Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:16 PM

586 posts, read 830,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I AM older, lol. But I'm doing it anyway. I had a weird health issue that came up two years ago, a rare thyroid disease wherein my thyroid turned into a hard, cement like substance and surrounded all the tissues in my throat, particularly my trachea. I could not speak without gasping for air. Now that it is under control and I feel well, I want to lose weight as part of my overall effort to be as healthy as I can be. For some reason, looking at it from that angle is working for me.
I honestly appreciate the older women (and men) who are motivated to lose weight and are successful with it and not letting the age thing hinder them in any way. I am 26 and freaking out that I wont be able to lose all this weight in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I honestly appreciate the older women (and men) who are motivated to lose weight and are successful with it and not letting the age thing hinder them in any way. I am 26 and freaking out that I wont be able to lose all this weight in time.
In time for what?

Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 PM

before my metabolism slows down even more and it becomes harder to lose weight. Doesnt it slow down as you get older?

I also dont want to be like this for my childrens entire childhood. I want to be able to comfortably play with them.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
before my metabolism slows down even more and it becomes harder to lose weight. Doesnt it slow down as you get older?

I also dont want to be like this for my childrens entire childhood. I want to be able to comfortably play with them.
If you commit yourself to a proper diet and exercise you can get to where you want to be in a year or two. You will still be quite young.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:52 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times
My metabolism didn't screech to a halt till I started peri-menopause at age 46. Things are finally settling down now with my hormones...at age 53. NOW..the weight is starting to come off.
Last winter, I wasn't seriously trying to lose weight, but I WAS experimenting with different eating habits. I had started eating my larger meal at breakfast....2 eggs and a bowl of cereal. Around February, my pants started falling down. These were the black stretchy exercise pants with the spandex.
Anyway, I ignored it...but they kept falling down.

I finally decided to go weigh myself. I had lost 27 pounds!!

It was then that i decided to get serious about losing weight again.

Since then, I am up to a 55 pound weight loss. I went from 237 down to 182. I still have about 40 pounds more to go...but I feel so much better!

BTW; I am not following ANY diets. No paleo, no low carb, no WW. Just using myfitnesspal for keeping track of those pesky important details. If I have a craving...I'll eat a serving and enjoy it. Then...I'll log it.
If my calories go over....oh well. I don't feel the need to be losing weight every single day. Right now, I am plateaued. It'll kick back into gear again.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I've lost a significant amount of weight in my 20's, gained it back plus some, then lost a lot of weight again in my 30's. It was equally easy both times to lose the weight, as long as I stuck with it. In my 30's I have had more trouble with side effects of losing weight...anxiety and hair loss have been my main issues. I didn't have any problems like that when I lost weight in my 20's.

You're not on a deadline to lose the weight, you're not going to reach an age where you absolutely cannot lose a pound.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:19 AM

[quote=
You're not on a deadline to lose the weight, you're not going to reach an age where you absolutely cannot lose a pound.[/QUOTE]

I know anyone can lose weight. I know someone who is almost 10 years older than me and used to be heavier than me who lost close to 100 lbs. It is doable. I just honestly dont want this journey to take 10 years for me to finally be myself again. I honestly feel like a skinny person trapped in a big body. I have always been stick thin, up til high school. My family and I travel a lot and sometimes I feel like I am the one taking all the fun away. My husband loves outdoors and we make sure to stop by national parks wherever we go, and although I want to do more, I physically cant. Its also sad when my 3 year old wants to play with me and I get tired after 5 minutes. Thats the only reason I want to lose this weight within the next 1 or 2 years so I can get my energy back. I also dont like waking up every morning and feeling blessed that I didnt have a heart attack or stroke. I am not even 26, strokes and heart attacks should be one of the last things on my mind...

Old 10-20-2015, 10:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
I know anyone can lose weight. I know someone who is almost 10 years older than me and used to be heavier than me who lost close to 100 lbs. It is doable. I just honestly dont want this journey to take 10 years for me to finally be myself again. I honestly feel like a skinny person trapped in a big body. I have always been stick thin, up til high school. My family and I travel a lot and sometimes I feel like I am the one taking all the fun away. My husband loves outdoors and we make sure to stop by national parks wherever we go, and although I want to do more, I physically cant. Its also sad when my 3 year old wants to play with me and I get tired after 5 minutes. Thats the only reason I want to lose this weight within the next 1 or 2 years so I can get my energy back. I also dont like waking up every morning and feeling blessed that I didnt have a heart attack or stroke. I am not even 26, strokes and heart attacks should be one of the last things on my mind...
There are risk calculators for stroke and heart attack. 10-year CVD Risk Calculator (Risk Assessment Tool for Estimating Your 10-year Risk of Having a Heart Attack Version) Stroke Risk Calculator: UCLA Stroke Center I'm a decade older than you and I'm heavier than you, even after I've lost 150 lbs, but my stroke risk is 2.4% and heart attack risk is less than 1%. Maybe you should try the calculators and that might at least ease your worries about those two things.

As far as being able to walk around parks or play with your kids, that has more to do with your fitness level than your weight. I can walk for hours or ride my bike 20 miles and not be tired or out of breath, because I exercise often. For a while I had trouble walking and I thought it was because of my weight, but when I was diagnosed with diabetes I asked if my foot pain could be from that and my doctor prescribed something for neuropathy, and then I could walk again, before I had really lost any weight.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:57 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:

Yes, that was part of the problem. I was always thin, even unhealthily underweight at times. I ate crap, including cake, cookies, and candy all the time. Then in my 30s I got pregnant, gained 40 pounds and gave birth to a 6-pound baby. I gained even more after that. I had no idea how to lose weight.

Anyway, the baby is 24 and that excuse isn't working anymore lol.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:50 PM

I went and saw my doctor 4 months ago. I remember being weighed in at 231. I was at my wits end and had no idea how to lose the weight. I was hopeless and wanted the easy way out and asked if there were any pills I could take to help me lose weight, basically I was looking for a jump start to get me motivated. Of course there's no easy way out. He said key was diet and exercise and I had to start somewhere even if it was a 20 minute walk every day. I told him that I get really tired after walking for 5 minutes and my "jogging" is equivalent to my sister's (who is very athletic) fast walking. He didnt mention anything about fitness level, and that I could build my endurance. I remember exactly what he said "that's because you are heavier and your legs are bigger than that of a normal person."

To be honest, I dont really like my current doctor. I feel like he is lacking the knowledge. I always thought he was an MD turns out he's a PA...still, I wonder how he graduated. He is very quick to prescribe meds, not even giving his patients a chance to change their lifestyle. Regarding the metformin thing, I took it because he prescribed it and got VERY dizzy and sweaty from it. I could barely walk, I checked my blood sugar and it was in the 50's. He said in the first place that my A1c is not too bad, and if I tried, I could even reverse it. I havent been taking any meds since, and my bs after 2 hours is always less than 120, typically 108 or below. I dont even bother checking that often anymore because I knwo I have been eating well. I just didnt know why he had to prescribe those meds in the first place and look what happened? It didnt even last and I had to be taken off them anyways and I have been doing well just based on dieting alone. Sorry, just a vent. I have an appointment with him next thursday and really considering changing doctors, but he's the closest to where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss