Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 04:24 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. We're just past 3 months.. Weigh in last night was 219.9lbs. That's 32.1lbs down. Either 20.0 pounds to go or 39lbs, pending on which goal.. My goal is 199.9lbs, while 180.9lbs is the official not-obese weight.

I did pretty much take about 10 days off around Thanksgiving. Between a hot water heater blowing up and family commitments around that time.. I couldn't get to the gym and did eat whatever I had sitting around.

I am down a pants size.. Had to replace my gym clothes because as I'd run on the treadmill, my pants were trying to fall off. 38 waist jeans fit nicely now.. The only 40's I still have.. Have to have a belt that now goes two notches further on it.
Congrats on your hard work, keep it up. Here's to "overweight" category!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 11:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. We're just past 3 months.. Weigh in last night was 219.9lbs. That's 32.1lbs down. Either 20.0 pounds to go or 39lbs, pending on which goal.. My goal is 199.9lbs, while 180.9lbs is the official not-obese weight.

I did pretty much take about 10 days off around Thanksgiving. Between a hot water heater blowing up and family commitments around that time.. I couldn't get to the gym and did eat whatever I had sitting around.

I am down a pants size.. Had to replace my gym clothes because as I'd run on the treadmill, my pants were trying to fall off. 38 waist jeans fit nicely now.. The only 40's I still have.. Have to have a belt that now goes two notches further on it.
Impressed with your will power & hard work !!!!

Old 10-28-2016, 08:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
I've eaten that way pretty much my whole adult life other than when I was pregnant.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 AM

67 posts, read 41,271 times
Eating one meal per day vs. eating 2-3 meals per day vs. Eat Stop Eat

One of the biggest comparisons people make with eating one meal per day (warrior diet) is with eating 2-3 meals per day (Leangains style) and another popular form of intermittent fasting, Eat Stop Eat.

Eat one meal per day vs. eating 2-3 meals per day

Eating one meal per day vs eating 2-3 meals per day does of course come down to personal preference. Some people like the 2 meal per day approach, following Martin Berkhan’s Leangains approach but if you eat 50% of your calories in the afternoon you might be setting yourself up for a that energy slump I mentioned earlier.

Eating one meal per day vs. Eat Stop Eat

Eating once per day and Eat Stop Eat are not the same thing. Many people confuse the two since they both involve 24 hour fasts.

Do not confuse the two.

Here’s the difference:

Eating once per day – Fast for 24 hours, under eat during the day, and get your entire daily caolrie intake in one meal, every day.

Eat Stop Eat – Completely fast for 24 hours 1-2 times per week (no calories at all), eat a “normal sized” meal at the end of the 24 hour fast.

ESE forces you to create a massive calorie deficit on your fasting days while the one meal per day approach simply changes up your meal frequency but you still get the same amount of calories every day.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alices00ze View Post
ESE forces you to create a massive calorie deficit on your fasting days while the one meal per day approach simply changes up your meal frequency but you still get the same amount of calories every day.

Only true if your one meal has the same # of calories as you ate before..
One meal could certainly be a strategy to reduce calories consumed per day...

Old 11-04-2016, 10:01 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,774 times
I could not eat like that, that is for sure. I work out before dinner and I would have no energy to work out if I hardly ate anything all day.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:09 AM

Original Poster Update...

I am losing very slowly this way..About 3 lbs this month..
That rate is fine with me ..
Planning to increase my exercise which may help also..

I eat a few snacks during the day such as an egg, celery & peanut butter,
apple with peanut butter, yogurt, few nuts. Probably 300 calories worth..

Then for one main meal I eat a full meal..Usually this is at dinner but occasionally I will
eat lunch out and have my larger meal then..
I pay attention to calories but don't really count my calories for this meal.
That means that I lean towards lower calorie foods.
I tend to want healthy food anyway and if I want to
make an exception I allow it because it isn't often I want to do that..

I hope this continues to work because it doesn't make me feel like I am missing out on all the
social dining out I enjoy and it feels like something I could continue forever...

Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 PM

667 posts, read 1,848,315 times
I fast for one day a couple, several times a month as needed to control anxiety. I've been doing this since college when it was first suggested by friends. (I don't have a weight problem.)

Knock on wood, I have no health problems, except I don't know what comes tomorrow, but fasting does not seem to have hurt me.

I don't have trouble with energy, and I never mentioned to a doctor that I do this.

I read that Steven Jobs was addicted to fasting for its mood-altering effects and friends couldn't get him to stop even when he got sick. I think I could believe that.

I eat a very nutritious diet, for the most part, and have been interested in diet, health and exercise since high school. So I don't fast to make up for binge eating, for example .

Bottom line, I've fasted somewhat regularly for most of my life, and while I don't do it for health reasons, it does not seem to have hurt my health, on the contrary, I feel fortunate to (so far knock on wood) have no health problems.

Last edited by Karen59; 11-05-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 03:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Has anyone has success losing weight this way ???

I have been reading about it and have decided to try it...I plan to have a protein shake or few eggs during the day and then a nice meal of my choosing at night...

Reasons I think it may fit me ..

I don't mind being on the hungry side during the day but dislike that at night..
I love variety and diets that eliminate favorite foods usually fail for me
I tend to eat healthy foods but want to be able to eat what I am craving.
I like to try new recipes and not count calories
I like to travel and experience the food where I am visiting.
I like socializing over a nice meal at home or eating out..
I am dating and this plan would fit that perfectly..
I can easily not eat all day (except maybe 200 calories) if I know I can enjoy a full meal later
I don't often eat sweets so that helps with calories at my one meal.
I limit my gluten, so that makes my one meal healthier also..
I have tried calorie counting, low carb, south beach & other diets that all make eating out hard..

I would love to hear from anyone that has tried this...
I am pretty sure I can stick to this plan but not sure I will lose weight on it...

ps. I need to lose about 20 lbs
Old post, I know. Just wanted to respond by writing that this is how the typical French man/woman eats, and Europe in general. Historically, the French ate a light breakfast (a croissant and espresso or something similar. Ever wonder why the breakfast spread at the Holiday Inn is called a "Continental Breakfast"? It's a reference to continental Europe) or no breakfast at all, then a huge lunch followed by a small dinner later in the evening. Most don't snack at all, which is a big difference. If they have coffee during the day, it's typically black. Lattes and the like are also for breakfast. An American may claim to only eat three meals per day, but Americans typically also snack throughout the day with Frappecinnos welcomed at any time. Take England for example: afternoon tea was such a big deal (and still is for those who are "proper") because it is the only time of day when one is "allowed" to eat biscuits/cookies/etc.

Speaking of Continental breakfast. If you ever find yourself in France, order an orange juice at breakfast. You will basically receive a tiny glass that contains the juice from a little more than one orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
My personal experience is that amount of meals and time of intake doesn't matter at all. (For example: some say you shouldn't eat late because <insert some theory about nocturnal metabolism rate>... like you however I like to sleep on a full stomach so I tend to eat late or even in the middle of the night, and to some it might be a surprise that I'm not fat.)
I am an avid hiker/backpacker. Hypothermia is a real concern to use who sleep out of doors, and one thing we do is to eat our dinner right before bedtime to increase metabolism which also increases body heat considering metabolism is a thermodynamic process.

As to non-hikers, the idea to not eat late at night has been busted. It's not when you eat, it's how much (calories) you consume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogames View Post
The body can survive with one meal day without a problem. Eating a nutritious meal, that is. The notion that one has to eat 3 to 4 meals a day is more the result of cultural upbringing than physiological...
Definitely, but keep in mind you'd still need to meet your daily caloric and nutritional needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss