Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, it's not. Fructose is fructose. Sucrose is one part fructose one part glucose. Uptake mechanisms for fructose and glucose differ which is why high concentration fructose corn syrup (90% fructose, 10% glucose) is one of the earliest diabetic sweeteners. Fructose does not produce the rapid insulin response that sucrose (table sugar) does. Although normal HFCS used in soda is more like 65-75% fructose so it does contain quite a bit especially since there's just so much sweetener in soda.
The larger problem with 90% fructose HFCS is that excessive consumption of fructose, be it from apples or from HFCS, has some debatable correlation with insulin resistance. I
If you're diabetic, pre-diabetic, or even if you're not, you should still moderate sugar intake for that reason. For diabetics though, preferable to use fructose over sucrose. Additionally, better because it has a higher relative sweetness than sucrose so you don't need to use as much to get the same effect.
In general this is likely correct.
However, all fruit is not created equal.
Some types cause larger blood sugar spikes than others and the response can vary for each individual.

I think that poster is making a smart decision to avoid all fruit as it can be challenging and risky to figure out which ones are suitable and which are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 08:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

What do you do for special occasions? Today is Valentine's Day. What about birthdays? No cake? Ever?

And what is wrong with being hungry?? Isn't that t a normal physiological response?

I guess I see food not as the enemy, but as one of the pleasures of life. Like anything, that pleasure can be abused. But it can also be enjoyed.
Where is it written that special occasions always have to be celebrated with (sweet) food of some kind?
We, as a culture, are too tied to food as reward. It permeates everything that we do.

One of things that I've had to teach myself since I was diagnosed with prediabetes is that reward and celebration does not have to equal the foods traditionally associated with such.

It doesn't have to equal food at all.
There are many other ways to enjoy the company of others that don't involve stuffing copious amounts of empty calories into our bodies.

Deprivation is what one chooses to make it.
Choosing a diet that makes one feel full and satiated is not deprivation.
It's freedom.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where is it written that special occasions always have to be celebrated with (sweet) food of some kind?
We, as a culture, are too tied to food as reward. It permeates everything that we do.

One of things that I've had to teach myself since I was diagnosed with prediabetes is that reward and celebration does not have to equal the foods traditionally associated with such.

It doesn't have to equal food at all.
There are many other ways to enjoy the company of others that don't involve stuffing copious amounts of empty calories into our bodies.

Deprivation is what one chooses to make it.
Choosing a diet that makes one feel full and satiated is not deprivation.
It's freedom.

And where is written that it is 'wrong' to do so?

What do you do on birthdays? Do you attend other birthday parties where there will be cake present?

Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:

What do you do for special occasions? Today is Valentine's Day. What about birthdays? No cake? Ever?

And what is wrong with being hungry?? Isn't that t a normal physiological response?

I guess I see food not as the enemy, but as one of the pleasures of life. Like anything, that pleasure can be abused. But it can also be enjoyed.
This is the diet and weight loss forum. I am assuming that most of us are choosing to avoid processed sugars like birthday cake.

I'm also assuming that most of us have had issues with food and/or weight gain so that we are attempting to eat the best choices for our body types.

For me, I could care less about food, I am just trying to stay healthy as I age. I know from decades of eating that processed sweets like cake and Valentine's Day candy would trigger cravings that I just don't need. Been there, done that. It's not worth it. For me, it's almost like being an alcoholic, one slip up and I have a hard time getting back on track.

So, for some of us, those sorts of foods are the enemy. I still enjoy life and celebrations.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This is the diet and weight loss forum. I am assuming that most of us are choosing to avoid processed sugars like birthday cake.

I'm also assuming that most of us have had issues with food and/or weight gain so that we are attempting to eat the best choices for our body types.

For me, I could care less about food, I am just trying to stay healthy as I age. I know from decades of eating that processed sweets like cake and Valentine's Day candy would trigger cravings that I just don't need. Been there, done that. It's not worth it. For me, it's almost like being an alcoholic, one slip up and I have a hard time getting back on track.

So, for some of us, those sorts of foods are the enemy. I still enjoy life and celebrations.
I'm glad that you said "some of us" because I don't view those foods as "the enemy". I don't view any food as the enemy. I'm a sugarholic of the first order. Everyone has their Achilles. Going cold turkey would only trigger bingeing, a monster that I never want to experience again. Therefore, I have learned the art of moderation (and I'm not saying that I've perfected learning that art). I regularly eat sugar - be it fruit or a 100 calorie "Skinny Cow Dream Clusters" - but I never overdo it. Because my body is getting what it likes - albeit in smaller portions - the cravings are managed. My body wasn't happy at first because I used to eat whatever I wanted before, but now I can easily walk past a tray of cinnabons with no issue since I haven't eliminated something that I love. In addition, I treat myself to a "cheat day" where I eat all sorts of unhealthy things. As counterproductive as that sounds, "cheat days" are the secret to my success and have actually helped me to practice moderation (most of the time )

Life is too short for me to deny what I like. I like food. I also like to be healthy. I think that I can achieve a balance. I would rather be overweight than to ever deprive myself again. so yes, I eat mangoes, white potatoes, dessert. My caloric intake remains in the acceptable range.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I attend parties infrequently. Should someone I know have one and I wanted to attend, such as at work, I would attend but I don't feel compelled (or bullied) into eating something that is not healthy for me.

To each their own.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzoel View Post
Carbs before sleep are the best sleeping pills :-)
On cutting I was eating around 350g daily. Before sleep around 200g. Now on bulking phase I'm eating nearly 500g daily and 350g before sleep.
Carbs giving you energy and when you're working out they're crucial!
Cheers
This is about the worst thing you could do if you're overweight....the OP didn't mention anything about working out either.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:44 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times
Quote:

As a keto dieter and chocoholic...I have to have my chocolate and I do! I have 1 Lily's stevia sweetened chocolate bar (taste no different to me than regular)with a handful of walnuts or pecans each day. Sometimes I warm the bar and sit the nuts in the chocolate then chill it. I eat ONE A DAY. I still lose weight. I keep my carbs under 30/day calories under 1600 and do the 65/30/5 on My Fitness Pal. Do I go over some days..Yes and under some days. Usually stay around 25 carbs a day so go over the recommended 20 a lot. Losing inches is key to me so that is how I guage it is working.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
As a keto dieter and chocoholic...I have to have my chocolate and I do! I have 1 Lily's stevia sweetened chocolate bar (taste no different to me than regular)with a handful of walnuts or pecans each day. Sometimes I warm the bar and sit the nuts in the chocolate then chill it. I eat ONE A DAY. I still lose weight. I keep my carbs under 30/day calories under 1600 and do the 65/30/5 on My Fitness Pal. Do I go over some days..Yes and under some days. Usually stay around 25 carbs a day so go over the recommended 20 a lot. Losing inches is key to me so that is how I guage it is working.
I'd rather just eat a chocolate bar, or one of those Skinny Cow things. No special diet required.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:58 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I've heard great things about Lily's. I currently have 1 square of Ghiradhelli extreme dark a few times a week. So good!

Don't let the negative Nellies get to you on here.

Keto is where it's at! KCKO, as we say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss