Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:10 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times

Advertisements

There is debate on whether or not red wine has additional health benefits. One benefit may be the extra polyphenols. Another explanation is that red wine drinkers may be more likely to contain their drinking to just moderate levels compared to those who drink other kinds of alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There is debate on whether or not red wine has additional health benefits. One benefit may be the extra polyphenols. Another explanation is that red wine drinkers may be more likely to contain their drinking to just moderate levels compared to those who drink other kinds of alcohol.
This is a brand new study that just came out. Of course it is all about moderation.

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/52852

Old 03-10-2016, 05:40 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Beer is high in carbs. If you have 2-3 beers a day, then you should limit your other simple carbs. No flour. No sugar. Its all about balance.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:50 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Beer is high in carbs. If you have 2-3 beers a day, then you should limit your other simple carbs. No flour. No sugar. Its all about balance.
Most beer is. But there are several low carb beers - my favorite (when I drink beer) is Corona Lite - it tastes great and only has 5 carbs and 96 calories per can.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
Anyone here who got fat belly mainly due to beer everyday?
No way to tell unless you meet someone who eats a perfect diet and drinks beer daily.

None of the people I know who eat perfect diets drink alcohol.
I mean perfect.
No cheat days.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Losing weight is all about calories. Include the beer in your allowed overall daily calories. If you need to watch carbs, switch to a different type of alcoholic drink, like wine.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 PM

21 posts, read 19,218 times
No! If you count calories its nothing compared to fries and other heavy meals.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:19 PM

421 posts, read 422,901 times
How about low calories beer like Budweiser Select55 or Miller light?
They also have low carb.
They are OK?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
It definitely isnt healthy to do that, but it doesnt necessarily mean its going to make your belly fat. Other factors will include your overall nutritional intake, current body type, exercise plan and exercise intensity levels, etc.

I am a beer drinker. I heavy beer drinker. For the past year or so I've put away on average 3-4 beers per day. That is PER DAY!! I drink waaaaay too much beer. I year ago I was 176 lbs with 31-32 in waist. Today, as of just a few minutes ago I weighed in at 177.2 lbs and have 31" waist and still have visible abs.

This is because I eat right (with the occasional 2 IN-N-Out double double burgers) and workout 2-3 times per day (morning cardio of 5-7 mile run or hour of jump rope, Crossfit or HIT weight training in the afternoon, and martial arts training most nights). If you train like this, maybe you two can still have flat belly while drinking your 2 cans of beer per day.
Kind of sounds like you're bragging a bit, but let's be realistic. If most everybody had time to workout 2-3 times a day, like you, then all of us would have flat stomachs even while drinking 4 beers a day. Your average person is at work from 8-5 every day, some longer than that. Mix in having small kids into the equation, we're lucky we get in one workout a day. Probably not enough to counter having beer on a daily basis.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post

Well, having been one who had at least one glass, sometimes two, of red wine every night for the past year and a half, I can't say that I saw any real health benefits. I still had elevated BP, and I gained 30 pounds. Like any other alcoholic drink, the wine bloated me to where you could see it in my face. Plus, the red wine made me crave snacks, so that didn't help. I would probably say from my experience, there is no truth to red wine being beneficial to weight loss or aiding in lowering BP.

Since I've cut out regular consumption of alcohol, my BP isn't as bad and people are commenting on my weight loss, even though I haven't really lost a significant amount of weight. They comment on how they can see it in my face. Even though I am a long ways to my fitness goal, I already feel a lot healthier not drinking than I did when I was having a regular glass of wine. Now, someone else might have a totally different outcome than me, but my experience has taught me that wine is just like any other alcoholic drink - probably not good to have it on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss