Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,931,316 times

Advertisements

I have read several posts from people who state they have removed wheat (and sometimes other grains) from their diets and claim to have gotten good results. For those who have done this, were you only eating 100% whole grains and nothing with white/refined grains before the switch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:42 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,510,975 times
Probably a result of reading the book "Wheat Belly" most people who read it give up consuming wheat based products.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,453,537 times
I don't really buy into the "gluten-free" myth. But my feeling is that foods with wheat tend to be more processed than other foods. That means there are extra calories in there that you don't need, even if you're eating whole grains. For example, most bread has at least a little sugar.

I'm pretty much gluten-free in my house (not when I eat out), but that's because I'm trying to eat mostly unprocessed foods (except for cheese - screw that, I'm not giving up cheese!), not because I think there's anything particularly evil about gluten.

When I want pasta, I julienne and saute some zucchini and pour sauce over it and don't really miss the pasta.

Some people DO have wheat sensitivities without having something like celiac, however. So the universal pooh-poohing that I see of the gluten-free trend does irritate me. I know I have some foods that just affect me differently - not allergies, but "intolerance" issues. It doesn't seem all that crazy to me as a result that some people just don't do well with wheat.

Doesn't really answer your question though.

I'm basically wheat free in my house and I was exclusively whole grains before I made that switch except when I ate dessert items or went out for my meal. Currently eschewing all desserts, pasta and pizza, and only eating bread when dining out on weekends.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:58 AM

15,233 posts, read 10,415,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't really buy into the "gluten-free" myth. But my feeling is that foods with wheat tend to be more processed than other foods. That means there are extra calories in there that you don't need, even if you're eating whole grains. For example, most bread has at least a little sugar.

I'm pretty much gluten-free in my house (not when I eat out), but that's because I'm trying to eat mostly unprocessed foods (except for cheese - screw that, I'm not giving up cheese!), not because I think there's anything particularly evil about gluten.

When I want pasta, I julienne and saute some zucchini and pour sauce over it and don't really miss the pasta.

Some people DO have wheat sensitivities without having something like celiac, however. So the universal pooh-poohing that I see of the gluten-free trend does irritate me. I know I have some foods that just affect me differently - not allergies, but "intolerance" issues. It doesn't seem all that crazy to me as a result that some people just don't do well with wheat.

Doesn't really answer your question though.

I'm basically wheat free in my house and I was exclusively whole grains before I made that switch except when I ate dessert items or went out for my meal. Currently eschewing all desserts, pasta and pizza, and only eating bread when dining out on weekends.

You mentioned zucchini but have you tried spaghetti squash?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,269,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I have read several posts from people who state they have removed wheat (and sometimes other grains) from their diets and claim to have gotten good results. For those who have done this, were you only eating 100% whole grains and nothing with white/refined grains before the switch?
I've wonder the same thing. Personally, I have zero issues with wheat... but I don't eat cookies and cakes, and only have pasta once in a blue moon (I just don't like it all that much). What I do eat a decent amount of are whole grains: bulgar, wheat berries, kamut, spelt, homemade whole wheat or pumpernickle bread. Maybe some Triscuits now and then, but I'm not much of a snacker.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 AM

5,359 posts, read 8,590,384 times
I get GI problems from wheat/gluten. I first noticed it in the early 90's when I drank a pint of hefeweizen beer (wheat based). I didn't make the link then, though. Then a couple of years later, I ate some Tofurkey at Thanksgiving, which is made from wheat gluten- again, severe GI problems. Still didn't know there was a problem.

A few years later, I tried to figure out what was causing GI problems, and at that point made the connection to wheat/gluten. In my case, I can eat small amounts of wheat/gluten and will get mild/tolerable GI issues, but if I eat a large quantity, then it will be a major problem. Eating completely gluten free is way too strict for me, so I do eat small quantities, but try to limit it to a couple times per week. For a large meal like pasta or pizza, I eat the gluten-free version.

For me it had nothing to do with weight loss or being trendy. I figured this out about 15 years ago. I also learned that one of my uncles has celiac sprue disease, so I believe I have some genetic predisposition in terms of reacting badly to gluten.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,453,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You mentioned zucchini but have you tried spaghetti squash?
I love spaghetti squash, but zucchini is easier to prepare with more room for error. With the spaghetti squash, you have to wrestle with cutting it or stick it in the microwave first and then you have to make sure it cooks fully...

With the zucchini, I don't even use a spiralizer - just a veggie peeler or julienne tool and I cook it after shredding it in the same pan I put the sauce in.

But yeah, the spaghetti squash is yummy!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,868,454 times
I was eating mostly 100% whole wheat and I still eat some wheat. I tested allergic to it and shouldn't be eating wheat of any kind at all. Often I use gluten free flour even though I'm not trying to avoid gluten--but I use it because I doesn't contain wheat.

People are allergic to wheat because it's one of the staples of our diet. That's what my allergist told me. We eat too much of it. There is rice flour, buckwheat flour--lots of substitutes for baking.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-07-2016 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 11:36 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,016,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I was eating 90% whole grains before I went gluten free. In my case, I had some GI issues and never really knew why. They weren't consistent and always seemed worse in times of stress so I figured stress was the only culprit. Then I eliminated wheat as an experiment, not expecting any great results, and I was shocked. I felt way better. Not just physically but mentally, too. So, I've never gone back to wheat. I do eat rice occasionally still.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,269,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was eating mostly 100% whole wheat and I still eat some wheat. I tested allergic to it and shouldn't be eating wheat of any kind at all. Often I use gluten free flour even though I'm not trying to avoid gluten--but I use it because I doesn't contain wheat.

People are allergic to wheat because it's one of the staples of our diet. That's what my allergist told me. We eat too much of it. There is rice flour, buckwheat flour--lots of substitutes for baking.
Kind of, sort of. The immune system can spontaneously react after consuming a particular food, whether it's the first time you've ever eaten it or the hundredth time; any food we consume can potentially cause sensitization. Whether it's wheat or peanuts in North America, or rice in East Asia, the food is more the catalyst than the cause. Interestingly, I developed a full-blown allergy to bananas about 5 years ago; I never ate them growing up because I couldn't stand the smell, but I did try to eat one while I was pregnant (I was suddenly craving one, even though I don't like them. It was every bit as disgusting as I thought it would be). Nothing happened, but a few years later I broke out in hives after eating a cookie that (unbeknownst to me) had mashed bananas in them. Now, I can't even be in the room if someone is peeling a banana or my throat starts to swell shut. The allergist said it's actually not uncommon to develop food allergies postpartum, because the immune system is weakened during pregnancy.

Same with dairy: I had no idea I was allergic because I didn't eat dairy when I was growing up; I have no idea why but I absolutely refused milk, cheese, yogurt, even ice cream. Finally gave them a try as an adult, and found them to be delightful. Alas, after a very short run, I started to get stabbing pains and heart palpitations after consuming them. Lactose intolerance test was negative, but the RAST test showed an allergy to casein.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-07-2016 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss