Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Some people like (pre)diabetics can't live WITH extra carbs or sugar and really have no choice but to go on this type of diet/lifestyle. Regardless of how we got this condition, we have to live with it.

If your body can correctly process sugar than more power to you.
As I've stated before, I've had diabetes during pregnancy, so I am familiar with the condition. You're right, you have to monitor carb intake. But it doesn't mean that you have to go low carb. I ate carbs in controlled, specific amounts and always with a protein to balance things out. And just because I said that I can't live without sugar and carbs, it doesn't mean that overindulge in either. I try not to overdo anything. Instead, I practice portion control - 1 cup of pasta, 1 cup of rice, 1/2 cup of legumes, more leafy veggies, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - yes, Im in week 1 of this and today i was at about 20 carbs about 2:00, i started feeling light headed, so i ate a pack of hot cereal, and that made me feel better. i dont think i want to go totally keto if it will make me feel sick from it.. so i think i might feel more manageable at about 50, i think i will still lose weight, i hope.

IOW, if i eat 50 carbs and feel good, and lose 3 pounds a week, i'd rather do that than lose 4 pounds a week and get dizzy.

By the way, since i changed my diet and/or lost 10 pounds, all week i have not been feeling my knee stiffen up, i used to have that every time i'd get up from my desk, this week i notice it has gone. wonder if milk was causing this or maybe water, but my knees would feel like a tight band of elastic was wound around it. do you all know what causes swelling in the knee from food or diet. i cant beleive that 10 pounds loss would change that so dramatically.
KETO flu. Google it. It will pass.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Quote:
Some people like (pre)diabetics can't live WITH extra carbs or sugar and really have no choice but to go on this type of diet/lifestyle. Regardless of how we got this condition, we have to live with it.

If your body can correctly process sugar than more power to you.

Ok, my doc said I could go on a low carb diet, he said 50 would be right. I also have to lose weight. that is the basis for my eating plan going forward.. the more carbs I eat, the more sugar will be burned for fuel, not fat.

therefore, it makes sense for me to limit my carbs to 50.

Later, when I lose the weight and get my numbers down, if I want, I can SLOWLY add back in some carbs like fruit each day and then test my sugar numbers to see how that affects my sugars and I will see how it affects my weight loss or if I gain.

that seems to be the whole idea of this. Correct me if I am wrong, those of you who do the low carb.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Ok, my doc said I could go on a low carb diet, he said 50 would be right. I also have to lose weight. that is the basis for my eating plan going forward.. the more carbs I eat, the more sugar will be burned for fuel, not fat.

therefore, it makes sense for me to limit my carbs to 50.

Later, when I lose the weight and get my numbers down, if I want, I can SLOWLY add back in some carbs like fruit each day and then test my sugar numbers to see how that affects my sugars and I will see how it affects my weight loss or if I gain.

that seems to be the whole idea of this. Correct me if I am wrong, those of you who do the low carb.
The question is, how will you test your sugar numbers? Will you leave it to chance so to speak and wait to go to the doctor to have your A1C test or will you test with a meter after certain meals. The meter will tell you right away, the A1C is a 90 day average of your blood sugar. Both are important and I understand you are pre diabetic, but I prefer to know right away.

I have found that my A1C is pretty close to my fasting blood sugar. Currently it is at 5.1 which is about a 100 which is actually quite good for a full diabetic. This I do with medication and a low carb diet. The ADA which I don't always agree with, states you should have an A1C under 6 which is 126.

Rest assured that is you start to add a lot of certain kinds of carbs, your numbers will go up. Portion control is the key.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
I haven't read through everything on here but could some tell me what LCHF means? Is it low carb, high fat?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I haven't read through everything on here but
could some tell me what LCHF means? Is it low carb, high fat?
Yup.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:11 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yup.

thanks!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:34 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
Quote:
True about finding the way to eat the rest of your life. Since I know how to budget what I will eat during the day, it's fun finding new things. Yesterday I cooked totally homemade dinner which you would have loved it was so delicious. I am finding new foods that were just ok before, ok the dinner was Greek skirt steak and fresh steamed spinach and it was so good!

who knows if I get my sugars down to where they should be, maybe I can include a few more things. but when that time comes, I will see, and adjust if I can. However, I AM going to enjoy my yearly trip to Michigan to get the best fruit in the world! if you had it, you would know why I say that.. If you can get yourself to Michigan, I recommend the fruit as it comes ready this summer. You wont ever enjoy any local fruit again.

BTW, not able to exercise yet. Will have to work on that next.
Steak and spinach is a perfect Keto dinner. Be sure to but a nice slab of garlic butter on that steak.

After a few weeks on a keto diet, you lose your sugar cravings including cravings for fruits.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The question is, how will you test your sugar numbers? Will you leave it to chance so to speak and wait to go to the doctor to have your A1C test or will you test with a meter after certain meals. The meter will tell you right away, the A1C is a 90 day average of your blood sugar. Both are important and I understand you are pre diabetic, but I prefer to know right away.

I have found that my A1C is pretty close to my fasting blood sugar. Currently it is at 5.1 which is about a 100 which is actually quite good for a full diabetic. This I do with medication and a low carb diet. The ADA which I don't always agree with, states you should have an A1C under 6 which is 126.

Rest assured that is you start to add a lot of certain kinds of carbs, your numbers will go up. Portion control is the key.
I am planning to go back to the doc in a few months to test it. however, i see him on the 16th so i will have him stick my finger to see how i progressed this month.

So far so good in how im doing. and im not starving. and im not eating weird food.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Steak and spinach is a perfect Keto dinner. Be sure to but a nice slab of garlic butter on that steak.

After a few weeks on a keto diet, you lose your sugar cravings including cravings for fruits.
Seeing fresh fruit and craving it seems to be the only thing bugging me. but i hear i can eat some berries occasionally, so maybe i will do that shortly to see how it affects me.

funny, the desserts are not bugging me.. it just looks blah to me.. but that fresh pineapple staring at me in the store almost kidnapped me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss