Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I understand the article was about low fat. Low fat is really the alternative to low carb. There is a ton of evidence supporting low carb vs low fat. I'm not going to get in a pi$$ing contest with you because you are going to believe what you want to believe.
There is another alternative, which is actually the healthy, sensible, long term alternative. A diet that is relatively low calorie without making any particular nutrient low in terms of the percentage of calories. This would be the sensible, healthy way to eat.

This is the way that most people who maintain a healthy weight over the long term eat.

I know. Who wudda thunk it!? Sensible eating with portion control getting nutrients from a wide variety of whole foods without obsessing about one particular nutrient such as protein or carbohydrates.

But, for some reason, many people always are looking for some fad alternative that inevitably leaves them fatter down the road.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 04-12-2016 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,147 times
I was eating whole grain before and sprouted bread. Wheat belly didn't scare me off (I didn't read it). I bloat very easy and am lactose intolerant, so for grins I went strict Paleo. It was great, I felt good too but it wasn't sustainable. So, i decided to dial it back in my approach and just try to avoid processed food in general. Fruits, veggies, nuts and meat are all okay. I won't freak out about eating a English muffin here and there - so long as it doesn't become habit. But I shy away from eating bread, rice, oats or grains generally speaking. I just don't think it's worth the calories and those sorts of things (pasta included) were never things I liked that much anyways. Occasionally, I'll even have yogurt (lactose free) or a little cream cheese.

For example, today I had seared ahi tuna on cucumber rounds with a little veggie cream cheese. It was so good.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
This is similar to what I said in an earlier post on this thread. The more natural and less processed the better. When I quit eating sugar I lost 6 pounds in one week. I was shocked. I will, on occasion, have a small piece of dessert if I'm at a family gathering but I don't eat sugary cereals and I quit drinking Coke which was hard. However the reward is when you get to go shopping for new clothes when you start dropping weight (10 lbs is supposedly a dress size) and you feel better about yourself. I know I did and I wasn't obese, just zaftig.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There is another alternative, which is actually the healthy, sensible, long term alternative. A diet that is relatively low calorie without making any particular nutrient low in terms of the percentage of calories. This would be the sensible, healthy way to eat.

This is the way that most people who maintain a healthy weight over the long term eat.

I know. Who wudda thunk it!? Sensible eating with portion control getting nutrients from a wide variety of whole foods without obsessing about one particular nutrient such as protein or carbohydrates.

But, for some reason, many people always are looking for some fad alternative that inevitably leaves them fatter down the road.
A diet that has been around for well over 100 years is not a fad.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:21 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not true.
That is completely false, wheat was modified (Green Revolution era) to feed global population. Wheat found in most commonly is high yield semi-dwarf durum wheat grown from a short plant with very thick seed heads, absolutely nothing like the plant that was grown before that (prior to the 1970s).

Old 04-13-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
A diet that has been around for well over 100 years is not a fad.
It comes and goes in different marketing schemes. It is still a fad.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is completely false, wheat was modified (Green Revolution era) to feed global population. Wheat found in most commonly is high yield semi-dwarf durum wheat grown from a short plant with very thick seed heads, absolutely nothing like the plant that was grown before that (prior to the 1970s).
Yes, it is different than the wheat prior to the 70s, but wheat had been cross-breeding and modifying itself for thousands of years. Are their studies supporting the idea that modern wheat is somehow bad for us?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Nutritionally it is almost the same.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Nutritionally it is almost the same.
It has enhanced appetite stimulating properties and negative health ramifications of all kinds, you'll only realize that fact once you stop consuming it entirely.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yes, it is different than the wheat prior to the 70s, but wheat had been cross-breeding and modifying itself for thousands of years. Are their studies supporting the idea that modern wheat is somehow bad for us?
https://authoritynutrition.com/moder...lth-nightmare/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss