Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,813,260 times

Advertisements

So for the first time I started a ketogenic diet a little over a week ago. At this point I almost have no appetite, i have two or three bites of something and im full to the point of being sick (i've tried everything that's allowed on this diet, and they all make me feel the same)! It's a struggle for me to get 1200 calories in a day, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has had the same issue with this diet? Is there anything I can do to remedy this, as I know its unhealthy to go under 1200 calories a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Your body is adjusting to the drastic change you are putting it through. It is common to feel crappy at the start, but it passes. That said, there are some people that just cannot handle this type of eating no matter what some may say.
I would stick with it for a few more days to see if you adapt to it. If not then scrap it and look for a different approach.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
So for the first time I started a ketogenic diet a little over a week ago. At this point I almost have no appetite, i have two or three bites of something and im full to the point of being sick (i've tried everything that's allowed on this diet, and they all make me feel the same)! It's a struggle for me to get 1200 calories in a day, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has had the same issue with this diet? Is there anything I can do to remedy this, as I know its unhealthy to go under 1200 calories a day.
Unhealthy? Are you overweight? I assume you are since you are dieting. I have never heard of going below a certain amount of calories being unhealthy. Actually, intermittent fasting can be a good thing if done right. I have been on a keto type diet for over two years and it is common to not feel hungry. When you do eat, eat to satisfaction and not more just to meet a certain calorie "requirement". I do keto, not paleo. I do enjoy some fruit, root veggies and dairy. I am a type 2 diabetic which is why I started the diet in the first place and along with it lost a good amount of weight and inches. Is that not what you want? My health markers are as good as they have ever been.

If you are worried about calories just add some fat to the mix and that will meet your calorie requirements real quick. I quit counting calories a long time ago, I count carbs and eat a lot of (healthy) fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:00 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Unhealthy? Are you overweight? I assume you are since you are dieting. I have never heard of going below a certain amount of calories being unhealthy. Actually, intermittent fasting can be a good thing if done right. I have been on a keto type diet for over two years and it is common to not feel hungry. When you do eat, eat to satisfaction and not more just to meet a certain calorie "requirement". I do keto, not paleo. I do enjoy some fruit, root veggies and dairy. I am a type 2 diabetic which is why I started the diet in the first place and along with it lost a good amount of weight and inches. Is that not what you want? My health markers are as good as they have ever been.

If you are worried about calories just add some fat to the mix and that will meet your calorie requirements real quick. I quit counting calories a long time ago, I count carbs and eat a lot of (healthy) fat. Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do.
No, calories make you fat. Doesn't matter if they're carbs, fats, or proteins. Calories in > calories out = get fat. Simple.

Fats are very easy to overeat on as they contain a lot of calories. I've got this fairly weeny sized 5.5 oz container of almonds on my desk I picked up when I didn't have time to get lunch. That suckers got 960 calories in it, 720 of them from fat. It's a fast food meal's worth of calories in a few handfuls.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

FALSE. Overeating makes you fat.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
What have you been eating?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Thank you for reminding me of the Keto Diet (RE: the book, 'Keto Clarity")

Org coconut oil rules!!!
Low calories...not 'unhealthy', esp when full of green veggies and lean meats.
Adequate healthy fats.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, calories make you fat. Doesn't matter if they're carbs, fats, or proteins. Calories in > calories out = get fat. Simple.

Fats are very easy to overeat on as they contain a lot of calories. I've got this fairly weeny sized 5.5 oz container of almonds on my desk I picked up when I didn't have time to get lunch. That suckers got 960 calories in it, 720 of them from fat. It's a fast food meal's worth of calories in a few handfuls.
It's not that simple and never was. Calories are NOT created equal.

A calorie is a measure of energy. Fats happen to provide a lot of energy. Not as much as carbs since the body runs on glucose and carbs are already glucose in a sense, no conversion necessary. When you don't burn said carbs they turn to fat that is stored in your body.

Quote:
Proponents of the “Calories in, Calories out” way of thinking say that the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is calories, disregarding completely the metabolic and hormonal impact of foods.
I know that 500 calories of pasta or pizza will make you gain more weight than 500 calories of lean protein or even the almonds you mention. I happen to eat almonds all the time for breakfast and as snacks during the day. I am still losing weight. I would put that against a double whopper any day of the week. They are not the same.

Why “Calories in, Calories Out” Doesn’t Tell The Whole Story

Old 01-05-2017, 01:58 AM

15 posts, read 32,882 times
Diet should be suited to you. If you feel bad during dieting, you should stop it immedietaly.
You can loose weight eating foods you like. Calorie deficit is crucial and what, when, how many is up to you. Only HOW MUCH you eat is important.
Cheers.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 AM

676 posts, read 528,781 times
I tried the keto diet, but it wreaked havoc with my sleep cycle. Seems I need a certain amount of carbs to get a good nights sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss