Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 06:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
I tried the keto diet for a month around two years ago and it was absolute torture. After this experience, I can say that it really isn't for everyone. I think body chemistry and genetics might be a factor in how a person's body will react, though I have no sources or anything to prove this.

While I was on the keto diet, I endured constant fatigue and food cravings, more so than any other diet I have experienced. I also had bouts of nausea and towards the end of the month, I began randomly smelling rotten eggs. It was the oddest thing I have ever experienced. I would just be sitting at home, in class, or at work and out of nowhere the strong odor would hit my nostrils and nobody else around me could smell it. I switched back to a regular diet and these symptoms all went away rather fast.
Hi - not sure what you actually ate, but cravings should disappear by the end of the 1st month, Now that said, my cravings disappeared however, they got triggered when i smelled tempting food and when i saw delicious commercials on tv. Stress also would have caused me to react and go buy a pastry to combat it. so things can trigger you and bring them back but they are for the most part, controlled because the food you are supposed to eat keeps you satisfied.

I dont know about the sulfur eggy smell, but people do get weird breath and weird urine smells but thats your body burning ketones.

Any diet can be torture when you have too strong of a desire to eat back your favorite fattening foods. That is, if you choose to want them over better health, which is what the keto diet aims for. Some people do not do keto which is 20 carbs per day, some do better on 50 carbs a day which is better than 200 carbs a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - not sure what you actually ate, but cravings should disappear by the end of the 1st month, Now that said, my cravings disappeared however, they got triggered when i smelled tempting food and when i saw delicious commercials on tv. Stress also would have caused me to react and go buy a pastry to combat it. so things can trigger you and bring them back but they are for the most part, controlled because the food you are supposed to eat keeps you satisfied.

I dont know about the sulfur eggy smell, but people do get weird breath and weird urine smells but thats your body burning ketones.

Any diet can be torture when you have too strong of a desire to eat back your favorite fattening foods. That is, if you choose to want them over better health, which is what the keto diet aims for. Some people do not do keto which is 20 carbs per day, some do better on 50 carbs a day which is better than 200 carbs a day.
Some people just do not do well with this type of eating.They should not be told that they are either not doing it right, or this is the sacrifice they must make if they want to be healthy.

There is no one way to eat. Everyone is different.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:20 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Some people just do not do well with this type of eating.They should not be told that they are either not doing it right, or this is the sacrifice they must make if they want to be healthy.

What type of eating? Lot of people think eating low carb is a steak.

This is low carb.

Yeah, my calories will come primarily from fat in the course of the day. Some of that will come from a garlic mustard, gouda and walnut pesto.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

This is low carb.

Yeah, my calories will come primarily from fat in the course of the day. Some of that will come from a garlic mustard, gouda and walnut pesto.
Thats fine. That type of eating works for you. I eat beautiful salads as well with locally farmed produce, but I cannot do low carb. It does not agree with me. I need my grains, quinoa, farro, brown rice, whole wheat.
And yes, I did do low carb, managed about 6 months. It sucked. My energy was low, my workouts sucked, I was so tired of the food.

To say one diet fits all is ridiculous.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

This is low carb.

I eat that, plus pasta and other grains, legumes, tubers.

My caloric pie chart can probably be broken down as 50-55% carb, 35% protein, 10%-15% fat (mainly from olive oil or cheese). Fat just isn't a staple of my diet, by choice. I don't shy away from it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to eat foods high in it.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:

Quote:
You keep saying that, but no one is else is. We all know this as well.

Eating high carb is a choice, not a necessity. Protein and fat are necessities. The thread is titled "Keto vs Low Carb". The OP was simply giving her opinion which is still ON TOPIC and she's entirely within her rights to give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

My caloric pie chart can probably be broken down as 50-55% carb, 35% protein, 10%-15% fat (mainly from olive oil or cheese). Fat just isn't a staple of my diet, by choice. I don't shy away from it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to eat foods high in it.
You don't go out of your way to consume fat, but I think it's a little ironic that if you eat more carbohydrates than you can keep in your glycogen storage, they are converted to fat. I don't know your activity level or body type, but it is a possibility and does happen to many people. Consuming fat without carbs does not make you fat, yet (a lot of) carbs without fat does and combining the two is the worst.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-24-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 01:38 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
It is my understanding that ketosis occurs when the body has NO carbs to burn, so will only burn fat. Once you consume a carbohydrate, you have stopped burning fat, until the body has run out of carbs again. In other words, you have set yourself back for the day.
I do it for weight loss, but a diabetic or someone with high cholesterol might approach it differently.
It would be very hard to sustain this state for ever, nor would it probably be very healthy. I had to add root vegetables for variety, but I still never eat fruit or juices.

It is true that on a LCHF diet, fruit is just not part of it. We have been sold a bill of goods about fruit. It's one of the worst foods a low carb eater can eat. When I want to go crazy, it means, like about 10 blueberries once a week.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is my understanding that ketosis occurs when the body has NO carbs to burn, so will only burn fat. Once you consume a carbohydrate, you have stopped burning fat, until the body has run out of carbs again. In other words, you have set yourself back for the day.
I do it for weight loss, but a diabetic or someone with high cholesterol might approach it differently.
It would be very hard to sustain this state for ever, nor would it probably be very healthy. I had to add root vegetables for variety, but I still never eat fruit or juices.

It is true that on a LCHF diet, fruit is just not part of it. We have been sold a bill of goods about fruit. It's one of the worst foods a low carb eater can eat. When I want to go crazy, it means, like about 10 blueberries once a week.
I think that if you want to lose weight and stay in ketosis, then yes avoid carbs as much as possible including root vegetables and fruit. This applies only to weight loss and doing otherwise will stall your progress. Not all carbs are created equal and it all tied back to insulin levels. If you keep your blood sugar low, you will keep your insulin low and that ALSO allows you to burn fat and lose weight. So even if you consume carbs such as beans, onions or some fruit, your blood sugar will remain low. The weight loss will not be as rapid or extreme but it will still happen. So IMO many low carb/keto diets are way more strict than they need to be. The key is to eliminate refined carbs foods such as sugar and flour and stick with it.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thats fine. That type of eating works for you. I eat beautiful salads as well with locally farmed produce, but I cannot do low carb. It does not agree with me. I need my grains, quinoa, farro, brown rice, whole wheat.
And yes, I did do low carb, managed about 6 months. It sucked. My energy was low, my workouts sucked, I was so tired of the food.

Yeah it is ridiculous. How often do I find "low carb" described by its detectors as beef and cheese.

I don't know how anyone eating nuts and avocados, poached eggs and heaping garden salads would end up with phantosmia..

When you say "that diet", what diet? You have virtually no information on the actual diet and yet you have such a strong opinion. A high protein diet, especially without organ meats fits the symptoms. So I find it very easy to suspect is was not a clinical ketogenic diet. It was I am gonna eat some meat now instead of potatoes.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I would call that a low fat diet. A lot I have seen some allow 30%. Just straight whole grain is already 5% so....Yes, they are relatively healthy. Your protein is a bit high though for what I would call a "perfectly" healthy diet. The excess just goes to sugar and your liver has to work. Though not as disruptive as too much protein on low carb diets. 35% protein and 10-15% carbs would be a bigger problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss