Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
A vegan eating plan has worked for me. What the OP is doing isn't working for her. It's not dogma, it's advice being given from the results of my direct experience.
I kind of doubt that the OP plans on going from a relatively healthy diet to one so unhealthy it is 2nd only to the typical American diet, so we can probably dispense with the vegan propaganda.

Quote:
Advice such as "count your calories and exercise more" is neither specific nor helpful, imo.
Actually it's about the most spot on advice she could probably get to this point. Right now, the OP really only has a rough estimate of her caloric intake and due to their physiology, women often need to include a fair amount of cardio past the initial stages of weight loss.

Knowing the caloric intake is step #1 and only solution that doesn't address that first is putting the cart before the horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 PM

380 posts, read 652,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I kind of doubt that the OP plans on going from a relatively healthy diet to one so unhealthy it is 2nd only to the typical American diet, so we can probably dispense with the vegan propaganda.
It sounds like she wants to go from a diet that is currently ineffective (hence the post) to one that is effective. What I did was both effective and healthy, and I know this from personal experience in watching my weight drop and my numbers all go in the right direction. Again, my advice was based on my personal experience. But don't let that stop you from bellowing words like "propaganda" and "dogma."

Last edited by Sean Kellogg; 02-17-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
It sounds like she wants to go from a diet that is currently ineffective (hence the post) to one that is effective.
The diet isn't ineffective, it simply needs to be adjusted. This is not at all uncommon when one crosses the barrier from obese to reasonable weight.

Quote:
What I did was both effective and healthy, and I know this from personal experience in watching my weight drop and my numbers all go in the right direction.
Wanna share your iron and B12 levels from your latest blood test with us? What about your numbers in the weight room on the big compound lifts?

Quote:
Again, my advice was based on my personal experience. But don't let that stop you from bellowing words like "propaganda" and "dogma."
Right. You went from being slightly overweight, to dropping some weight with a vegan diet and it's now the ONLY thing you've ever recommended in here. Literally every single post you've made in this forum is pushing a vegan lifestyle (and those watching this debate, feel free to go back through his posts and look. I'm really not making this up) so tell me again how it isn't dogma.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,260 times
Well, my diet has been effective, too, but I still eat meat and bread and other stuff that some people in this thread have been claiming is variously bad for you or will make you fat. The reasons why I've been able to lose weight are that (a) I am eating fewer calories than I am burning and (b) I can sustain my diet over the long term because I am still eating "regular" food that leaves me feeling full and satisfied -- just smaller portions and no snacking between meals.

I really do think that the OP would find it helpful to track her calorie consumption for at least a few days. Maybe she will see some opportunities to replace higher-calorie foods or condiments with lower-calorie alternatives that are just as satisfying to her, or realize that some of the things she is eating/drinking contribute more calories than she thinks and that she could substitute other foods that are more filling with the same or less calories, etc. It is hard to know where to go next if you don't know where you are now.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Well, my diet has been effective, too, but I still eat meat and bread and other stuff that some people in this thread have been claiming is variously bad for you or will make you fat. The reasons why I've been able to lose weight are that (a) I am eating fewer calories than I am burning and (b) I can sustain my diet over the long term because I am still eating "regular" food that leaves me feeling full and satisfied -- just smaller portions and no snacking between meals.

I really do think that the OP would find it helpful to track her calorie consumption for at least a few days. Maybe she will see some opportunities to replace higher-calorie foods or condiments with lower-calorie alternatives that are just as satisfying to her, or realize that some of the things she is eating/drinking contribute more calories than she thinks and that she could substitute other foods that are more filling with the same or less calories, etc. It is hard to know where to go next if you don't know where you are now.
I do the same thing and have lost weight in the past by adjusting my calorie consumption and I now maintain my weight by doing the same and exercising on a regular basis. I do not have to say, 'no' to any food, I can go out to eat (and do often), or go to friends houses for parties and dinners.
Quality of life is the real goal - that includes being fit and not worrying about a food group I am supposed to avoid.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The diet isn't ineffective, it simply needs to be adjusted. This is not at all uncommon when one crosses the barrier from obese to reasonable weight.

Wanna share your iron and B12 levels from your latest blood test with us? What about your numbers in the weight room on the big compound lifts?

Right. You went from being slightly overweight, to dropping some weight with a vegan diet and it's now the ONLY thing you've ever recommended in here. Literally every single post you've made in this forum is pushing a vegan lifestyle (and those watching this debate, feel free to go back through his posts and look. I'm really not making this up) so tell me again how it isn't dogma.
Please work in the word agenda in your next reply to me.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Please work in the word agenda in your next reply to me.
I'll tell you what, let's settle this right now. You show me a single post where you push any sort of dietary approach that isn't veganism, and I'll apologize and drop the subject.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you what, let's settle this right now. You show me a single post where you push any sort of dietary approach that isn't veganism, and I'll apologize and drop the subject.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that. And for what it's worth: I eat honey, I wear leather, and I don't approach a vegan diet (as you correctly call it in this post, not "lifestyle" as you said in a previous one) from an ethical perspective. I don't have ethical issues with or look down on people who choose to eat meat or dairy; I just think they're unnecessary and antagonistic to weight loss for the average person (though both are helpful for aspiring muscleheads). This plan has worked for me, and worked more easily than anything else I'd tried to lose blubber in the past, and that's why I'm eager to share it with people who are struggling with their current diets. I don't think that makes me a dogmatic propagandist, but if you do, we'll agree to disagree.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
Yes, you don't need to reiterate that point because it's totally different than what you said before, when you claimed that the fault is with the variety of wheat being grown now and with changes to wheat processing in the last 30 years, not *where* it is grown.

About half of the US wheat crop is exported to other countries. Are you now claiming that US wheat suddenly stops being so poisonous when it's consumed by people in other countries?
Yes, the US is exporting its wheat and other unhealthy processed items to more markets, and obesity is rising in many countries as they transition to eating more US processed types of food. No, it has nothing to do with changes to wheat processing, and everything to do with changes to the plant itself- given that the old plant is no longer in production (vast majority) as the yields don't make it profitable for the farmer. Modern wheat is toxic in its current form, yes.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:21 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Modern wheat is toxic in its current form, yes.
Since I've been eating plenty of that modern wheat myself for years, why aren't I dead yet if it's so horribly "toxic"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss