Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times

Advertisements

I think if you're hungry, beyond the normal, "Hey, it's time for lunch" sort of hunger, you're not doing something right.

Just about anyone can skip some meals or only eat 1,200 (or fewer) calories and lose weight, but it won't stay off! You can do a lot of damage to your body with yo-yo dieting.

Instead, either meet with a certified nutritionist or research for yourself how to create meals that will maintain your body at a healthy weight for you, as well as a "lifetime" exercise program that you can do as you age. These meals will not be "boring" and need not be expensive: you can learn to prepare whatever veggies are in season, for example. There's also no reason to knock yourself out at a gym for many hours each week, unless you are training to be a Ninja Warrior or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
In following this topic I don't think anybody is "yo-yo" dieting. In my case I eat no lunch because I'm not hungry at lunch time, probably because of my late breakfast. I occasionally experience slight hunger late night on occasion but it's gone in the morning.

I'm one of the DIY researchers, having a B.S. degree and fully aware of the technical side of diet, nutrition, etc. Google is a good thing!

I'm spending just 3-4 hours at the gym each week, my normal workout is an hour.

One thing I know, "just any vegetable" is not a good idea. Some are better, some are bad enough to avoid. Not that I intend to go on it, but in reading about ketogenic diets I've realized that parts of the diet make sense to me.

That's why I'm considering changing my cereal-milk-banana breakfast. Apparently bananas are not good fruits to consume. I'm thinking of switching to something lower carb, higher protein.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
What's wrong with bananas? They are high in potassium. Is your cereal high in fiber? That helps with fullness. You might also want to add a small egg with that breakfast.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
SNIP
That's why I'm considering changing my cereal-milk-banana breakfast. Apparently bananas are not good fruits to consume. I'm thinking of switching to something lower carb, higher protein.
Not only are the bananas very high in carbs ... nearly all cereals will have ALOT more carbs in them than the bananas ( not to mention HFCS )

I used to eat a banana every single day for years and years prior to going on my low carb diet about 5 months ago ( down 40+ pounds )

Try almond milk also - you may be pleasantly surprised how nice it tastes. I know I was

Cereal is a rare eve snack meal for me around 7-8pm some nights. Always almond milk and maybe 1/5th of an apple cut up vs banana.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What's wrong with bananas? They are high in potassium. Is your cereal high in fiber? That helps with fullness. You might also want to add a small egg with that breakfast.
Bananas are great. Filling, full of potassium, some fiber, and they taste good. Yes they have sugar, but in moderation they are a healthy choice. Of course if you are going the low carb route they may not be a good choice.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 AM

I don't fully understand it but I think the problem with bananas is carbs. There is the sugar problem (medium banana 14.5 grams sugar). The Internet has conflicting opinions on whether bananas are good or bad, enough negative to make me wonder.

My cereal is Kashi (I prefer the whole wheat biscuits variety) which has 43 grams total carbs, 24% dietary fiber: 1 gram soluble, 5 grams insoluble). I eat the recommended serving size or no more than 10% higher. I don't think the cereal or 2% milk is the problem. Kashi has made their reputation on being health oriented but that could be just advertising blather. I am disappointed that they have 7 grams sugar/serving (cane syrup). Gawd, I hope that isn't HFCS. I don't understand why a cereal needs sugar added.

I'll be out of bananas tomorrow and considering changing to a different standard breakfast the day after.

To be honest the bananas are beginning to seem over-ripe and if I'm not mistaken the sugar content increases as they ripen. The one I consumed yesterday seemed way overly sweet, too sugary and sweet for my taste. When I bought the latest batch I over-estimated their shelf life, thought I'd get to them in an earlier state of ripeness. In fact I may toss tomorrow's banana and change to a different breakfast.

I'm open to suggestions. As long as I eat any kind of breakfast I don't seem to get hungry until near dinner time. A breakfast including an egg appeals to me. I sometimes eat an egg cooked with a small amount of chili con carne served in a flour tortilla for breakfast.

You should understand that I'm not convinced I've selected a good breakfast choice. Six months ago I thought it was a good idea, now I'm not so sure. Compared to what I was eating a year ago my breakfast choices have become a lot better.

A year ago my favorite breakfast was a toasted bagel with cream cheese, onion and lox. I think everybody can agree that was a very poor choice. I haven't had that in over 6 months.

One thing I have going for me, I don't like sweets. I'm a "salt person." I'm never tempted to eat sweet desserts (or desserts of any kind). I use sugar in cooking occasionally, it seems to temper acidity. A small quantity of sugar lasts an extremely long time in my pantry, so long that I would worry about shelf life if I didn't know that its shelf life is probably indefinite as long as you keep it dry.

As I type, and consume today's breakfast, the banana seems disgustingly sweet to me, so much that I'm considering throwing away the last one. I'll happily accept suggestions of a different fruit to serve with cereal and milk.

Last edited by Lovehound; 07-17-2017 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Bananas are great. Filling, full of potassium, some fiber, and they taste good. Yes they have sugar, but in moderation they are a healthy choice. Of course if you are going the low carb route they may not be a good choice.
I'm not going the full low carb route but merely reducing carbs where it's convenient, particularly at dinner. These days my protein serving is much larger than rice or potatoes. Most people would consider the amount of rice or potatoes I consume to be a half serving. The fewer starches I eat the less I miss them. For example, last night I had a Marie Calendar's Steak & Potatoes dinner (a sometimes alternative to Lean Cuisine) and I pushed half the potatoes aside, threw them out instead of eating them.

At present I consider a good protein serving size to be 4-5 oz. (when I cook). Certainly no more. I just noticed the MC dinner had 20g protein (less than an ounce) and 41g carbs, 10g fat. Upon reading the dietary info I think I'll quit buying MC products. (It's good that I have no more in stock.) I haven't fully analyzed the Lean Cuisines but they are pretty small dinners, for what that's worth.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
At dinner, I eat 1 cup of starch, sometimes with beans. 4-5 oz meat. 1 cup of veggies. 450-550 calories.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
That is too bad, for me it is the opposite. I lose my appetite after a lot of exertion. Anyway, my suggestion is to keep a pouch of tuna, 2 oz of cheese, or a hard boiled egg handy. Either one will hold you for hours.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
At dinner, I eat 1 cup of starch, sometimes with beans. 4-5 oz meat. 1 cup of veggies. 450-550 calories.
Fortunately I like vegetables and most are pretty good just steamed with a little bit of salt and margarine. I seem to eat about the same amount of meat when I cook from scratch. I'm eating less starch, perhaps 1/2 cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That is too bad, for me it is the opposite. I lose my appetite after a lot of exertion. Anyway, my suggestion is to keep a pouch of tuna, 2 oz of cheese, or a hard boiled egg handy. Either one will hold you for hours.
I experience loss of appetite for about 1-2 hours after a heavy workout. Since I workout mid-late afternoons this takes me into the dinner period. I don't experience hunger between breakfast and right up to just before dinner.

One thing I cut out a few weeks ago was snacking on vegetables and cheese before dinner. I suspect in my case the snacking was actually stimulating my appetite. Not only that but I sometimes experienced late night or early morning digestive distress which has completely ceased since I quit the snacks.

At this point I think that we all differ so much as individuals that there is no one right plan that is a good idea for everybody. I think we each have to work out what works best for our own individual physiology.

I appreciate the suggestions. One of them is bound to be a good idea for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss