Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I get it - its like budgeting your nutrients (re the fruit).

I think also you avoid fruit and other high-sugar foods because you want your body to use fat as fuel, not sugar as fuel? is that the idea?

I do want to do the low carb. I am motivated to do that, amazingly because i am a sugar addict. I mean literally where certain food when eaten makes me feel relaxed, like a tranquilizer! you can actually feel the calmness set in after eating certain foods. but now i am determined to do this.
You are right. I'm a sugar addict too, I've had to really be careful because a tiny bit will start terrible cravings for more.

If you add a new food, just keep weighing yourself to make sure it doesn't stop or reverse your weight loss. Everyone is different.

And btw, eggs do not have carbs as posted earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,097 times
I've been doing the keto diet since early January, I've lost 27 lbs so far. I too was a sugar addict as well but had to go cold turkey, felt like entering rehab and that is how I approached it. I was miserable that first week with headaches but by the end of the week it disappeared and it was replaced with new energy. This diet was a lifesaver for me. May not work for everyone but I have nothing bad to say about it. I kept my carbs low for the first month but after that I added some new carbs in, no sugars if at all possible. I'd say I'm about 50 carbs a day now. I consistently lose about 2 lbs. a week although I wish it would be a little more per week, I need to be thankful for the 2 though.
I've seen many videos recently saying it is more about a calorie deficit than watching carbs/proteins/fat intake, is that true? I did experiment one day though, my calorie deficit intake was to be 2000 and I ate that and lost 2 lbs however it was a high carb day that day(cheat meal basically shame on me), however that week prior to the carb day I was very good on low carbs and didn't lose a pound then I go and did a high carb day and lose 2 lbs. I couldn't understand why that happened. You would have thought that the low carb week would have helped me lose that week. So is it really just calories I should be paying attention to and meet my calorie deficit each day without monitoring carbs/proteins/fat?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:24 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
I've been doing the keto diet since early January, I've lost 27 lbs so far. I too was a sugar addict as well but had to go cold turkey, felt like entering rehab and that is how I approached it. I was miserable that first week with headaches but by the end of the week it disappeared and it was replaced with new energy. This diet was a lifesaver for me. May not work for everyone but I have nothing bad to say about it. I kept my carbs low for the first month but after that I added some new carbs in, no sugars if at all possible. I'd say I'm about 50 carbs a day now. I consistently lose about 2 lbs. a week although I wish it would be a little more per week, I need to be thankful for the 2 though.
I've seen many videos recently saying it is more about a calorie deficit than watching carbs/proteins/fat intake, is that true? I did experiment one day though, my calorie deficit intake was to be 2000 and I ate that and lost 2 lbs however it was a high carb day that day(cheat meal basically shame on me), however that week prior to the carb day I was very good on low carbs and didn't lose a pound then I go and did a high carb day and lose 2 lbs. I couldn't understand why that happened. You would have thought that the low carb week would have helped me lose that week. So is it really just calories I should be paying attention to and meet my calorie deficit each day without monitoring carbs/proteins/fat?
Fwiw since you asked, I steadily lost each week eating moderate carbs protein and fat. Basically my dinner plate had a carb, a heaping cup or more of veggies and a meat serving (4-5 oz). At the end of the day, I lost weight because I kept my caloric intake within my weight loss range. In addition I exercised four days per week, allowing me to burn more calories and go off the rails a day or two. People lose weight because of the calorie deficit. A guy, for research purposes, lost weight eating nothing but twinkies. A garbage diet if there ever was one but he still lost weight and his numbers correspondingly went down. You have to do whatever works and you can do in the long term.

ETA - my husband is also losing weight and he is learning the art of portion control. frankly he ate too much in the past. he wasn't much of a sugar/dessert eater and naturally eats more protein and fat. He's a Texan, after all. He likes meat. He gained weight because he overate but he's losing it now because he watches what he eats -- i.e. smaller portions of food and watching how much total calories he's eating in a day. He uses fitness apps to get a general idea of how much he's eating..however, over time you'll find that you don't need to record. You'll innately get a sense of how much you're eating...

I also wholeheartedly support weekly cheat meals for the simple reason of sanity. For me, I had a choice. I either gave in to "temptation" once a week and then be done with it, or obsess about things or needlessly beat myself up for "lack of willpower" when I binged. I have never binged once in the entire 9 months I was losing weight. When I go off the rails, it is deliberate and I make room in my weekly intake to accommodate these days that I go off.

Last edited by riaelise; 03-02-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 08:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Two pounds a week is a healthy amount to lose. No need for it to be more. Slow and steady wins the race.
It all comes down to calories regardless if they are carbs or protein. Protein tends to be more satiating and that is why low carb diets are so popular. You just need to find what works for you in the long term.
Seems like what you are doing is working. Remember weight loss is not linear, you can lose 2 pounds one week, none the next and gain a pound another. As long as you are averaging 2 pounds a week its all good.

Are you exercising? Exercise with a calorie deficit will allow you to lose more weight and it will make you feel great and really help with self esteem.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Hi Luckyd609, I am exercising 30-42 minutes about 4 days a week. I guess I am hoping to become more shredded faster but need to learn to wait. I think I have about 23 lbs more to go and that might become reality.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Hi Luckyd609, I am exercising 30-42 minutes about 4 days a week. I guess I am hoping to become more shredded faster but need to learn to wait. I think I have about 23 lbs more to go and that might become reality.
No such thing as getting in shape fast. It takes time. What kind of exercising are you doing? Ideally it will be some cardio and then a good dose of resistance/weight training. And remember to push yourself, even a little bit, every time you exercise. Get that heart rate up.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
You are not going to get "shredded" fast. Good, longlasting results are never "fast". Also, if you want to be shredded you're going to have to do strength training regularly, as well as cardio to assist with fat burning. I started seeing definition in my arms and chest within a month of solid training but didn't start to be more ripped until the body fat went down. As with any craft you have to be dedicated.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 AM

I've mixed it up with BeachBody's Body Beast workout as well as the Spartacus Workout by Men's Health, I feel these two are the best I've found that work well for me. While Body Beast is mostly weights, the Spartacus Workout is cardio/weights combined(and quite the butt kicker workout too)!
But both of these I have started within the last two weeks.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I get it - its like budgeting your nutrients (re the fruit).

I think also you avoid fruit and other high-sugar foods because you want your body to use fat as fuel, not sugar as fuel? is that the idea?

I do want to do the low carb. I am motivated to do that, amazingly because i am a sugar addict. I mean literally where certain food when eaten makes me feel relaxed, like a tranquilizer! you can actually feel the calmness set in after eating certain foods. but now i am determined to do this.
Weight loss and controlling your pre-diabetes are not necessarily one and the same. As for the stopping the onset of diabetes your best course of action would be to keep your BG as low as possible and let the body recover. Fruit would be OK if your number wouldn't go too high. Stay away from certain kinds of fruit. Pineapple, grapes, mangoes etc., berries are the best. Since you are not on any medication I assume then it would depend on how your own metabolism deals with foods that have a high(er) sugar content.

Of course if you want to lose weight and burn fat, it would be best to avoid any foods that may interfere with that process.

You could kill two birds with one stone so to speak and do both which I think is what you want?

Old 03-02-2017, 12:56 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
I am a follower of a ketogenic lifestyle. It works for me. If you want to burn fat, don't poke in the carbs as that is what you body will burn instead of existing fat stores.

There are lots of good videos on-line that explains the science behind this way of life.

I find people basically want to have their, uh, cake and eat it too. It's too much for some people to imagine life without bread, fruit, pie, cake, candy, potatoes, etc. even if they heal themselves of diabetes and obesity.

I was 300 pounds 34 years ago and am at 175 now. It is a constant battle and it is not easy, but I will never be 300 pounds again, ever. And I am 5 foot 9 inches tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss