Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 07:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is my understanding that ketosis occurs when the body has NO carbs to burn, so will only burn fat. Once you consume a carbohydrate, you have stopped burning fat, until the body has run out of carbs again. In other words, you have set yourself back for the day.
I do it for weight loss, but a diabetic or someone with high cholesterol might approach it differently.
It would be very hard to sustain this state for ever, nor would it probably be very healthy. I had to add root vegetables for variety, but I still never eat fruit or juices.

It is true that on a LCHF diet, fruit is just not part of it. We have been sold a bill of goods about fruit. It's one of the worst foods a low carb eater can eat. When I want to go crazy, it means, like about 10 blueberries once a week.
Yes, i believe in about a year when i have lost most of my weight, i can begin to add some fruit and see if that will make me gain or what. if i lose all my weight, i will just have to maintain, and it will be then i will see. however, i believe after 3 months or so, which is this summer, i will try a fruit to see how it affects me.

Low carb is good for those who are pre-diabetic.

We still get carbs from vegetables and some other foods like cheese and nuts.

I dont know how long i can sustain it, but i want to see. I predict i will go the whole way. I mean, the future is not yet written, it can be anything i choose to be with eating.

some of the posters who do more exercise might be able to eat more carbs than someone not working out so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You keep saying that, but no one is else is. We all know this as well.

Eating high carb is a choice, not a necessity. Protein and fat are necessities. The thread is titled "Keto vs Low Carb". The OP was simply giving her opinion which is still ON TOPIC and she's entirely within her rights to give it.

You don't go out of your way to consume fat, but I think it's a little ironic that if you eat more carbohydrates than you can keep in your glycogen storage, they are converted to fat. I don't know your activity level or body type, but it is a possibility and does happen to many people. Consuming fat without carbs does not make you fat, yet (a lot of) carbs without fat does and combining the two is the worst.
If you eat anything over what your body needs, it will be converted to fat. I admit I am pretty active and I eat right most of the time so I don't really worry about fat storage. Sorry, I still don't buy that carbs with or without fat makes you fat. Being sedentary and overeating makes you fat. I will give you that overconsumption of carbs causes water retention (which isn't fat gain) but that's about it. Please explain how I lost over 30% of my body weight while consuming moderate amounts of carbs. I'll tell you how...caloric deficit. I simply ate less.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 AM

712 posts, read 554,727 times
Hello,
I haven't read all the posts but decided to share my story.

Atkins saved my life. Seriously and I am not joking. For 32 years I thought I was was bulimic and tried every diet on the planet and to lose one pound I would have to starve myself to 500 calories a day or puke all my food. But I never binged as they say bulimia is so I deceived myself thinking all was ok but to try and lose weight or not gain it back I had to rid myself of anything I ate. I found out a couple of years ago, that what I had was a purging disorder. I am very short only 4'10 and to eat like a normal person I would gain so fast it wasn't funny as I had destroyed my metabolism.

Thirteen years ago on April 15, 2004, I thought about going on Atkins as I wanted to lose weight fast. I got the book and began to read it. (The single most important thing before beginning any low carb program) Wow this made more sense than anything I have ever read. I realized that this couldn't be just a diet to lose weight for me but I had to change my way of eating for life.

This took very little time to lose it too to my surprise. Yes right at first you do have goofy breath but it's ketosis where your body is actually burning the fat up. You lose fat on this way of eating more than muscle like you do when you starve yourself. If your a diabetic please know that ketosis is not the same thing as ketoacidosis. Ketosis is fat burning mode, ketoacidosis is dangerous

I have never eaten so healthy in my life or felt so wonderful. I have never made myself vomit once or felt the need too since beginning this journey. Keto is very similar to Atkins as Atkins also is 20 grams for 2 weeks then you can slowly add back in carbs but I never did. I still try to stay within 20 grams a day.

To me if there could be a perfect way of eating this is it. But you have to decide before beginning this that those high carb’s aren't worth it. If you approach this as you’re depriving yourself you will never stick with it. It's all about substitutions. I personally have over the years found that I just do not want to eat that high carb food and if I do want something carby.... like I said it is all about substitutions cause I pretty much can faux anything I have a desire for.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If you eat anything over what your body needs, it will be converted to fat. I admit I am pretty active and I eat right most of the time so I don't really worry about fat storage. Sorry, I still don't buy that carbs with or without fat makes you fat. Being sedentary and overeating makes you fat. I will give you that overconsumption of carbs causes water retention (which isn't fat gain) but that's about it. Please explain how I lost over 30% of my body weight while consuming moderate amounts of carbs. I'll tell you how...caloric deficit. I simply ate less.
You are forgetting one HUGE reason we go on low carb - to turn around the pre-diabetes. THAT is #1. (for me)

Anitak1982 - yes that is also true for many of us. I so agree that we dont feel deprived one bit and can find a way to eat many things that wont put us over the limit - like crustless pizza.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You made a big change in the amount of food you ate and lost the weight. That's great, it worked for you this time. I hope it stays off, really! Sounds like this is your first time losing weight, so I am wishing the best for you.

But, some of us were never eating 3000 calories a day and couldn't simply cut calories like you did. Some of us were already active and still couldn't lose weight. Some are being recommended to eat keto/low carb by their doctors.

We're finding success by changing which foods we eat. We've changed from sugar burners to fat burners.

We're all just trying to be healthier.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:56 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Hello,

Atkins saved my life. Seriously and I am not joking. For 32 years I thought I was was bulimic and tried every diet on the planet and to lose one pound I would have to starve myself to 500 calories a day or puke all my food. I had destroyed my metabolism.

Thirteen years ago on April 15, 2004, I thought about going on Atkins

I have never eaten so healthy in my life or felt so wonderful.
That's great!!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM

20,711 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
Hello,

Atkins saved my life. Seriously and I am not joking. For 32 years I thought I was was bulimic and tried every diet on the planet and to lose one pound I would have to starve myself to 500 calories a day or puke all my food. But I never binged as they say bulimia is so I deceived myself thinking all was ok but to try and lose weight or not gain it back I had to rid myself of anything I ate. I found out a couple of years ago, that what I had was a purging disorder. I am very short only 4'10 and to eat like a normal person I would gain so fast it wasn't funny as I had destroyed my metabolism.

Thirteen years ago on April 15, 2004, I thought about going on Atkins as I wanted to lose weight fast. I got the book and began to read it. (The single most important thing before beginning any low carb program) Wow this made more sense than anything I have ever read. I realized that this couldn't be just a diet to lose weight for me but I had to change my way of eating for life.

This took very little time to lose it too to my surprise. Yes right at first you do have goofy breath but it's ketosis where your body is actually burning the fat up. You lose fat on this way of eating more than muscle like you do when you starve yourself. If your a diabetic please know that ketosis is not the same thing as ketoacidosis. Ketosis is fat burning mode, ketoacidosis is dangerous

I have never eaten so healthy in my life or felt so wonderful. I have never made myself vomit once or felt the need too since beginning this journey. Keto is very similar to Atkins as Atkins also is 20 grams for 2 weeks then you can slowly add back in carbs but I never did. I still try to stay within 20 grams a day.

To me if there could be a perfect way of eating this is it. But you have to decide before beginning this that those high carb’s aren't worth it. If you approach this as you’re depriving yourself you will never stick with it. It's all about substitutions. I personally have over the years found that I just do not want to eat that high carb food and if I do want something carby.... like I said it is all about substitutions cause I pretty much can faux anything I have a desire for.
Nice story, and yet compete the opposite of some low fat or vegan outcomes that were also successful.

Nothing is more infintile than to lump ketoacidosis with ketosis because of the homophonic natures of the term. Its like comparing normal blood sugar to hyperglycemia. Its not unlike the body prefers to burn sugar, therefore its best argument. Alcohol is preferred over sugar thus alcohol is the ideal by that standard.

The one point to make though is Atkins can be a little high on the protein. Does it promote more vegetables these days?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You made a big change in the amount of food you ate and lost the weight. That's great, it worked for you this time. I hope it stays off, really! Sounds like this is your first time losing weight, so I am wishing the best for you.

But, some of us were never eating 3000 calories a day and couldn't simply cut calories like you did. Some of us were already active and still couldn't lose weight. Some are being recommended to eat keto/low carb by their doctors.

We're finding success by changing which foods we eat. We've changed from sugar burners to fat burners.

We're all just trying to be healthier.
Actually no, this isn't my first time losing weight. It's the first time I allowed myself to gain so much weight, yes. I was thin for much of my life until I was pregnant with my first child. I fell into the classic trap of "eating for two" and not practicing restraint when it came to eating, so it was no surprise that I gained a lot of weight. I didn't exercise or make any truly concerted effort to lose the weight. Instead, I worse than before - lots of eating out. Four years after the birth of my daughter, I managed to finally lose the forty pounds that I had gained in total (this is counting pregnancy and additional weight gain) but then became pregnant with my second. I gained over fifty pounds with that pregnancy. And of course, there was additional weight gain thereafter. I found myself staring at what seemed insurmountable - sixty extra pounds and even older.

So yeah, I am a veteran of weight gain and loss and diets. Like many of you, I was burnt out and tired of being on the weight gain/loss carousel. Tired of diets. I vowed I would never touch a "diet" again. My weight loss journey started by simply deciding to make changes with my diet one day at a time. I joined a gym. I trained my body to go back to eating smaller portions. At the end of the day, it IS all about cutting calories.

I understand that the struggle is real because I've been through it. I just don't agree with blanket assertions that one style of eating is better than the other. You CAN lose weight without following a keto diet. You CAN have fat loss and not follow keto. Somehow, after all of these months, I lost fat and I'm not on keto. While you are not as insistent as some of the posters on this board, there are those who think that it's a one size fits all approach when it comes to weight loss. It'd be far too much effort to train my body to follow keto than to reduce the amount of food that I was eating and work out.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM

712 posts, read 554,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

The one point to make though is Atkins can be a little high on the protein. Does it promote more vegetables these days?
If you read his book it never has been about all protein. Vegetables are a must to make this a long term way of eating (woe)

I aim for 75% fats, 20% protein and 5% carbs. You do way better having your fats higher than protein. The beauty of keto or Atkins is you don't have to eat such small portions your hungry all the time. Plus you can eat the good stuff like real mayo, real salad dressings like ranch or blue cheese, real cheese, real cream cheese and not any of the low fat cardboard tasting foods. This has been my life now for 13 years and I couldn't be happier

Old 04-25-2017, 02:47 PM

20,711 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
If you read his book it never has been about all protein. Vegetables are a must to make this a long term way of eating (woe)

I aim for 75% fats, 20% protein and 5% carbs. You do way better having your fats higher than protein. The beauty of keto or Atkins is you don't have to eat such small portions your hungry all the time. Plus you can eat the good stuff like real mayo, real salad dressings like ranch or blue cheese, real cheese, real cream cheese and not any of the low fat cardboard tasting foods. This has been my life now for 13 years and I couldn't be happier

Agreed. If protein goes over 30% it could prevent ketones.

I can see why its worked for so many years. Looks good.

I can't leave the wild fruits like plums or nanny berry when the season comes so I must carb cycle. Otherwise I am keto. However in that case I am like an Ornish diet. Got to stay away from butter bacon and eggs at that time.

Not sure why anyone would bother with the card board food. When ya carb out do fruits, honey , legumes and some fresh sour dough. Perhaps a grain pilaf with fruits .. I also don't bother with veggies unless that are root veggies. Vegetables are made for fat. Who the hell wants vegetables without fat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss