Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

I do LCHF and I do vegetables including root vegetables for macronutrients, minerals and fiber. I cannot live on meat and dairy alone and don't do grains. As for vegetables with fat, there is always olive oil and cheese. I make a very good cheese sauce. Cream cheese, cheddar cheese, heavy cream and butter. How's that for fat? There is no shortage of fat on my plate regardless of whether its on the vegetables or on the protein.

I still love my fruit and limit amounts and types. Not really Keto, but not really trying to be. It's LC for me. I'm T2 diabetic so for me it's about blood sugar more than weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 04:19 PM

9,852 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are doing the Keto-diet, you might want to look into red-palm-oil.

RPO is higher in MCTs than coconut oil and has a impressive nutritional-profile.
I wanted to follow up, I've been using the red palm oil when cooking eggs and also used it to cook zucchini last night. Tastes great! Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Agreed. If protein goes over 30% it could prevent ketones.

I can see why its worked for so many years. Looks good.

I can't leave the wild fruits like plums or nanny berry when the season comes so I must carb cycle. Otherwise I am keto. However in that case I am like an Ornish diet. Got to stay away from butter bacon and eggs at that time.

Not sure why anyone would bother with the card board food. When ya carb out do fruits, honey , legumes and some fresh sour dough. Perhaps a grain pilaf with fruits .. I also don't bother with veggies unless that are root veggies. Vegetables are made for fat. Who the hell wants vegetables without fat?
i hate fake cardboard food too - at this point, im not cravings any faux-sweets or faux-chips (like a substitute for potato chips). its real food for me. Funny about a month in, vegetables and other real foods tasted sweeter, found that out by eating carrots how sweet they were. i dont need sweetener in coffee, dont need protein shakes, dont need Atkins bars, etc. would rather have a plate of steamed spinach with nutmeg, butter, lemon juice, bacon and onons and garlic.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:54 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I wanted to follow up, I've been using the red palm oil when cooking eggs and also used it to cook zucchini last night. Tastes great! Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it is quite yummmi.

Let RPO/any-oil cool-down really good, especially if you are doing keto and adding a lot of fat......it makes the texture of what you are eating much better.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, it is quite yummmi.

Let RPO/any-oil cool-down really good, especially if you are doing keto and adding a lot of fat......it makes the texture of what you are eating much better.
Where is the palm oil sourced from? Sustainable err no?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:36 PM

9,852 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Where is the palm oil sourced from? Sustainable err no?
Organic Red Palm Oil | Where To Buy, Benefits & Environment

Q: Are rainforests and orangutan habitats destroyed to grow palm fruits for your Organic Red Palm Oil?
A: No, Rainforests and orangutan habitats are not destroyed in the growing of Nutiva’s Organic Red Palm Oil. The region of Ecuador where the oil is grown has numerous small family farms, averaging 10 hectares (about 25 acres), interspersed throughout the regional forests. These subsistence farms were planted many years ago and are now being worked by second and third generation farming families. As an organic farm, they have a very healthy environment for animal and plant life that blends with the surrounding forest.

While Red Palm Oil grown in SE Asia often contributes to rainforest and orangutan habitat destruction, Nutiva’s Organic Red Palm Oil does not. In fact, orangutans don’t live in Ecuador, which is located in South America. In addition, most palm oil is non-organic, which results in farmers spraying Roundup™or other harsh herbicides at the base of each tree twice year. Organic growing practices avoid introducing such toxins into the environment.

In addition, Nutiva has partnered with Natural Habitats in Ecuador to ensure that no deforestation or habitat destruction results from the growing or harvesting process. Nutiva is also promoting social programs in the area by building a small health clinic for the local doctor, and hiring a full-time soccer coach and providing uniforms for the local youth.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:41 PM

Hi all - just thought I would update you. I have been eating the low carb high fat diet for a little over 2 months. All thru April i only lost 1 pound, the same 1-3 pounds kept hanging around. I tried everything and did not cheat.

Anyhoo, upon further studying all this stuff on my own, i have decided to stay lower carb, but do the Atkins 40 where you can add a few lower carb food - (complex carbs - not all kinds but some). and i am going to try to follow that plus the Mediterranean Diet. A couple of things made me do this - i really missed fruit, and all that high fat was making me sick to my stomach. And i think i would rather choose a fruit over tons of butter, i think the fiber will do what the extra fat was supposed to do.

So this week, Im experimenting adding some more complex carbs, and upping my carbs to about 50 total or 40 net.

I looked at the recipes and its like a bee to honey. I think i can still keep it a small amount of carbs, but also eating more complex carbos. Its basically eating cleaner. I think all that butter was hurting me and adding calories. even 500 calories more a day could have stalled me. And I'm going back to Carnation Creamer, rather than the heavy whipping cream. and not so much cheese. I suspect those things kept me plateaud. We shall see this week or two.

Some new food items - berries, low carb wheat tortilla, and oatmeal. Not raisins though. Not sure if i will drink some milk or not. Beans seem to be too high carb unless i got 1/2 cup serving. So anyhoo, i hope this works, seems like the LCHF was not working well after month 1.

Will let you know how it works!

Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi all - just thought I would update you. I have been eating the low carb high fat diet for a little over 2 months. All thru April i only lost 1 pound, the same 1-3 pounds kept hanging around. I tried everything and did not cheat.

Anyhoo, upon further studying all this stuff on my own, i have decided to stay lower carb, but do the Atkins 40 where you can add a few lower carb food - (complex carbs - not all kinds but some). and i am going to try to follow that plus the Mediterranean Diet. A couple of things made me do this - i really missed fruit, and all that high fat was making me sick to my stomach. And i think i would rather choose a fruit over tons of butter, i think the fiber will do what the extra fat was supposed to do.

So this week, Im experimenting adding some more complex carbs, and upping my carbs to about 50 total or 40 net.

I looked at the recipes and its like a bee to honey. I think i can still keep it a small amount of carbs, but also eating more complex carbos. Its basically eating cleaner. I think all that butter was hurting me and adding calories. even 500 calories more a day could have stalled me. And I'm going back to Carnation Creamer, rather than the heavy whipping cream. and not so much cheese. I suspect those things kept me plateaud. We shall see this week or two.

Some new food items - berries, low carb wheat tortilla, and oatmeal. Not raisins though. Not sure if i will drink some milk or not. Beans seem to be too high carb unless i got 1/2 cup serving. So anyhoo, i hope this works, seems like the LCHF was not working well after month 1.

Will let you know how it works!
You have to find what works for you and what you think you can handle for life. Sometimes it means mixing things up. Sticking to a diet plan that doesn't work for you will only backfire in the long run. Some people can handle keto diets...I am not one of those people. I personally enjoy a more balanced approach.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You have to find what works for you and what you think you can handle for life. Sometimes it means mixing things up. Sticking to a diet plan that doesn't work for you will only backfire in the long run. Some people can handle keto diets...I am not one of those people. I personally enjoy a more balanced approach.
yes that's what I am working on right now.. this week the scale finally began moving again ... it may be the calories is what is working.. all that fat might have been adding more calories. it only takes 500 calories a day to make a diff

Old 05-09-2017, 12:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
yes that's what I am working on right now.. this week the scale finally began moving again ... it may be the calories is what is working.. all that fat might have been adding more calories. it only takes 500 calories a day to make a diff
Fat adds up and if you are not in a fat burning mode (keto) you are going to gain weight pretty quickly.
Stick to mono saturated fats in smaller quantities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss