Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I get it - its like budgeting your nutrients (re the fruit).

I think also you avoid fruit and other high-sugar foods because you want your body to use fat as fuel, not sugar as fuel? is that the idea?

I do want to do the low carb. I am motivated to do that, amazingly because i am a sugar addict. I mean literally where certain food when eaten makes me feel relaxed, like a tranquilizer! you can actually feel the calmness set in after eating certain foods. but now i am determined to do this.

The thing about sugar cravings is that they go away if you don't feed them. If you feed them, whether with fruit or table sugar, they come back.

You can do this. Many people do it. My husband is prediabetic and eating low carb has lowered his fasting blood sugar, triglycerides and A1C. I have been eating low carb for years. I lost 50 lbs. My cholesterol and triglycerides are great. I am not a diabetic. I have been having trouble losing more weight but my health markers are all healthy.

You can do this. Just stick with it ALL the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You are right. I'm a sugar addict too, I've had to really be careful because a tiny bit will start terrible cravings for more.

If you add a new food, just keep weighing yourself to make sure it doesn't stop or reverse your weight loss. Everyone is different.

And btw, eggs do not have carbs as posted earlier.
Yes eggs do have carbs. A large egg has .45 g. If you make three eggs for breakfast that is 1.35 g. That is not a lot of carbs but if you are trying to limit your carbs you have to count all of them

Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Yes eggs do have carbs. A large egg has .45 g. If you make three eggs for breakfast that is 1.35 g. That is not a lot of carbs but if you are trying to limit your carbs you have to count all of them
Okay. It says 0 on the all the cartons I've ever bought so I never knew!

Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Low-carb is simple IMHO, and much more practical for most people, when compared to Keto.

Keto, real Keto, yeah, that is a whole different ball-game....carbs and protein are very-much restricted. And depending on the person, you might find your diet closing-in on you if you want to maintain a heavy-level of ketosis. Those almonds you love so much, maybe too many carbs....then your ketone-level drops way down and there goes your energy-levels and mood........YMMV.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Low-carb is simple IMHO, and much more practical for most people, when compared to Keto.

Keto, real Keto, yeah, that is a whole different ball-game....carbs and protein are very-much restricted. And depending on the person, you might find your diet closing-in on you if you want to maintain a heavy-level of ketosis. Those almonds you love so much, maybe too many carbs....then your ketone-level drops way down and there goes your energy-levels and mood........YMMV.
Hi - yes, Im in week 1 of this and today i was at about 20 carbs about 2:00, i started feeling light headed, so i ate a pack of hot cereal, and that made me feel better. i dont think i want to go totally keto if it will make me feel sick from it.. so i think i might feel more manageable at about 50, i think i will still lose weight, i hope.

IOW, if i eat 50 carbs and feel good, and lose 3 pounds a week, i'd rather do that than lose 4 pounds a week and get dizzy.

By the way, since i changed my diet and/or lost 10 pounds, all week i have not been feeling my knee stiffen up, i used to have that every time i'd get up from my desk, this week i notice it has gone. wonder if milk was causing this or maybe water, but my knees would feel like a tight band of elastic was wound around it. do you all know what causes swelling in the knee from food or diet. i cant beleive that 10 pounds loss would change that so dramatically.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Hi - yes, Im in week 1 of this and today i was at about 20 carbs about 2:00, i started feeling light headed, so i ate a pack of hot cereal, and that made me feel better. i dont think i want to go totally keto if it will make me feel sick from it.. so i think i might feel more manageable at about 50, i think i will still lose weight, i hope.

IOW, if i eat 50 carbs and feel good, and lose 3 pounds a week, i'd rather do that than lose 4 pounds a week and get dizzy.

By the way, since i changed my diet and/or lost 10 pounds, all week i have not been feeling my knee stiffen up, i used to have that every time i'd get up from my desk, this week i notice it has gone. wonder if milk was causing this or maybe water, but my knees would feel like a tight band of elastic was wound around it. do you all know what causes swelling in the knee from food or diet. i cant beleive that 10 pounds loss would change that so dramatically.
any amount loss helps improve the knees.

this is a keto specific topic, so it's not my intention to derail it. But I'd rather lose "only" 1-2 lbs per week if it means that I can eat a variety of things, including carbs and not have to adapt to anything other than simply eating less.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

this is a keto specific topic, so it's not my intention to derail it. But I'd rather lose "only" 1-2 lbs per week if it means that I can eat a variety of things, including carbs and not have to adapt to anything other than simply eating less.
oh thats ok, you can talk about keto AND low carb.. since im somewhere in the middle of it and i would appreciate all help

Old 03-05-2017, 04:25 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:

Yes, I always feel less aches and pains when I do low-carb....even more-so when I do ketogenic. Dairy causes me pain and stiffness, so I limit it very much.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

You are forgetting that the OPs doctor has prescribed a low carb diet to help control his blood sugar.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You are forgetting that the OPs doctor has prescribed a low carb diet to help control his blood sugar.
Yes thank you, that is right. and I'm a she And its working so far.. i have already felt a lot better even in this past 2 weeks

I appreciate what you said above Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss