Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I don't think anything you do will cause you to grow a mollusk inside you....

Another spelling cop and school mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
This is a pretty cool little calculator that might help you (its fun too)

Use the dials to enter as much info about yourself as you can- and it will tell you how many calories per day are needed to maintain weight (less would lead to loss, more to gain)

Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:09 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Another spelling cop and school mom.
Yes, now turn around, you're under arrest, and go clean your room first, young man!

Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is a pretty cool little calculator that might help you (its fun too)

Use the dials to enter as much info about yourself as you can- and it will tell you how many calories per day are needed to maintain weight (less would lead to loss, more to gain)

Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.
That was fun (and pretty, which is always a plus for me), thank you!

Old 02-23-2016, 11:03 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,085 times
Quote:
If your exercising and building mussel ... then you are putting on mussel weight which by volume is twice as heavy as fat by volume. If you consume ( more protein than you need ) it will turn to fat and mussel ... and defeat you weight loss.

There's no way the OP is putting on muscle eating approx. 1,200 to 1,300 calories a day when his/her BMR is probably at least 1,700 calories. The OP has eaten too low of calories for too long and the metabolism has slowed down to compensate. At the OP's weight, it really doesn't matter what he/she eats for additional calories but that he/she increases calories for as long as it takes to get the metabolism working again.

For workouts, I would cut down on the cardio and add more weights/resistance training. Probably a significant portion of the 50 pounds the OP lost was muscle with the calories being too low so the OP needs to work on maintaining/increasing muscle, which will help with increasing metabolism as well as other health benefits.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
There's no way the OP is putting on muscle eating approx. 1,200 to 1,300 calories a day when his/her BMR is probably at least 1,700 calories. The OP has eaten too low of calories for too long and the metabolism has slowed down to compensate. At the OP's weight, it really doesn't matter what he/she eats for additional calories but that he/she increases calories for as long as it takes to get the metabolism working again.

For workouts, I would cut down on the cardio and add more weights/resistance training. Probably a significant portion of the 50 pounds the OP lost was muscle with the calories being too low so the OP needs to work on maintaining/increasing muscle, which will help with increasing metabolism as well as other health benefits.
According to my scale I hardly lost any muscle. I lift weights twice a week and have gotten significantly stronger in the past year. Today I added some tomato soup (home made) and cashews (1 handful) to my normal diet. The thing is I'm really full and I don't know how I'm going to eat dinner.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:11 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Muscle on women does not add significant weight since we do not bulk up the way men do.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:20 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
If your exercising and building mussel ... then you are putting on mussel weight which by volume is twice as heavy as fat by volume. If you consume ( more protein than you need ) it will turn to fat and mussel ... and defeat you weight loss.

A pound is a pound, whether it's muscle or fat. The difference is the space it takes up, muscle is leaner while fat spreads.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:40 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
A pound is a pound, whether it's muscle or fat. The difference is the space it takes up, muscle is leaner while fat spreads.
This ^^^. Also, people always WAY overestimate how much actual muscle they have or are putting on - it takes a LONG time especially for women to gain even a few lbs of muscle. The important thing is not just the number on the scale, but your measurements and how clothes fit. Even my own doctor tells me not to go by the number on the scale.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:23 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,295,079 times
There is some truth to eating more to getting past a plateau at least with me I got a really bad chest cold from guy at work who refuses to stay home when he is sick, and I had to stop working out for 2 weeks. I ate more then I usually do didn't stick to my diet either that well was just too sick to really make much food. Ate out lot of days and really hit the carbs I thought I had to have gained weight over those days after about 3 weeks I went back to the gym weighed in and actually lost 3 lbs where I had been stuck at for the last month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss