Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:40 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I was thinking the same thing about paying attention to calories as well..

This is the third day that I have had a 250 calorie protein shake in the middle of the day and
a nice full meal in the evening..So far I am loving it..

Last night I joined friends to dine out and we all shared entrees at an Indian restaurant and it was
so nice to enjoy some of everything and some wine ...I would estimate that I ate about 800 calories..

I like not thinking about my meals during the day,then in the evening I am ready to fix something nice
or dine out..Tonight I am eating at a friends and having blackberry cobbler made from her backyard
blackberries !!

For those saying the plan is not healthy, I need to know why...
If you like this, it's working for you, you are feeling better and achieving your goals, keep doing it. You don't need self-proclaimed "experts" on an anonymous forum to tell you that it's good or bad. If you're concerned about health, I think that should be a question for your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 03:03 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
One healthy meal a day is far superior to 3 junk meals.
Just be sure you pack as many nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fibers) as you can into 1 snack and 1 meal, and you'll be fine. Use an app or program like My Fitness Pal to track the nutrients.

And unless you're body building or still growing, trade that protein shake for a green smoothie.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing about paying attention to calories as well..

This is the third day that I have had a 250 calorie protein shake in the middle of the day and
a nice full meal in the evening..So far I am loving it..

Last night I joined friends to dine out and we all shared entrees at an Indian restaurant and it was
so nice to enjoy some of everything and some wine ...I would estimate that I ate about 800 calories..

I like not thinking about my meals during the day,then in the evening I am ready to fix something nice
or dine out..Tonight I am eating at a friends and having blackberry cobbler made from her backyard
blackberries !!

For those saying the plan is not healthy, I need to know why...
The main thing you're going to hear is that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that you should be eating frequent small meals to keep your blood sugar even but I don't know that there's a lot of proof that keeping your blood sugar even is a good thing. For one thing, if you are not hungry, do not eat! That goes for breakfast too--I love breakfast, but on a work day I practically have to force myself to eat. Not good.

For those with low blood sugar or hypoglycemia, frequent small meals is the rx, but I suspect you can retrain your system--I have no experience with that however so will say no more about that. Another reason to not do what you're talking about is if you have adrenal fatigue and are under a great deal of stress and then IF (intermittent fasting) can stress you out further. Otherwise, if you feel good then I say carry on--you have to find what works for you and it sounds like you have. I'm betting that you'll lose at least 10 lbs and then if you get stuck, you can just make further adjustments.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

I'm betting that you'll lose at least 10 lbs and then if you get stuck, you can just make further adjustments.
I sure hope you are right !!!
I will be thrilled if this way of eating works..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
I sure hope you are right !!!
I will be thrilled if this way of eating works..
It will unless you go hogwild on that one meal lol. Think of it this way--I'm in perimenopause and I lost weight on it. IOW, I am the most difficult demographic for someone to lose weight, and I still did.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:51 AM

95 posts, read 81,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
My husband only ate one meal a day (dinner) for many years. Once he hit 50, he started having trouble with blood sugar. Our doctor told him the rise in blood sugar was because he only ate once a day, even though what he was eating was healthy vegetables, grains and meats. She said eating more frequently was better at reducing the blood sugar peaks and valleys that can lead to insulin resistance.

I don't have feelings on it one way or the other. I'm very much, if it works for you, go for it. Just relating one person's experience.

First of all, healthy meats? You gotta be kidding (fish perhaps).

Second, if you trust what a doctor tells you, you won't live very long. They are the third reason people die in this country. Think also of this, most doctors die like most people do, that is, below one's life expectancy. Very few go beyond. If you find an article that states the otherwise, don't hesitate to post it.

Third, there is a compromise of course; one can eat some meat to have the necessary protein to sustain normal body function. Too much of that in your diet and you inevitably are gaining weight. One must find the perfect balance which complements one's metabolism.

Speaking of balance, that's what it's all about and that's why it's easier to achieve it on a meal a day. An unbalanced nutrition is what renders any dietary plan useless. It's also the main reason why you see so many grotesquely obese people in America.

Just think about the amount of food some people eat at a meal time. Then add the fact that their food mix or selection is completely unbalanced. Add the fact that is usually fast or processed. Then compound it to their eating frequency (some eating almost all day long or every hour). Finally, consider the importance of having a fast metabolism which slows down as you age.

Fourth, an starvation diet may be the magic bullet to stop most cancers dead in its tracks. That's far from being "one meal a day", of course. But, since cancer needs fatty cells and tissues to thrive in the body or to multiply, a cancer stricken person eating barely any food (just enough to survive) should stop it from growing until the body can get rid of it completely, and a new diet is set in place to recover.

That being said, I am aware that I maybe attacked by the doctors (or their sympathizers) on this board because of these remarks, so I remind you all that there are very specific rules about personal attacks set in place on the CD forums. It's my opinion which I am entitled to.

Last edited by mariogames; 07-11-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogames View Post
That being said, I am aware that I maybe attacked by the doctors (or their sympathizers) on this board because of these remarks, so I remind you all that there are very specific rules about personal attacks set in place on the CD forums. It's my opinion which I am entitled to.
Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, Mario. Happy gaming!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:40 AM

95 posts, read 81,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, Mario. Happy gaming!
Actually, my username is the short/composite of my real name (Mario, G, Ames) where the G, is the first letter of my surname...FWIW.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
Quote:
Has anyone has success losing weight this way ???

I have been reading about it and have decided to try it...I plan to have a protein shake or few eggs during the day and then a nice meal of my choosing at night...

Reasons I think it may fit me ..

I don't mind being on the hungry side during the day but dislike that at night..
I love variety and diets that eliminate favorite foods usually fail for me
I tend to eat healthy foods but want to be able to eat what I am craving.
I like to try new recipes and not count calories
I like to travel and experience the food where I am visiting.
I like socializing over a nice meal at home or eating out..
I am dating and this plan would fit that perfectly..
I can easily not eat all day (except maybe 200 calories) if I know I can enjoy a full meal later
I don't often eat sweets so that helps with calories at my one meal.
I limit my gluten, so that makes my one meal healthier also..
I have tried calorie counting, low carb, south beach & other diets that all make eating out hard..

I would love to hear from anyone that has tried this...
I am pretty sure I can stick to this plan but not sure I will lose weight on it...

ps. I need to lose about 20 lbs
I can easily go till 1pm without eating but after that I get shaky and kinda nasty...but from a weight loss standpoint if that's what works for you and you are basically a healthy young person I say give it a try...it's not like you need to lose 50+lbs and this would be for a long period of time...but you still have to stay in a calorie intake that supports weight loss for you...my intake is 1200 calories but I am 53 have low thyroid... everyone has a different metabolism...remember every diet you listed above worked for some people...it's really the diet that works for you is the diet that is sustainable...

Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Update about how this is going..

I have been eating either eggs or a protein shake during the day and a full dinner meal.
Yesterday I had a larger lunch and did a protein shake last night..
I have been adding a Tablespoon of Benefiber to my coffee and that plus my
midday protein has kept me from being too hungry..

Today I have had the coffee with fiber and one egg and I am not hungry even though it is
7 pm.. Surprised by that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss