Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:00 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Take out the noodles and any other wheat derived grains period. You are on the right track, go for more of a modified paleo approach with additional lean protein sources and fruits and vegetables. Snacks like almonds are right on the mark, high protein, no/low carbohydrate.
What a bunch of cow poop. There's nothing wrong with wheat unless you have celiac disease or a wheat or gluten allergy. If wheat were so poisonous to humans, why would it have become such an essential part of human diet and culture over the past 10000 years or so? OTOH, nuts like almonds are about 80% fat, not "high protein". Fat has 9 calories/gram versus 4 calories/gram for protein or carbohydrate; if the OP wants to continue to lose weight, she needs to find ways to reduce her calorie consumption, which would argue for cutting out high-fat foods from her diet in preference to protein or carbohydrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:55 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Take out the noodles and any other wheat derived grains period. You are on the right track, go for more of a modified paleo approach with additional lean protein sources and fruits and vegetables. Snacks like almonds are right on the mark, high protein, no/low carbohydrate.
I don't eat any noodles or wheat.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Talk to your doctor. I had to beg mine to help me with my diet. Apparently doctors only do that when you are obese. (minor rant here) In my opinion, they should help you to maintain a healthy weight, not to wait until you are way overweight. Anyway he said it was OK to take a break, where you eat more calories.
According to the height/weight charts I am obses (5'3", 183 lb). I would have to get down to around 170 to be considered overweight and about 140 to be considered a normal weight.

My trainer says I need to eat more calories. He thinks that what I eat (low carb) is ok but that I am not eating often enough, or enough calories. I am hesitant to add calories because I am afraid to more calories will make me gain weight.

Quote:
So lose some weight for a while, then eat a bunch and don't feel guilty about it. The body may get used to a lower amount of calories and your metabolism slows down. That makes it hard to continue to lose weight. So maybe a cheat day or cheat week. But see your doctor first to make sure you don't have any serious issues. Many people have the same problem as you...kind of plateau'ing with the weight loss.
I don't think I have serious issues because I feel fine. If I was sick wouldn't I feel bad?

Quote:
The other thing that science has proven, if I'm not mistaken is that lifting weight may increase your metabolism. So in addition to your cardio, you may want to add some weight lifting. Go easy at first. In addition to getting stronger, you may be able to increase your resting metabolism. FYI don't be alarmed if you gain a bit on the scale. Muscle is heavier than fat. You can measure your waist and hips as another indicator instead of just looking at the scale.
I do lift weights. I do an upper body once a week and a lower body once a week. I do core both days. I also do HIIT twice a week. My waist to hip ratio is healthy as I carry much more weight in my hips/thighs than my upper body or through my middle. I wear a size 36 bra but a size 12/14 pants.

I do like your idea about not worrying about it but something tells me that something is wrong somewhere.

I have had a lot of posts worrying that I am eating too many calories but I don't eat a lot at all. I rarely snack. The only time I snack is if I am in a situation where I eat lunch at noon and then won't be able to eat until late in the evening.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
What a bunch of cow poop. There's nothing wrong with wheat unless you have celiac disease or a wheat or gluten allergy. If wheat were so poisonous to humans, why would it have become such an essential part of human diet and culture over the past 10000 years or so? OTOH, nuts like almonds are about 80% fat, not "high protein". Fat has 9 calories/gram versus 4 calories/gram for protein or carbohydrate; if the OP wants to continue to lose weight, she needs to find ways to reduce her calorie consumption, which would argue for cutting out high-fat foods from her diet in preference to protein or carbohydrates.
You are obviously not familiar with much of the literature that is widely available regarding how much wheat derived products (and all processed food items that contain wheat) have changed in the last 30 years. Semi-dwarf high yield wheat with high gluten content bares no resemblance to any wheat consumed by humans in the historical past at all. As the seed head of the wheat plant is much larger, gluten content is much higher, impacting many Americans in highly negative ways, of which they are documented. No American needs wheat in their diet in its present form, regardless if they have celiac, gluten intolerance, or complete tolerance. Almonds are a much better option than any wheat derived products for a snack due to high protein, low carbohydrate, and low saturated fat content. They fit in well to a modified paleo diet approach.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't eat any noodles or wheat.
That is very good then. You are on the right track

Old 02-14-2016, 02:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
According to the height/weight charts I am obses (5'3", 183 lb). I would have to get down to around 170 to be considered overweight and about 140 to be considered a normal weight.

My trainer says I need to eat more calories. He thinks that what I eat (low carb) is ok but that I am not eating often enough, or enough calories. I am hesitant to add calories because I am afraid to more calories will make me gain weight.

I don't think I have serious issues because I feel fine. If I was sick wouldn't I feel bad?

I do lift weights. I do an upper body once a week and a lower body once a week. I do core both days. I also do HIIT twice a week. My waist to hip ratio is healthy as I carry much more weight in my hips/thighs than my upper body or through my middle. I wear a size 36 bra but a size 12/14 pants.

I do like your idea about not worrying about it but something tells me that something is wrong somewhere.

I have had a lot of posts worrying that I am eating too many calories but I don't eat a lot at all. I rarely snack. The only time I snack is if I am in a situation where I eat lunch at noon and then won't be able to eat until late in the evening.
? Why write so much. Basically you need to eat. Your body has gotten used to functioning on fewer calories. If you want to rev up your weight loss, you need to eat some more. At least for a period of time ok to get the metabolism back up.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:45 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,260 times
Quote:
You are obviously not familiar with much of the literature that is widely available regarding how much wheat derived products (and all processed food items that contain wheat) have changed in the last 30 years.
What I'm familiar with is that some doctor who is not a nutritionist has made a lot of money promoting his books where he's claimed that wheat makes you fat, without any peer-reviewed scientific studies to back up his claims.

I also know that some countries outside the US have much higher per capita rates of wheat consumption (e.g., I believe France is 2x higher and Morocco is 4x higher), but obesity rates in those countries are much lower than in the US. Whatever is making Americans fat, it is not wheat. I am not a nutritionist either, but I think out-of-control portion sizes, eating too much sugar and fat, and a shift to more sedentary occupations and lifestyles has a lot more to do with it than wheat.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:04 PM

605 posts, read 704,651 times
If you want to boost your metabolism, then eat small portions more often throughout the day consistently (at least two weeks for your body to adjust on average). Also, you may want to invest in a food scale to really understand portions and calorie counting. It sounds like your food diet is fairly healthy, but it is very easy (in Western culture) to over-estimate portions.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
You may think I'm crazy, but I was stuck like that at one time, and Weight Watchers told me to up my calories. I was aghast but I did it. AND I LOST WEIGHT.

I had forced my body into a semi starvation mode.

Of course, I didn't let up on exercise - I think that's important to keep the metabolism clicking along.

I don't know if you're a WWers fan, but it may be worth checking into their program. I personally need a bit more structure than they usually offer, but they were right on target about my caloric intake, which was shocking to me.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
What I'm familiar with is that some doctor who is not a nutritionist has made a lot of money promoting his books where he's claimed that wheat makes you fat, without any peer-reviewed scientific studies to back up his claims.

I also know that some countries outside the US have much higher per capita rates of wheat consumption (e.g., I believe France is 2x higher and Morocco is 4x higher), but obesity rates in those countries are much lower than in the US. Whatever is making Americans fat, it is not wheat. I am not a nutritionist either, but I think out-of-control portion sizes, eating too much sugar and fat, and a shift to more sedentary occupations and lifestyles has a lot more to do with it than wheat.
Its amazing that other countries can eat wheat and not be overweight, but here in America we can't touch because it is POISON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss