since I take all 3 together at the moment (detox is just 14 days), I need to drink a lot of water.

I have always been bad at drinking an adequate amount of water. Most days, I dont even drink over a glass. I know its bad, thats why I am trying to work on that now. I am up to drinking 6 glass a day (hoping to get to 8 glass soon). Each glass is about 10 oz of water, so I am drinking about 60 oz. The water makes me feel so sick. I feel full, which means I dont have room for food, but it also means my weight has increased. My weekly weigh in are on Thursdays and last thursday I weighed 231.4. Ideally, I want to LOSE something each week. Even 1 lb is acceptable so it can keep me motivated, but nope. I actually weigh 230 - 231 each morning. I am paranoid with gaining more weight on top of what I already weigh so I am weighing myself every morning to make sure I am on track, at least for now. My official weigh in is in two days (where I actually record the weight) and by the looks of it, I am probably up 1-2 lbs since last week, not -1 or -2 lbs like I am supposed to be. What is happening to me? I dont use salt in my food, I know I dont eat a high sodium diet, so why is this water making me gain weight? If I dont see a loss on Thursday, I dont know how I am going to go on and lose weight. Thanks in advance for any replies.

By the way, I had labs drawn last Friday and results came back healthy, no diabetes, thyroid problems or anything like that. Completely healthy besides being overweight.
A couple points.

- "Detox" diets are a shame. As the other poster mentioned, that's what your liver and kidneys do. There's really no need to bother with those things.

- Garcinia cambogia is also no good. We just had another thread on this topic recently, which you might want to check out. --- Is this stuff for real?

- If you find yourself having trouble drinking water, try using some of those zero calorie drink mixes like Crystal Light. There are tons of flavors out there and you should be able to find one you like.

- Weigh ins as a female can be tricky due to water retention and bloat around the monthly cycle. When you do your weigh in, always do it first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything and preferably after using the restroom. These two links talk more about weigh-ins as a female and their complexity.

Not Losing Fat at 20% Deficit, What Should I do? - Q&A | BodyRecomposition

Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat | BodyRecomposition

What is your diet like? What about your calorie intake?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:26 AM

Ehhh...I dont even know what I am doing anymore. I guess I am going with the hype (detox, GC) since I am so desperate to lose weight to keep up with my kids. I ended up buying them because they had thousands of good reviews on amazon, which is a legitimate website.

I'm Asian, and I love my rice. Doesnt mean I pig out on it, nope I know better. I watch my portions eating about 2 oz the entire day so I know it cant be the rice since I am eating so little of it. I eat fish (baked), shrimp, red meat on ocassion, frutis and veggies. I hate soda so dont have to worry about that part. When I do drink water, I usually drink it after a meal or during, its hard for me to drink water by itself.

Awhile back, I went on a low carb diet consisting of organic veggies and fish with low fat dressing. That was all I ate for 3 days straight. I DID lose weight, but omg I felt horrible and cranky because I barely had any carbs. So I decided that I would eat carbs again. What I found was that when I went on the low carb diet, I was craving carbs. On the 4th day, I couldnt take it anymore and ended up binging on carbs (rice lol). I decided that since I cant live w/o carbs, I will eat it so I dont ever have to crave it again since eating low carbs ended up backfiring. I did watch my portion and ate very little, and mainly ate proteins consisting of lean meat instead (chicken breast, fish). Started losing agian, but as soon as I upped my water intake I started to gain weight again. Like seriously? How can water do this to me? Scientifically, water has 0 calories so supposedly the weight should be temporary, but my belly looks like a whale and I have been holding onto this "water weight" for almost a week now. Its not as simple as peeing it out throughout the day and being lighter in the morning ( I weigh myself first thing in the morning). If I drink water, I gain 3-4 lbs. Next morning I weigh myself, I lose 2 lbs, so I am always up 1 lb from the day before. As a result, this is the reason why I have gained 10 lbs in 6 months.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:30 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Ehhh...I dont even know what I am doing anymore. I guess I am going with the hype (detox, GC) since I am so desperate to lose weight to keep up with my kids. I ended up buying them because they had thousands of good reviews on amazon, which is a legitimate website.

I'm Asian, and I love my rice. Doesnt mean I pig out on it, nope I know better. I watch my portions eating about 2 oz the entire day so I know it cant be the rice since I am eating so little of it. I eat fish (baked), shrimp, red meat on ocassion, frutis and veggies. I hate soda so dont have to worry about that part. When I do drink water, I usually drink it after a meal or during, its hard for me to drink water by itself.

Awhile back, I went on a low carb diet consisting of organic veggies and fish with low fat dressing. That was all I ate for 3 days straight. I DID lose weight, but omg I felt horrible and cranky because I barely had any carbs. So I decided that I would eat carbs again. What I found was that when I went on the low carb diet, I was craving carbs. On the 4th day, I couldnt take it anymore and ended up binging on carbs (rice lol). I decided that since I cant live w/o carbs, I will eat it so I dont ever have to crave it again since eating low carbs ended up backfiring. I did watch my portion and ate very little, and mainly ate proteins consisting of lean meat instead (chicken breast, fish). Started losing agian, but as soon as I upped my water intake I started to gain weight again. Like seriously? How can water do this to me? Scientifically, water has 0 calories so supposedly the weight should be temporary, but my belly looks like a whale and I have been holding onto this "water weight" for almost a week now. Its not as simple as peeing it out throughout the day and being lighter in the morning ( I weigh myself first thing in the morning). If I drink water, I gain 3-4 lbs. Next morning I weigh myself, I lose 2 lbs, so I am always up 1 lb from the day before. As a result, this is the reason why I have gained 10 lbs in 6 months.
If you were losing weight on low carb and happy with that progress, you might do well on a cyclic keto diet, which can basically be boiled down to 4-6 days on the diet and then 1 or 2 days where you can pretty much eat the way you want within reason. That way you could get the benefit of the low carb diet and still satisfy some cravings and thus hopefully keep yourself from straying from the diet.

I'm going to sound like a borderline shill here, but I really like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss/Flexible Dieting bundle. I have both books and they're very well done and I've done the Rapid Fat Loss diet twice now with excellent results. It's admittedly an extreme diet but has built in free meals to help the psychological aspect. The Guide to Flexible Dieting isn't even so much a diet as more of an overall philosophy. You can't really go wrong there.

Rapid Fat Loss Handbook Complete Package | BodyRecomposition

In the meantime, do you have a food scale and plenty of measuring cups? I know it's a pain in the butt, but it might do you good to really track your food intake hard and see where you stand there. If we know you're not underestimating your calorie intake (a common problem) then we can go from there.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:45 AM

526 posts, read 900,793 times
If you're going to really try low carb, you have to keep it up for a couple of weeks. That's how long it can take your body to adapt and get over that miserable flu-like feeling. Once you get past that your cravings will generally go away too. That's the method I've had the most luck with.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
You're not giving us much information to go by. You're eating fish meat and chicken - how are you making it? No sauce? Soy sauce? Ginger sauce? Hollandaise sauce? How about the veggies? How are THEY prepared? And by veggies do you mean field greens, broccoli, string beans, mushrooms, etc. etc or do you mean french fries, pickled carrots, creamed corn? And, how are those veggies prepared? With lots of oil, only a little oil, steamed, raw? If raw, what's in the dip you're dipping it in, if any?

You don't need to answer this for us, you need to answer it for you. And when you say around 2 ounces of rice - is that 2 ounces dry or wet? It makes a difference. Two ounces wet is only around 3 teaspoons of rice. Are you really only eating 3 teaspoons of rice every day? And what are you putting on it? Tamari, garlic oil, ginger sauce, etc. etc.

How about exercise? What kinds of exercises are you doing? If it's cardio, note that this doesn't mean "the things any mom has to do every day when they have small children." Yes, your body is getting exercise when you do those daily things, but you are not "exercising" as a conscious decision independent of normal mundane daily life.

Do you take at least 1/2 hour out of your day to do some kind of planned exercise routine/non-routine? If so, what is the routine?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're not giving us much information to go by. You're eating fish meat and chicken - how are you making it? No sauce? Soy sauce? Ginger sauce? Hollandaise sauce? How about the veggies? How are THEY prepared? And by veggies do you mean field greens, broccoli, string beans, mushrooms, etc. etc or do you mean french fries, pickled carrots, creamed corn? And, how are those veggies prepared? With lots of oil, only a little oil, steamed, raw? If raw, what's in the dip you're dipping it in, if any?

You don't need to answer this for us, you need to answer it for you. And when you say around 2 ounces of rice - is that 2 ounces dry or wet? It makes a difference. Two ounces wet is only around 3 teaspoons of rice. Are you really only eating 3 teaspoons of rice every day? And what are you putting on it? Tamari, garlic oil, ginger sauce, etc. etc.

How about exercise? What kinds of exercises are you doing? If it's cardio, note that this doesn't mean "the things any mom has to do every day when they have small children." Yes, your body is getting exercise when you do those daily things, but you are not "exercising" as a conscious decision independent of normal mundane daily life.

Do you take at least 1/2 hour out of your day to do some kind of planned exercise routine/non-routine? If so, what is the routine?
I eat raw/steamed veggies. I dont stir fry anything. Veggies meaning salads, carrots, baby tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers etc. As far as fish adn chicken, I just simply grill it without any seasonings. I eat 2 oz of rice cooked (we have a rice cooker). Its just plain white rice that goes in the rice cooker with no added flavors or anything like that.

I dont consider taking care of my kids as "cardio". By cardio, I mean going to the gym for 40 minutes or more and actually going on the ellipitcal or treadmill.

I try to go to the gym everyday, but sometimes it doesnt always work out because I run out of time. My husband works in the afternoons, and I work in the mornings. I get off at aroudn 11 am, so I only have from 11 am - 2 pm window to go to the gym but on days that I need to grocery shop or run errands I end up not going.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
If you were losing weight on low carb and happy with that progress, you might do well on a cyclic keto diet, which can basically be boiled down to 4-6 days on the diet and then 1 or 2 days where you can pretty much eat the way you want within reason. That way you could get the benefit of the low carb diet and still satisfy some cravings and thus hopefully keep yourself from straying from the diet.

I'm going to sound like a borderline shill here, but I really like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss/Flexible Dieting bundle. I have both books and they're very well done and I've done the Rapid Fat Loss diet twice now with excellent results. It's admittedly an extreme diet but has built in free meals to help the psychological aspect. The Guide to Flexible Dieting isn't even so much a diet as more of an overall philosophy. You can't really go wrong there.

Rapid Fat Loss Handbook Complete Package | BodyRecomposition

In the meantime, do you have a food scale and plenty of measuring cups? I know it's a pain in the butt, but it might do you good to really track your food intake hard and see where you stand there. If we know you're not underestimating your calorie intake (a common problem) then we can go from there.
Thanks! I have been looking for a good read on weight loss. Will check those out!

As for today, I am further discouraged by what I am seeing on the scale. Trust me, I havent been eating bad! Even if I were, how the in the world could I pack on 2+ lbs in less than a week? I eat home cooked meals, and even without a food scale, I know I am eating less than 2000 calories, not even near that because I am watching what I eat closely like a hawk. I swear the water is making me gain so much weight. Its like I am drinking water but it doesnt expel from my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss