Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Well, I never eat until I feel "overstuffed" and usually don't eat before working out because I find it adversely effects my workout performance. That said, I've tried the high protein snacks and other methods to curb hunger but honestly feel at my age I would have to keep my calories below 1400 a day to lose weight. I give up. I will continue to eat healthful foods and exercise but I have to accept that I'm not only not going to lose the weight, but that it will probably continue to go up over time. I guess I feel like I should be able to eat what I ate in my 30s and not gain and, reality is not in alignment with that opinion.
If you work out enough you can still eat whatever you want. Hard cycling is right at 1000 cal per hour burn and a couple hours of that makes it almost impossible to gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 01:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Have your BMR/RMR tested to get a baseline caloric level.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you work out enough you can still eat whatever you want. Hard cycling is right at 1000 cal per hour burn and a couple hours of that makes it almost impossible to gain weight.
That is a huge overestimation. You would have to be riding at max capacity up a a steep hill the entire time.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
I've been on a reduced calorie plan going back to February with great success. I have a lineup of responsible snacks that I rotate through, each which have proven effective for me as I refuse to be hungry.

My first line of defense is to drink three liters of water per day. My second line of defense is to make food choices for meals which allow me to feel full longer (e.g., hard-boiled eggs or turkey sausage for breakfast, chicken/fish for lunch). My third line of defense is to augment my meals when necessary with low calorie, responsible side dishes (e.g., steamed broccoli, cabbage, small salad). My fourth and final line of defense is a roster of low-calorie snacks (e.g., sour pickles, nuts, chewing gum, fresh fruit).

The important thing for me was to not make my weight loss journey punishing, I wanted to keep it a positive experience and managed to do so.

So no, you don't need to be regularly hungry to lose weight.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I would be dead long before the hour got there. That's one way to lose weight.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 PM

17 posts, read 7,587 times
has anyone any fasting and if so what did you do and for how long i have been trying everything and the weight will not stay away

Old 06-04-2017, 06:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No, you should not have to experience hunger, and you do not need drugs to achieve that.
You should experience a little hunger before meals. That is a normal sensation that seems to have vanished for a lot of people.
Make sure you include healthy fats with every meals. That will help you stay satiated. I love snacking of a few nuts. They are great at keeping me going until my next meal. Any snack with protein and fat will do. Just be careful how much you eat. You don't need much.
If you are targeting a specific calorie range make sure you take into account how many calories you are burning during your work out. Of course it will be approximate, but you should be able to get a rough idea. Make sure you take those calories burned into account.
Like peanut butter? I'm asking for a dog who is quite unhappy with smaller portions.......

Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Like peanut butter? I'm asking for a dog who is quite unhappy with smaller portions.......
Smaller portions are the key to weight loss. But peanut butter is tricky because it is so high in calories. I eat a few nuts instead. Small portions of nuts, but they are really satiating if you give yourself a minute after you eat them.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
OMG this topic has so much to reply to!!!

Quote:
Not so. Googling shows it's more like 600 calories/hour. Couple hours = 1,200 calories. I did a recent breakdown of my breakfast of milk, cereal and fruit and came up with almost 500 calories! To burn that up would take... 50 minutes cycling?

An important concept in weight loss is to gain muscle mass because the rest caloric consumption of muscle tissue vs. adipose (fat) tissue results in the conclusion that burning up fat and building muscle tissue can change your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and make your body more inefficient in that you consume more calories at rest. In essence you are programming your body to use more energy at rest. Sadly this effect is testosterone/estrogen driven so women find greater obstacles in altering their BMR.

Quote:
That is a huge overestimation. You would have to be riding at max capacity up a a steep hill the entire time.
For many, many hours. And then you could eat it all back in one fast food stop on the way home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would be dead long before the hour got there. That's one way to lose weight.
MQ you are one of my favorite C-D members! Please don't do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney11 View Post
has anyone any fasting and if so what did you do and for how long i have been trying everything and the weight will not stay away
You have to change both diet and exercise. Fasting alone won't get you there. When you fast your body has a natural protective mechanism that reduces your BMR and causes your body to partially shut down. You will experience feelings of lack of energy, weakness and hunger. IMO your best bet is to increase your exercise, then eat a somewhat less diet (calories) so that you burn more than you consume. When you reach your target weight you can increase your food consumption to match your energy expenditure.

Quote:
Smaller portions are the key to weight loss. But peanut butter is tricky because it is so high in calories. I eat a few nuts instead. Small portions of nuts, but they are really satiating if you give yourself a minute after you eat them.
Peanut butter or any nuts are high nutrition, high caloric foods. IMO you should find other sources for caloric intake during a period when you are trying to change your weight. After you have achieved your target weight you may introduce peanut butter or nuts within reason.

Sadly for me, eating a few nuts is like eating a few potato chips. For me there is no such thing as a little of either. I have to avoid both entirely during my present diet/exercise program.

I suggest as an exercise (pun intended) do 30 minutes on a treadmill with a calories readout at the best pace you can force yourself to, then note the number of calories and go over to the nearest supermarket and read peanut (or other nut) dietary information from packages. Was trotting your axx off for 30 minutes worth eating a small handful of peanuts? (Not for me!)

Old 06-05-2017, 07:06 PM

I can eat a few nuts with no problem, I just look at them as fuel. I just grab a small amount (5 or 6) and eat them. Within 5 minutes I am no longer hungry, and this can carry me of quite some time.
I always underestimate peanut butter so I just stay away from it for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss