Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Foods are different but calories are the same. It is the law of thermodynamics. You must burn more than you take in. You cannot go over a certain amount of calories and still expect to lose weight, no matter where the calories come from.
Obviously one should consume the type of calories that are from healthy foods. The science stays the same.
None of the websites you posted are viable. They are biased sites trying to sell you something, namely the low carb diets and the products that go with.
Next time you want to use a source it needs to be a peer reviewed study, not some low carb diatribe.
Really? So 500 calories of broccoli is the same as 500 calories of pasta, pizza or ice cream? Sure whatever. I don't need a study to tell me the answer to that one. Why don't you post a viable website to contradict my point?

Last edited by gguerra; 03-17-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:27 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Really? So 500 calories of broccoli is the same as 500 calories of pasta, pizza or ice cream? Sure whatever. I don't need a study to tell me the answer to that one. Why don't you post a viable website to contradict my point?

500 calories is 500 calories. Will 500 calories of broccoli make you feel full? No. Not at all. Its important to make your calories count with foods that are nutrient dense, satiating, and fiber filled. Eating simple carbs and sugary foods is not the best way to eat. I think pretty much everyone knows that.
But to allude to the fact that you can eat more calories as long as they are from low carb foods and still lose weight is nonsense.
You are the one who furnished websites that actually sold products to people who followed their diet plan. Not exactly unbiased.
Look, eat the way you want. Do whatever works for you - just do not back up your claims with junk science.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Quote:
[/b]500 calories is 500 calories. Will 500 calories of broccoli make you feel full? No. Not at all.[/b]Its important to make your calories count with foods that are nutrient dense, satiating, and fiber filled. Eating simple carbs and sugary foods is not the best way to eat. I think pretty much everyone knows that.
But to allude to the fact that you can eat more calories as long as they are from low carb foods and still lose weight is nonsense.
You are the one who furnished websites that actually sold products to people who followed their diet plan. Not exactly unbiased.
Look, eat the way you want. Do whatever works for you - just do not back up your claims with junk science.
Hmm, you'd have to eat a good 16 or 17 cups of broccoli to consume 500 calories. You'd be stuffed to gills eating only half that much.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Hmm, you'd have to eat a good 16 or 17 cups of broccoli to consume 500 calories. You'd be stuffed to gills eating only half that much.
Wouldn't be satiating though. You might be stuffed but it wouldn't last. And, what would be the point?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
500 calories is 500 calories. Will 500 calories of broccoli make you feel full? No. Not at all. Its important to make your calories count with foods that are nutrient dense, satiating, and fiber filled. Eating simple carbs and sugary foods is not the best way to eat. I think pretty much everyone knows that.

Hi - I agree that people should also not go above the amount of calories that will raise their weight.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Sorry, you have to be exaggerating. 15 pounds is 15 pounds. 30 is 30. You don't all of a sudden seem more lean using one diet vs. another.

I'm glad things are working well for you, but honestly...if eating low carb/keto is the way to rapid fat loss (obese to a size 6) then just about everyone and their uncle would sign up and the obesity epidemic in this country would be solved. People are always looking for the secret to rapid fat loss.

I really wish folks would stop pitting one diet against another. "Low fat" diets also work for many people. I lost weight using a more moderate approach. I actually can't stomach lots of fat/oil. I'd have very unpleasant side effects and that just isn't worth it to me.

yeah I cant explain it why people are noticing it sooner than when I was doing low fat. its not a scientific thing, it just one of those strange things I am noticing.

As for me, my most critical reason I am doing this is to lower my sugars so I don't get to diabetes. 2nd, lose weight so that I can walk and not be a crippled person.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is essentially false and people have to open their minds to something other than the same old calorie in calorie out theory. A calorie IS NOT a calorie. There are other factors at play with the main factor being insulin (a hormone) and it is directly tied to blood sugar as you mention. Insulin is a consideration NOT just for diabetics. The body's way of regulating blood sugar is insulin. Fat is neutral as far as insulin is concerned. It does not raise your blood sugar and therefore does not trigger an insulin response. Many types of carbs do raise your BG and so does protein to a lesser degree. You will not gain any weight from eating a lot of protein but you sure will not lose any either, regardless of the calories.

Yes, a Low-Carb Diet Greatly Lowers Your Insulin

Dr. Hyman: Why Calories Don’t Matter

Debunking the Calorie Myth

Calorie deficit type diets are prone to failure simply because you are starving yourself and your body will want nothing more than more food when you stop the diet. You will constantly feel hungry and unhappy, not satisfied.

I believe the thing to do is - be aware of your body's true hunger pangs, and thirst pangs, and eat mindfully, stopping when satisfied. and not abusing food for comfort, as a best friend, loneliness, a substitute for a person, loss, protection from trauma, protection from a person harming you so you get fat to protect yourself, food as anything but fuel. make that a goal and that is a big step toward success. and no, I do not think I should eat low carb 3,200 calories a day, as that will not be good.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I have been on a combined gluten free and modified paleo diet for years now. Most carbohydrates, especially those derived from modern wheat are certainly appetite stimulants. One can make the argument of "calories in, calories out", but most people know the difference regarding how they feel long-term after consuming different types of foods, getting rid of certain items, etc. The biggest difference for myself is that I no longer feel the hungry, starving effect between meals at all- now that I no longer consume any wheat. Therefore, I can go long periods of time 3/4 to 1 day with maybe one large meal and feel perfectly satiated, and not feel like snacking much. The odd thing, however, is that I no longer feel very full either- even after eating large amounts of food. So, I have to make mental notes of how much I'm eating at times. The overall boost in quality of life is unquestionable, however.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
As far as your weight loss,was that cutting calories too? Or just carbs but eating more or the same amount of calories?
I haven't counted calories, but I have been eating large portions. For breakfast, I had an egg scramble with 1/2 pound of chorizo, 3 eggs, and 1/2 an avocado.

For lunch, a large portion of pork loin I cooked in the slow cooker with onions and green peppers. Portion about a pound, I'd guess? A bit bigger than a baseball.

Did the same yesterday, and had a vodka lime juice drink last night, pork rinds with sour cream and celery with cream cheese.

And when I got up this morning the scale said I lost 2 pounds since yesterday! Scale isn't the greatest, but the weight is really coming off.

The calories are probably the same. I had been eating pretty low calorie for breakfast and lunch, but totally blowing it at night with huge portions of pasta, cocktail, snacks like popcorn (the cheddar cheese kind lol), and some chocolate or a toast with jam for dessert.

But, even if I'm eating less calories, I'm not hungry. I've been skipping lunch because I'm just not hungry. I did eat lunch today, but yesterday I didn't.

If it turns out to just be the calories, then this is working for me because I'm not hungry. And I still get to have my cocktail and munch while watching a movie. It's just easier than changing all of my bad habits at once.

I do crave fruit, which I normally don't do. Eating the cream cheese with celery helped that craving last night. Might need to get some sugar free hard candy, or something, though, that is fruit flavored.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I haven't counted calories, but I have been eating large portions. For breakfast, I had an egg scramble with 1/2 pound of chorizo, 3 eggs, and 1/2 an avocado.

For lunch, a large portion of pork loin I cooked in the slow cooker with onions and green peppers. Portion about a pound, I'd guess? A bit bigger than a baseball.

Did the same yesterday, and had a vodka lime juice drink last night, pork rinds with sour cream and celery with cream cheese.

And when I got up this morning the scale said I lost 2 pounds since yesterday! Scale isn't the greatest, but the weight is really coming off.

The calories are probably the same. I had been eating pretty low calorie for breakfast and lunch, but totally blowing it at night with huge portions of pasta, cocktail, snacks like popcorn (the cheddar cheese kind lol), and some chocolate or a toast with jam for dessert.

But, even if I'm eating less calories, I'm not hungry. I've been skipping lunch because I'm just not hungry. I did eat lunch today, but yesterday I didn't.

If it turns out to just be the calories, then this is working for me because I'm not hungry. And I still get to have my cocktail and munch while watching a movie. It's just easier than changing all of my bad habits at once.

I do crave fruit, which I normally don't do. Eating the cream cheese with celery helped that craving last night. Might need to get some sugar free hard candy, or something, though, that is fruit flavored.
Ugh I'd be chained to a toilet if I ate all of that. No thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss