Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Humans in general do not have the ability to digest meat and animal products. That is why we have such staggering rates of heart disease and metabolic disorders.

We have flat teeth for grinding, longer intestines, sweat glands, etc., all characteristic of herbivores.

True carnivores can eat loads of saturated fats and cholesterol and never develop heart disease, whereas mammals like apes and rabbits and humans do develop heart disease from such diets.

I say in general, because some people may have the genetics to eat such foods and be ok health wise. But for most people, our bodies are not designed to eat meat and process it like true carnivores. Like I said meat and dairy products are a choice, not biological necessity.

If you like meat, that is your choice, however, there is no biological or evolutionary reason for a need to eat meat or dairy products.

By the way, I appreciate that you don't resort to petty name calling unlike the others out there.

I may not agree with eating meat or dairy, but I don't call such people on here dbags and an opinionated a**. I simply call people out on their hypocrisy and don't resort to such childish things. Name calling is the last resort for those hypocrites who have no basis for their beliefs and arguments.
We aren't carnivores though. We are omnivores, and our bodies adapted to eating both plants and meat. Obviously individual biochemistry causes difference, but we have features to process and handle plants and meats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 12:42 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy;48916163[B
]Humans in general do not have the ability to digest meat and animal products. [/b]That is why we have such staggering rates of heart disease and metabolic disorders.

We have flat teeth for grinding, longer intestines, sweat glands, etc., all characteristic of herbivores.

True carnivores can eat loads of saturated fats and cholesterol and never develop heart disease, whereas mammals like apes and rabbits and humans do develop heart disease from such diets.

I say in general, because some people may have the genetics to eat such foods and be ok health wise. But for most people, our bodies are not designed to eat meat and process it like true carnivores. Like I said meat and dairy products are a choice, not biological necessity.

If you like meat, that is your choice, however, there is no biological or evolutionary reason for a need to eat meat or dairy products.

By the way, I appreciate that you don't resort to petty name calling unlike the others out there.

I may not agree with eating meat or dairy, but I don't call such people on here dbags and an opinionated a**. I simply call people out on their hypocrisy and don't resort to such childish things. Name calling is the last resort for those hypocrites who have no basis for their beliefs and arguments.

Holy moly. Is one thing making an ethical choice to be a vegan, Its quite enough being a revisionist biologist and anatomist and simply making up stuff. This is endemic on the internet nowadays and wither you are a part of it or are regurgitating opinion pieces you've read elsewhere - but please. We are neither true carnivores nor herbivores, we are omnivores and paleontologists will tell you we have been that way for a very long time. Our characteristics all suggest omnivorous. There are no fermenting vats, no hindgut sacs. In any event, intestinal absorption is a surface area issue, not simply linear length. Plus you simply do not have sufficient gut bacteria to synthesize your B12 needs.... You need it supplemented if you do not get it from animal source.

I see a lot of this nowadays - people trying to make the science fit their belief system, rather than facts inform them. The comparative anatomy, physiology and paleontology research shows the human is basically omnivorous. Those with agendas and no actual credentials other than the strength of their belief make up spurious theories as to otherwise. As for "true carnivores" - who the heck is arguing that. No humans either live as or claim to be "true carnivores" so why are you throwing that red herring in there?

Being vegan or vegetarian is an ethical choice - good for you. Don't make up stuff to justify it.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
If humans can't digest meat properly, how are we still alive after all of these thousands of years?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:59 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Word. And I say that as one who has been veg'n for 28 nonconsecutive years.
I am a vegetarian, but only for about two years of my 59, and I don't want to be that sort of person.

What is the point? Nobody's going to change the way they eat because someone talked down at them in a message board.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
You obviously read more into things than was intended. Since studies have proven that eating animal foods WILL lead to those diseases it's not that I'm "cursing" anybody but assuming this is very likely to happen over time, I see it all around me all the time. And precisely because I didn't escape damage is that I've been trying to warn others, but if no one wants to listen they'll have to pay the consequences,
plain and simple, no curse there.
You wrote:

I just hope that when your health collapses and you get E.D. from clogged arteries that you'll remember this, but you probably won't because the blood vessels to your brain will also be totally clogged from eating all those animal foods.

I didn't read anything extra into it. You are pretty clear.

Sounds to me as if you're drooling with anticipation of that happening to the poster at which it was directed.

Why would anyone listen to a self-righteous, condescending person on a message board? You don't want to help anyone. You just want to persuade yourself you're smarter than other people because you're a recent convert and you want everyone else to be, too. Such people are insufferable no matter what their cause, and you won't persuade a single person to stop eating meat acting like that.

You know damn well that it's not inevitable that a person who eats meat will suffer from illness because of it. My mom's 88, her uncle is 93, her mother lived to 94, they all ate meat and none of them had/have dementia.

Worry about what you choose to eat, and maybe by example you might influence someone not to eat animals. People would rather see a sermon than hear one.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You wrote:

I just hope that when your health collapses and you get E.D. from clogged arteries that you'll remember this, but you probably won't because the blood vessels to your brain will also be totally clogged from eating all those animal foods.

I didn't read anything extra into it. You are pretty clear.

Sounds to me as if you're drooling with anticipation of that happening to the poster at which it was directed.

Why would anyone listen to a self-righteous, condescending person on a message board? You don't want to help anyone. You just want to persuade yourself you're smarter than other people because you're a recent convert and you want everyone else to be, too. Such people are insufferable no matter what their cause, and you won't persuade a single person to stop eating meat acting like that.

You know damn well that it's not inevitable that a person who eats meat will suffer from illness because of it. My mom's 88, her uncle is 93, her mother lived to 94, they all ate meat and none of them had/have dementia.

Worry about what you choose to eat, and maybe by example you might influence someone not to eat animals. People would rather see a sermon than hear one.

I'm an omnivore and as such have a more-or-less equal amount of respect for the life of plants as I do animals.

I may not need both to live but I prefer both and appreciate both and respect both.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,064 times
what do CARBS DO?

Short answer - provide quick energy-

and if you need lots, quickly, they are ideal.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I'm an omnivore and as such have a more-or-less equal amount of respect for the life of plants as I do animals.

I may not need both to live but I prefer both and appreciate both and respect both.
It's a personal decision. No one can tell another what to do.

But about the plants...I have some lettuce in my garden, and I thank the plants when I yank them out of the ground. I don't feel as if they suffer as an animal does, but maybe that's just because I am an animal and not a plant.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a personal decision. No one can tell another what to do.

But about the plants...I have some lettuce in my garden, and I thank the plants when I yank them out of the ground. I don't feel as if they suffer as an animal does, but maybe that's just because I am an animal and not a plant.
PBS had a documentary on plants. They are very much awareness of when they being attacked and they signal other plants to beware. All life feels something.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
PBS had a documentary on plants. They are very much awareness of when they being attacked and they signal other plants to beware. All life feels something.
I know I saw something a few years ago about a disease that affects trees. The tree combats the disease by giving off a certain substance. What is interesting is that other trees in proximity not yet affected begin to give off the substance. The trees are apparently communicating the danger to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss