Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:02 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the chicken recipes! I've never bought pork rinds, will give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:16 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think weight loss also is determined by a person's age, etc., though. When I was young, I could easily drop a bunch of weight with just the slightest effort. Now, at 61 post-menopause, it's really hard to lose 1 pound a week. So, on this keto diet, losing an average of 1.5 pounds per week is amazing, considering that I'm full and satisfied. And I'm still having my evening wine or cocktail :-)

But, I can bet that if you took someone my same height, weight, exercise level who was younger and pre-menopause vs me, eating the same stuff, there would be very different results. I guess I'm just saying that the fact that the OP is losing a lot, doesn't mean they're doing anything unhealthy.
It wasn't my intention to imply that she was losing weight unhealthily and I definitely agree with you on the age thing. I lost the weight in my 40s and it was hard as hell vs. my younger years, when I could get away with less exercise and whatnot. My point was that losing 1-2 pounds per week is the average and shouldn't be prefaced by the word "only". You have way too many people thinking that if they don't lose a lot each week that the diet is a failure/doesn't work when that is not the case. It's not how long it takes to win the race, it's winning the race and that goes for keto or any other weight loss regimen. I "only" lost a pound a week on average, probably due to age moreso than diet, but even slow and steady netted me the results I wanted and I'm frankly happy that the results are sustainable. I'm in the best shape of my life these days, in my 40s even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Yeah true, i suppose i was thinking out loud, i go look at my old stats and was thinking about how one worked for me vs another.. I do believe this - we all have to find a way that works for us for a lifetime. That is the diet we should go on.
But they both worked. And that's my point, one isn't better than the other. As I mentioned above, it's not about how fast you get to the finish line, it's getting to the finish line period. 1-2 pounds per week is a good amount of weight to lose. Not everyone on keto will lose X pants sizes in a handful of weeks, so for people new to keto thinking they're gonna lose five pounds in a week, it may not happen. I agree with NoMoreSnow in that age and genetics also plays a role in weight loss. 1-2 pounds per week is totally acceptable. Weight Watchers worked, as most diets do if you follow them to a T and reduce caloric intake. I'm glad keto is working for you and the others here, seriously.

But it's not for me and never will be.

FWIW, I hope yall are also exercising, especially given that we're middle aged or older. That's just as important as the diet, IMHO. I attribute my body to exercise. Sure, watching what I eat plays a major role, but when it comes to body composition and overall fitness? If I didn't work out, I'd only be doing half the equation.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It wasn't my intention to imply that she was losing weight unhealthily and I definitely agree with you on the age thing. I lost the weight in my 40s and it was hard as hell vs. my younger years, when I could get away with less exercise and whatnot. My point was that losing 1-2 pounds per week is the average and shouldn't be prefaced by the word "only". You have way too many people thinking that if they don't lose a lot each week that the diet is a failure/doesn't work when that is not the case. It's not how long it takes to win the race, it's winning the race and that goes for keto or any other weight loss regimen. I "only" lost a pound a week on average, probably due to age moreso than diet, but even slow and steady netted me the results I wanted and I'm frankly happy that the results are sustainable. I'm in the best shape of my life these days, in my 40s even.

But they both worked. And that's my point, one isn't better than the other. As I mentioned above, it's not about how fast you get to the finish line, it's getting to the finish line period. 1-2 pounds per week is a good amount of weight to lose. Not everyone on keto will lose X pants sizes in a handful of weeks, so for people new to keto thinking they're gonna lose five pounds in a week, it may not happen. I agree with NoMoreSnow in that age and genetics also plays a role in weight loss. 1-2 pounds per week is totally acceptable. Weight Watchers worked, as most diets do if you follow them to a T and reduce caloric intake. I'm glad keto is working for you and the others here, seriously.

But it's not for me and never will be.

FWIW, I hope yall are also exercising, especially given that we're middle aged or older. That's just as important as the diet, IMHO. I attribute my body to exercise. Sure, watching what I eat plays a major role, but when it comes to body composition and overall fitness? If I didn't work out, I'd only be doing half the equation.
Great post.

I went to my doctor today. Last time I'd been in was end of June last year. Since that visit, I've lost 18 pounds - about 5 of those from just this last month. But, the interesting thing was - on the topic of slow and steady wins the race - I was unaware that I'd lost that weight until just before I began the keto diet first week of March.

The battery had died in my bathroom scale, so hadn't weighed myself. But, I had chosen one thing to change that I thought would be easy and that was a lower calorie breakfast. I didn't change any of my other bad habits including overeating like crazy. I just had one soft boiled egg with a little butter on a toast. Most of the time on whole grain, but not always because I love sourdough!

Anyway, turned out I was losing about 1.5 pounds a month. Doesn't sound like much, but it added up over 9 months to about 14 pounds that I took off and kept off. I didnt' realize it, because I'm that overweight.

My blood tests were better, too, just changing to more whole grains, healthier foods, more "clean" foods, etc.

She is totally on board with me trying this keto diet and not changing any meds, so we can see if the diet improves the numbers alone even more.

So, just agreeing that you can make even small changes, and if it's something you can stick with, eventually the weight will come off.

For me to get to a size 12, which I'd be fine with, I need to lose another 40 pounds. If I can continue to lose 1.5 pounds a week, I could be a size 12 for Christmas. That would be sweet!

Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Great post.

I went to my doctor today. Last time I'd been in was end of June last year. Since that visit, I've lost 18 pounds - about 5 of those from just this last month. But, the interesting thing was - on the topic of slow and steady wins the race - I was unaware that I'd lost that weight until just before I began the keto diet first week of March.

The battery had died in my bathroom scale, so hadn't weighed myself. But, I had chosen one thing to change that I thought would be easy and that was a lower calorie breakfast. I didn't change any of my other bad habits including overeating like crazy. I just had one soft boiled egg with a little butter on a toast. Most of the time on whole grain, but not always because I love sourdough!

Anyway, turned out I was losing about 1.5 pounds a month. Doesn't sound like much, but it added up over 9 months to about 14 pounds that I took off and kept off. I didnt' realize it, because I'm that overweight.

My blood tests were better, too, just changing to more whole grains, healthier foods, more "clean" foods, etc.

She is totally on board with me trying this keto diet and not changing any meds, so we can see if the diet improves the numbers alone even more.

So, just agreeing that you can make even small changes, and if it's something you can stick with, eventually the weight will come off.

For me to get to a size 12, which I'd be fine with, I need to lose another 40 pounds. If I can continue to lose 1.5 pounds a week, I could be a size 12 for Christmas. That would be sweet!
You can do it! I was 60 lbs overweight and out of shape. Developed HBP. I didn't think I could ever get those pounds off after two pregnancies and too little time. I was a shell of my former self physically and it bothered me after awhile. I wasn't getting any younger, and it was going to get harder.

My journey started with the little things. For example, deciding to eat a little less each day. Joining the gym (started off doing one thirty minute day). I figured, I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I fully expected to fail, because I tried time and time again (that is why I am so anti-"diet") but at the same time, I stuck to it. Kept it up. At first the scale didn't move. I failed the gym fitness test. Got winded pretty easily. But somehow I still kept at it, watched my portions, found an activity I enjoyed (weight training). And then, the transformation started to happen. Slowly but surely I watched myself change - from size 18, to 16, then 14, then 12, and now I'm a size 8/10. It took probably 9-10 months, but I got it off and it's stayed off. The best compliment I've ever received are people surprised that I was sixty pounds overweight not too long ago.

Good luck to you. Never give up.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You can do it! I was 60 lbs overweight and out of shape. Developed HBP. I didn't think I could ever get those pounds off after two pregnancies and too little time. I was a shell of my former self physically and it bothered me after awhile. I wasn't getting any younger, and it was going to get harder.

My journey started with the little things. For example, deciding to eat a little less each day. Joining the gym (started off doing one thirty minute day). I figured, I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I fully expected to fail, because I tried time and time again (that is why I am so anti-"diet") but at the same time, I stuck to it. Kept it up. At first the scale didn't move. I failed the gym fitness test. Got winded pretty easily. But somehow I still kept at it, watched my portions, found an activity I enjoyed (weight training). And then, the transformation started to happen. Slowly but surely I watched myself change - from size 18, to 16, then 14, then 12, and now I'm a size 8/10. It took probably 9-10 months, but I got it off and it's stayed off. The best compliment I've ever received are people surprised that I was sixty pounds overweight not too long ago.

Good luck to you. Never give up.
You're my hero! Very inspiring. Thank you!

Old 04-04-2017, 05:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Its great that we found a way to get to better health. When we see the changes then that brownie and pie does not seem like so much enjoyment after all. I'm looking forward to being able to walk more than 10 minutes without having to sit down. So happy to hear ya'll's wonderful news!!!

Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
that happened to me lately, beginning last week.. I get hunger pangs, but I don't have any appetite. don't even feeling like bothering cooking or anything. is that what it is? I don't even really have any cravings that I can think of except when I see a tv commercial for something very delicious.

so what is causing that?

You've finally normalized your blood sugar.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You've finally normalized your blood sugar.
Whoa! Thank you for that encouragement!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM

106 posts, read 122,375 times
I tried the keto diet for a month around two years ago and it was absolute torture. After this experience, I can say that it really isn't for everyone. I think body chemistry and genetics might be a factor in how a person's body will react, though I have no sources or anything to prove this.

While I was on the keto diet, I endured constant fatigue and food cravings, more so than any other diet I have experienced. I also had bouts of nausea and towards the end of the month, I began randomly smelling rotten eggs. It was the oddest thing I have ever experienced. I would just be sitting at home, in class, or at work and out of nowhere the strong odor would hit my nostrils and nobody else around me could smell it. I switched back to a regular diet and these symptoms all went away rather fast.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
I tried the keto diet for a month around two years ago and it was absolute torture. After this experience, I can say that it really isn't for everyone. I think body chemistry and genetics might be a factor in how a person's body will react, though I have no sources or anything to prove this.

While I was on the keto diet, I endured constant fatigue and food cravings, more so than any other diet I have experienced. I also had bouts of nausea and towards the end of the month, I began randomly smelling rotten eggs. It was the oddest thing I have ever experienced. I would just be sitting at home, in class, or at work and out of nowhere the strong odor would hit my nostrils and nobody else around me could smell it. I switched back to a regular diet and these symptoms all went away rather fast.

You were not on a keto diet with those symptoms. What the heck do you have? Low carb does not mean you can eat tires. Sounds bad even for an Atkins nub. If you had cravings without carbs then you were eating protein way too much. Lean protein will cause insulin response especially without fat.Any excess protein is just turned to sugar. You want fatty protein. You probably had a bunch of protein , , converted it into sugar ,had a rush of insulin and then soaked yourself in uric acid. Oops. If you've done this again just now, eat a lemon or have apple cider vinegar if you don't want gout.

And since people don't eat the organ meats, you'll want fresh greens and herbs with fatty proteins.

The food pyramid on a keto diet starts with a pile of vegetables. Its salad, cauliflower , kale , spinach, wheat grass etc. You want 10 cups. You also want salt. Home made sour kraut will end keto flu. Most people don't have enough electrolytes when they deplete their glycogen stores.

Think of the vegetable first, and the fat second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss