Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times

Advertisements

A lot of doctors don't do a great job of discussing weight and/or weight loss with patients. I've switched doctors before when they wouldn't discuss it at all...I'd ask how I could lose weight and they'd just change the subject. The doctor I see now is across town but she's willing to discuss my weight and will even bring it up if she notices that I've been gaining.

Besides walking, what other cardio do you do? I remember you said you belong to a gym. If walking or jogging doesn't do it for you, try the elliptical or an exercise bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:31 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I've always heard that a size is 10#. I think OP should be down a size, but I guess if someone starts at 300# it might not be as noticeable as someone who starts out at 150. I mean, the % of loss probably matters.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've always heard that a size is 10#. I think OP should be down a size, but I guess if someone starts at 300# it might not be as noticeable as someone who starts out at 150. I mean, the % of loss probably matters.
For me, a size is about 25 lbs now. Maybe when I get below 200 a size will be 10#, I know my daughter goes up a size in jeans when she gains 10 pounds.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:26 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Keep it up, you are doing great! Several years ago I was over 50 lbs overweight. It took me a very long time, I lost very slowly (a few years), but I did it and it stays off! I eliminated most bad foods and sugars, watch my portions, eat enough protein, drink enough water AND I work out and exercise in some way EVERY DAY! I recently showed two pics side-by-side to my husband, one on my birthday 4 years ago and one from a couple weeks ago and the difference is staggering! He kept staring and says "GAWD!!!" LOL I literally look 10 years younger today and almost like a different person. And yes, you DO get addicted to losing and keeping it off, so you lose your appetite for the junk (for the most part).

I am happy with my weight now and just want to keep things where they are.
Gypsychic, are you the one who posted in another thread about liking wine? If so, did you drink wine while losing? Congratulations by the way!

Old 10-21-2015, 08:14 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Gypsychic, are you the one who posted in another thread about liking wine? If so, did you drink wine while losing? Congratulations by the way!
FYI, if someone is on a low carb diet, alcohol has no carbs. However, your body will burn it before it burns fat, so you will slow yourself down, but you can technically have it. Beer is not included.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 AM

586 posts, read 830,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
A lot of doctors don't do a great job of discussing weight and/or weight loss with patients. I've switched doctors before when they wouldn't discuss it at all...I'd ask how I could lose weight and they'd just change the subject. The doctor I see now is across town but she's willing to discuss my weight and will even bring it up if she notices that I've been gaining.

Besides walking, what other cardio do you do? I remember you said you belong to a gym. If walking or jogging doesn't do it for you, try the elliptical or an exercise bike.
Mine is not very helpful, the most he did for me was check my labs specifically the thyroid which came back normal. Only encouragement I had from him is that I can probably reverse the insulin resistance if I lose weight.

Yes, I walk and go to the gym. I have also started an exercise routine at home and it is awesome. I always thought that I had to get to the gym to get everything done, but not really. In fact, I am currently sore at the moment in my arms and thighs, which I didnt really experience at the gym. I also love how my kids are like my motivators. My 3 year old is right next to me trying to mimic what I am doing. He counts with me, and when we get to 10 he says "good job! Yay!" and claps his hands. His 15 month old brother would drop everything that he's doing to come look at mommy being a clown lol. I must look hilarious, but who cares.

When I am at the gym, I usually do 40 minutes of elliptical, 20 minutes of treadmill, and 20 minutes of strength training.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Mine is not very helpful, the most he did for me was check my labs specifically the thyroid which came back normal. Only encouragement I had from him is that I can probably reverse the insulin resistance if I lose weight.

Yes, I walk and go to the gym. I have also started an exercise routine at home and it is awesome. I always thought that I had to get to the gym to get everything done, but not really. In fact, I am currently sore at the moment in my arms and thighs, which I didnt really experience at the gym. I also love how my kids are like my motivators. My 3 year old is right next to me trying to mimic what I am doing. He counts with me, and when we get to 10 he says "good job! Yay!" and claps his hands. His 15 month old brother would drop everything that he's doing to come look at mommy being a clown lol. I must look hilarious, but who cares.

When I am at the gym, I usually do 40 minutes of elliptical, 20 minutes of treadmill, and 20 minutes of strength training.
If you can do that much at the gym, then you should be able to keep up with your kids on the playground or go to parks when you travel...maybe you're not wearing the right kind of shoes when you're not at the gym, or maybe you expect that you're going to get tired easily because of your weight, and so you get tired.

I exercise at home too...I have a weight machine, elliptical and exercise bike (no treadmill, can't stand the things) and a punching bag. My kids and I do kettlebell exercises together...they're at the age where they complain rather than encourage, but I just ignore it.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
My family and I travel a lot and sometimes I feel like I am the one taking all the fun away. My husband loves outdoors and we make sure to stop by national parks wherever we go, and although I want to do more, I physically cant. Its also sad when my 3 year old wants to play with me and I get tired after 5 minutes.
You can work on your fitness level no matter what you weigh. If you lose a whole bunch of weight and don't exercise you will still get tired after 5 minutes of activity. You will not get fit unless you work on your fitness. You can do that at any weight.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:56 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not for me. It's 20-25 pounds. I am much taller than average, though, which is probably the difference.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 PM

586 posts, read 830,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not for me. It's 20-25 pounds. I am much taller than average, though, which is probably the difference.
I dont really care about sizing anymore. As long as I am doing what I'm doing, it will show eventually. I purchased one of those body fat analyzer that they use at the gym to monitor my fat loss as well, along with a hula hoop. Doing all that I can here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss