Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:00 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
People have no right to chastise others for eating animal protein. It is natural for us to do so. If someone does not want to eat it for whatever reason it is their right as well. I believe like the Cherokee (of which I have some blood), you live lightly on the land, you can use animals but you ask permission and you give thanks, you do not take more than you need, and you do not cause unneeded suffering.

I am an omnivore, and eat from all food groups, and I do not believe I am incurring "karma" by doing so!
Actually, we DO have the right to chastise others for eating animal protein.

Tell me something, do you criticize other nations for killing dogs and eating their meat? How about nations that kill dolphins and whales for meat?

See where I'm getting at?

It is not natural for people to eat animal protein; animal protein just happened to be one food source people ate throughout our history not because it was necessary, but because it was there.

If you think that piece of steak you ate for dinner, the eggs and milk you consume for breakfast, and the chicken or pork you ate for lunch was 'humanely' killed for the sake of your palate, you have a serious reality check coming.

I no longer eat animal products of any kind, mainly for my health, but also because I no longer want to contribute to the suffering of animals for the sake of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Tell me something, do you criticize other nations for killing dogs and eating their meat? How about nations that kill dolphins and whales for meat?

It is not natural for people to eat animal protein; animal protein just happened to be one food source people ate throughout our history not because it was necessary, but because it was there.

If you think that piece of steak you ate for dinner, the eggs and milk you consume for breakfast, and the chicken or pork you ate for lunch was 'humanely' killed for the sake of your palate, you have a serious reality check coming.

I no longer eat animal products of any kind, mainly for my health, but also because I no longer want to contribute to the suffering of animals for the sake of food.
Well, good for you, as I said earlier, you have the right to believe and eat as you please and I am not judging YOU for your food choices. I do not accept your haughty judgment of me or anyone else who does not believe or do as you do.

Incidentally, I have a close friend who in his 30s was a vegetarian, and like you, looked down his nose at those who ate animal flesh. Fast forward to today in his 50s he is a paleo type eater, feeling much healthier and realizes what an opinionated *** he was back in his veggie days.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, good for you, as I said earlier, you have the right to believe and eat as you please and I am not judging YOU for your food choices. I do not accept your haughty judgment of me or anyone else who does not believe or do as you do.

Incidentally, I have a close friend who in his 30s was a vegetarian, and like you, looked down his nose at those who ate animal flesh. Fast forward to today in his 50s he is a paleo type eater, feeling much healthier and realizes what an opinionated *** he was back in his veggie days.
You didn't answer my question.

Do you criticize those who kill, torture, and eat animals like dogs, cats, dolphins, baby seals, and whales?

Simple yes or no please, if you choose to answer.

You are the one that haughtily stated that people have no right to chastise others for eating animal protein. So wondering if you practice what you preach. Do I need to go over your post history to find out any hypocrisies?

And by the way, inferring that I'm an opinionated a** for my beliefs proves that you are exactly the same you judge others for.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question.

Do you criticize those who kill, torture, and eat animals like dogs, cats, dolphins, baby seals, and whales?

Simple yes or no please, if you choose to answer.

You are the one that haughtily stated that people have no right to chastise others for eating animal protein. So wondering if you practice what you preach. Do I need to go over your post history to find out any hypocrisies?

And by the way, inferring that I'm an opinionated a** for my beliefs proves that you are exactly the same you judge others for.
You are conflating two issues. Eating meat with factory farming. If the animals were pasture raised, grass fed, and humanely slaughtered, would you still have a problem?

Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:

Actually, it is. We're omnivores. That's what omnivores means. What isn't natural is being vegan. Not that that really matters. You can just take a supplement now and your unnatural diet works fine.

Humane, that's life. It's like you think land wasn't cleared for farming. You think all those animals that lost their habitat were humanely relocated to a refuge for displaced wild animals. Of course you have the right to chastise people for whatever you want. It's called free speech. I have the same right to go eat a juicy, delicious hamburger in front of you. Yum!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are conflating two issues. Eating meat with factory farming. If the animals were pasture raised, grass fed, and humanely slaughtered, would you still have a problem?
There is no such thing as humanly slaughtered animals in the meat and dairy industry. Grass fed or pasture raised animals mean nothing, they're just feel good soundbites. Grass fed or not, these animals still go to the same slaughterhouses where they are tortured and killed for food.

And I am not conflating two issues. Gypsychic is the one that hypocritically came at me saying that people like myself have no right to criticize others who eat animal protein. If that's the case, then how does gypsychic feel about people killing animals like dogs and dolphins and whales for food? How do YOU feel about that?

And that goes back to what I said, there is no 'humane' slaughter of animals for food in the meat industry, so absolutely no way one can judge those who eat certain animals and those who eat others.

I don't have a problem with people who quickly kill their own meat for food. A shot to the head, a clean kill and consume what they kill in order to survive. Animals in the meat industry are tortured and killed and hardly humane.

And humans are omnivores by CHOICE, not biological necessity or anatomical design. Those who eat mostly meats and fats with very little carbs can have nutritional deficiencies and health issues just as much as those who do not eat such foods.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Anatomical design? Really?

There are animals that are strictly herbivores. They don't have the teeth, bite strength or digestive system to eat or process meat.

There are animals that are strictly carnivores. They have the teeth and digestive systems made to eat meat. You could take them to a field of fruit, veggies, and grains and they will walk past all of that looking for something to kill and eat.

Humans have the teeth, bite strength, and digestive systems that can handle both plant food and meat. Are you saying that evolution /God/whatever you believe just created the ability for humans to eat meat on a whim? Our physical ability to eat and digest meat was some type of accident that we should blatantly ignore?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Anatomical design? Really?

There are animals that are strictly herbivores. They don't have the teeth, bite strength or digestive system to eat or process meat.

There are animals that are strictly carnivores. They have the teeth and digestive systems made to eat meat. You could take them to a field of fruit, veggies, and grains and they will walk past all of that looking for something to kill and eat.

Humans have the teeth, bite strength, and digestive systems that can handle both plant food and meat. Are you saying that evolution /God/whatever you believe just created the ability for humans to eat meat on a whim? Our physical ability to eat and digest meat was some type of accident that we should blatantly ignore?
Humans in general do not have the ability to digest meat and animal products. That is why we have such staggering rates of heart disease and metabolic disorders.

We have flat teeth for grinding, longer intestines, sweat glands, etc., all characteristic of herbivores.

True carnivores can eat loads of saturated fats and cholesterol and never develop heart disease, whereas mammals like apes and rabbits and humans do develop heart disease from such diets.

I say in general, because some people may have the genetics to eat such foods and be ok health wise. But for most people, our bodies are not designed to eat meat and process it like true carnivores. Like I said meat and dairy products are a choice, not biological necessity.

If you like meat, that is your choice, however, there is no biological or evolutionary reason for a need to eat meat or dairy products.

By the way, I appreciate that you don't resort to petty name calling unlike the others out there.

I may not agree with eating meat or dairy, but I don't call such people on here dbags and an opinionated a**. I simply call people out on their hypocrisy and don't resort to such childish things. Name calling is the last resort for those hypocrites who have no basis for their beliefs and arguments.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:46 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
... While animal products may increase chances of inflammation,.....
??? While it is possible to be allergic to certain dietary animal proteins, generally speaking, it is carbs that cause inflammation.. You can search "Inflammatory Index" to see the research on the subject-- meats are generally low on the list and veggies/carbs hi.

Thanks to modern transportation & shipping, it is possible to maintain health on a vegan diet, but without access to fruits & vegetables from around the world on a year round basis, it would be pretty tough. There is zero credible evidence that a vegetarian diet is better for health.

H.sapiens is basically a carnivore: short small intestine compared to herbivores, limited amylase, no cellulase, small molars etc etc. While we do have ability to digest fruits (simple sugars), we have very limited ability to absorb adequate nutrition from more cellulosic vegetables.

There is a body of research that supports the notion that those of Blood type O do better on a meat based diet, while those of A, B or AB do better on a plant based diet. Interestingly, our blood types are determined by a combination of genetic factors and exposure to plant pollen.

How can you tell if someone is a vegan?...You don't have to guess... They're gunna tell you about it soon enough.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:00 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Humans in general do not have the ability to digest meat and animal products. That is why we have such staggering rates of heart disease and metabolic disorders.

We have flat teeth for grinding, longer intestines, sweat glands, etc., all characteristic of herbivores.

True carnivores can eat loads of saturated fats and cholesterol and never develop heart disease, whereas mammals like apes and rabbits and humans do develop heart disease from such diets.

I say in general, because some people may have the genetics to eat such foods and be ok health wise. But for most people, our bodies are not designed to eat meat and process it like true carnivores. Like I said meat and dairy products are a choice, not biological necessity.

If you like meat, that is your choice, however, there is no biological or evolutionary reason for a need to eat meat or dairy products.

Practically every comment above is false.

We have small molars compared to the early, herbivorous hominids who branched off from our line of evolution, and compared to Chimps. We also have small intestines half the length of chimps, who are basically herbivorous. Sweat glands have nothing to do with diet. Arteriosclerosis has to do with carbs, not fat. (EG-- accelerated arteriosclerosis in diabetics & chol levels are lower in those on a hi protein/lo carb diet than those on low fat/hi carb diets.

American Sioux and the Germanic tribes encountered by Caesar ate diets almost exclusively consisting of meat and were noted for their extraordinary size, strength, health and toughness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss