Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 06:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey congrats on losing a pound! Every pound you lose helps with your blood sugar.
Thank you!! the best part is that it just all made sense, going forward, what the doc told me i could do. keep calories under a certain number, eat 50-500 carbs, and voila. easy peasy.

so glad i can eat stuff now. i ate an orange today for the 1st time in 2 months and it tasted like manna from heaven. so GOOD!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 08:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Thats it! You said it exactly ! There are two things that i need to do for the rest of my life - keep calories under a certain amount, and i can have total carbs per day - 50 to 100. Eat complex carbs and RARELY maybe have a white potato if its going to get me thru the night. Portion control on those higher sugar fruits like apple or peach and grains. So thats it! My A1C went down 3 points, so I'm almost out o pre-diabetes, maybe in 3 months i will be out totally. And everything you wrote, I will eat! Even a glass of milk, i just have to watch the calories and carbs and voila. and also he said not to worry about losing too fast, its for the long road ahead, not just a quickie fix. so all good news today! i can enjoy the Mediterranean diet as long as it fits my macros. YAY! so happy, onward to great health. I've only been on this for 2.5 months!
I am glad you are willing to experiment. Experimenting is the best way to figure out what works. While there are generalizations that apply to most people, your body is unique. For most people LCHF works for both blood sugar control and weight loss. There are some who consume too many calories on LCHF and they need to experiment. The only way to find out what works for you is to try it.

My husband can eat a small cracker or half a piece of fruit. I can't do that or I get all out of whack. I am glad you are finding success.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

My husband can eat a small cracker or half a piece of fruit. I can't do that or I get all out of whack. I am glad you are finding success.
Same here!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am glad you are willing to experiment. Experimenting is the best way to figure out what works. While there are generalizations that apply to most people, your body is unique. For most people LCHF works for both blood sugar control and weight loss. There are some who consume too many calories on LCHF and they need to experiment. The only way to find out what works for you is to try it.

I agree also

Experimenting and finding what works for you as an individual is much better than strictly conforming to someone elses diet plan of do's and dont's

I am not counting any calories on my current diet nor am I counting carbs

I just know I am eating all the right foods and none of the wrong foods and I am eating them in moderation. How much simpler can a diet get than that ?

I have dropped from 270s in feb to my current 234 right now mid May so pretty good results. All food related weight loss ... I have done near zero added exercise other than golfing or yard work. I am male 6'1 by the way - very muscular frame build

Some times I binge eat alittle on a new food as it tastes so good I consume I am sure alittle too much of it. But its kinda my innocent way to cheat and be sure I am eating the right foods. I cooked up 6 pork loin chops the other morning and ate them all in 1 single day ! Now hear me out ... that was pretty much all I consumed the entire day also. Nothing else other than a few pepperochinos

I am guessing around 175 calories ea so around 1200-1300 calries just from the 6 pork chops that day.
They tasted so good and I had not had them in a couple years ! I just kept snacking on 1 every few hours all day long until I had consumed them all - shocking I know. But I did not gain a single pound from it and now a few days later I am back on my regular daily diet meals mostly

Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Going back to the original topic, I saw this informative video recently and thought it would help the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnH-BfIdo_M

Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Hi friends! Update - May 19th - 2 days short of 3 months since I started. At this point, looking over all the changes, its like being schizophrenic. Changing it up constantly as I learn what works or not.

First started low carb and keto if I could be that strict. it worked for a month, then stalled. All that extra butter and grease making me sick to my stomach. Bacon cannot be more nutritious than an apple. All that butter was adding calories and making me maintain the same 3 pounds all month.

Then decided to do a cheat meal to shock my body out of a 4 week plateau, and it worked. Then started really missing fresh fruit (summer is coming!) and so cautiously started adding some fruit.

Then realized its calories that really affect my weight loss.

This week, tweaked this some more and decided I have been eating too much at dinnertime, and sort of not losing very fast. Ate a very light dinner, and voila, scale is moving again at a more rapid pace.

My conclusions - eating clean, low fat, watching calories and portions. I can pretty much eye-ball what is enough. The best of several ways of eating - low carb, Paleo, Adkins 40, Mediterranean diet all have this in common - fresh whole foods that look scrumptious and that other junk food - looks like crud! Put a fresh Greek salad on one plate, and a bowl of Cheetos in another, I will pick the Greek salad!

Next week, I'm going to take a chance and add more complex carbs which are lower calorie, i.e sweet potatos, brown rice, wild rice. I don't believe the carbs in these foods will be too high either.

So exciting this journey, I'm enjoying the ride. So funny how the cravings for junk stopped and I don't look for it.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
My neighbor is doing the keto diet. She had lost 13 pounds in 1 month. She loves it!

Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My neighbor is doing the keto diet. She had lost 13 pounds in 1 month. She loves it!
It helped me at first! i eliminated so much food that now i am ok eating some of it back and its like im eating something fattening,, (fresh fruit). and its not hurting my health. Atkins 40 is a graudation of the Atkins 20 which is one of the keto diets.

Congratulations on that success by the way!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:25 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi friends! Update - May 19th - 2 days short of 3 months since I started. At this point, looking over all the changes, its like being schizophrenic. Changing it up constantly as I learn what works or not.

First started low carb and keto if I could be that strict. it worked for a month, then stalled. All that extra butter and grease making me sick to my stomach. Bacon cannot be more nutritious than an apple. All that butter was adding calories and making me maintain the same 3 pounds all month.

Then decided to do a cheat meal to shock my body out of a 4 week plateau, and it worked. Then started really missing fresh fruit (summer is coming!) and so cautiously started adding some fruit.

Then realized its calories that really affect my weight loss.

This week, tweaked this some more and decided I have been eating too much at dinnertime, and sort of not losing very fast. Ate a very light dinner, and voila, scale is moving again at a more rapid pace.

My conclusions - eating clean, low fat, watching calories and portions. I can pretty much eye-ball what is enough. The best of several ways of eating - low carb, Paleo, Adkins 40, Mediterranean diet all have this in common - fresh whole foods that look scrumptious and that other junk food - looks like crud! Put a fresh Greek salad on one plate, and a bowl of Cheetos in another, I will pick the Greek salad!

Next week, I'm going to take a chance and add more complex carbs which are lower calorie, i.e sweet potatos, brown rice, wild rice. I don't believe the carbs in these foods will be too high either.

So exciting this journey, I'm enjoying the ride. So funny how the cravings for junk stopped and I don't look for it.
That's awesome !

You are actually LEARNING to modify your food intake and pick and choose what works and what does not work for you.

I have done just about the exact same thing over the past 3-4 months.

I even went thru a phase where I thought making these 'wholesome' juice drinks out of carrots grapes apples nectarines green peppers cucumbers squash bananas spinach and a few other wholesome foods... then I discovered I was basically drinking a big ole glass of sugar and decided to nix it after a few weeks.

Its amazing how much weight you can lose and how much better you feel when you are not eating anything that comes pre-packaged or in a can or in a box.

Wholesome fresh foods: meats cheeses veggies etc ... are also some of the cheaper items from your local grocer

great job and congrats again !

Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
That's awesome !

You are actually LEARNING to modify your food intake and pick and choose what works and what does not work for you.

I have done just about the exact same thing over the past 3-4 months.

I even went thru a phase where I thought making these 'wholesome' juice drinks out of carrots grapes apples nectarines green peppers cucumbers squash bananas spinach and a few other wholesome foods... then I discovered I was basically drinking a big ole glass of sugar and decided to nix it after a few weeks.

Its amazing how much weight you can lose and how much better you feel when you are not eating anything that comes pre-packaged or in a can or in a box.

Wholesome fresh foods: meats cheeses veggies etc ... are also some of the cheaper items from your local grocer

great job and congrats again !
yes thanks! actually up earlier in my topic there were people making various suggestions and they were a big help too. I relate to your posts a lot. But sometimes it takes finding your way on works best.

i now am writing my shopping list and wrote down a lot of carbs that i want to get - they are complex - sweet potatos, wild rice, and im going to add those new foods in to test my theory, i think those are starchy but low calorie, i will do this till june 7 when i get my sugars tested. so this will be a good test. i have to watch carbs a bit but i think this wont hurt if i dont do it all day and night. i love making real spinach lately. i dont crave bacon lol .. i love how pretty fresh salads look and im going crazy at the store looking at the fresh summer fruit and going to Michigan in 3 weeks to get whats in season.. its to die for!

hey so glad to hear someone like you is on the same train as me pretty much! scroll up and theres a lot of people here too who do the same. i love that!!! there IS a way to conquer these bad food items and lose weight and not suffer with a drudgery diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss