Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If that's true - your body doesn't have the opportunity to burn fat if you are "packing in the carbs" - then why have I lost 60 lbs and my body fat percentage has correspondingly gone down?

My diet was, and still is, moderate carbs, proteins, and fats, btw. Somehow the glycogen stores were depleted and my body also burned fat.

I'll tell you why - it's because I ate less of everything and worked out at a moderate to high intensity. I also strength trained. Enough to burn carbs and fat over a period of time. There's no superior diet out there. If y'all want to eat all the meat, avocados, and seeds you want, that's great..but as I've said all along, that's not the only way to effectively lose weight and keep it off.
You kind of answered your own question. Your body starts burning fat when you glycogen is depleted. If you consume moderate carbs and work out hard as you describe, you will get to the fat burning. This is why marathon runners are very lean. Some consume massive amounts of carbs and I'm sure that after a 26 mile run, they burn them all off and then start burning fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Personally I don't subscribe to any "diet" that promotes the elimination or severe reduction of an important food group.
That is certainly your choice but with some people that are obese and cannot lose weight any other way it is very effective. Some choose to remain with it as a lifestyle. I went with it because it was the only real way to control my diabetes and it turned out to have additional health benefits.

Last edited by gguerra; 02-07-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 04:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Is this possible without a lot of cooking?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Of course. Grab a stick of butter and eat it. Keto.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Of course. Grab a stick of butter and eat it. Keto.
LOL!

Yeah, this sounds ridiculous to me. Anytime a diet bans fruit, I know that it is not for me.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 AM

711 posts, read 687,989 times
Quote:
LOL!

Yeah, this sounds ridiculous to me. Anytime a diet bans fruit, I know that it is not for me.
Ditto!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:11 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
Quote:
LOL!

To a person with a normal physiology, I can understand how someone might think it is a horrible diet.

Keto is very much like a diabetic diet. Fruits contain natural sugar called fructose which is metabolized like any other, when you have diabetes issues, it is something that you limit.

Not for everyone, to be sure.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You could do it with purchased baked chickens, pre-cooked bacon, canned veggies, raw veggies.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
To a person with a normal physiology, I can understand how someone might think it is a horrible diet.

Keto is very much like a diabetic diet. Fruits contain natural sugar called fructose which is metabolized like any other, when you have diabetes issues, it is something that you limit.

Not for everyone, to be sure.
Actually, it's not. Fructose is fructose. Sucrose is one part fructose one part glucose. Uptake mechanisms for fructose and glucose differ which is why high concentration fructose corn syrup (90% fructose, 10% glucose) is one of the earliest diabetic sweeteners. Fructose does not produce the rapid insulin response that sucrose (table sugar) does. Although normal HFCS used in soda is more like 65-75% fructose so it does contain quite a bit especially since there's just so much sweetener in soda. The larger problem with 90% fructose HFCS is that excessive consumption of fructose, be it from apples or from HFCS, has some debatable correlation with insulin resistance. If you're diabetic, pre-diabetic, or even if you're not, you should still moderate sugar intake for that reason. For diabetics though, preferable to use fructose over sucrose. Additionally, better because it has a higher relative sweetness than sucrose so you don't need to use as much to get the same effect.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 AM

My sugar is limited to what is in the vegetables I eat. No fruit sugar, no starchy veggies, no wheat products.

This is the first WOE that I've never been hungry. No hunger ever. #ketolife #loveketo

Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My sugar is limited to what is in the vegetables I eat. No fruit sugar, no starchy veggies, no wheat products.

This is the first WOE that I've never been hungry. No hunger ever. #ketolife #loveketo

This doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

What do you do for special occasions? Today is Valentine's Day. What about birthdays? No cake? Ever?

And what is wrong with being hungry?? Isn't that t a normal physiological response?

I guess I see food not as the enemy, but as one of the pleasures of life. Like anything, that pleasure can be abused. But it can also be enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss