Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

What Does a Carbohydrate Do? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Every time I listen to Dr. Marc Darrow the PRP/Stem Cell guru here in So Cal he talks about taking off the weight and it will be easier on the joints. I hear that loud and clear and I'm really working to keep most of the 30 lbs off that I took off in the recent hospital/rehabs...which primarily was due to LOSS of appetite due to pain meds.

He says the more carbs the more increase in insulin. MODERATION and more MODERATION.

Eat Less Overall. We need to eat but not lbs at a sitting.

When people call in with joint issues/questions....he goes right to the weight issue? MANY are overweight.

Personally, I have NOT brought a piece of bread into my house for over 10 yrs...started by buying gluten free and it just didn't feel right, so I said STOP it all. Use lovely GREEN romaine lettuce leaves as a wrap for my protein. Usually a a burger or piece of chicken or Boars Head sliced meats.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-17-2017 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Yes I as well gave up bread approx. 4-5 months ago

I had cut back on it previous to that... but came to realize that if it is in my house I will consume more of it than a reasonable daily %

Do I miss it ? yea - do I still have an occasional sandwich or biscuit or roll somewhere on rare occasion ? yes I do

But I do not buy a package of bread and sit it on my counter. Its just asking for trouble as too tempting to have a slice or 2 of toast with breakfast or throw together a quick on the run sandwich or have a slice or 2 with dinner

What works for me and my diet is not bringing home things I know I should not be eating

simple plan and it WORKS

Old 06-19-2017, 12:59 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I think that when you practice moderation with everything, things work out. There is nothing inherently wrong with starches/bread unless you have a specific medical problem. As with anything, you have to practice portion control (i.e. 1 cup of rice/pasta, 2 slices of bread, if you eat a hamburger bun, then no additional starchy sides, etc.)

Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
You might look into the idea of good carbs and bad carbs. Sugar is the ultimate bad carb, while Oatmeal has many redeeming qualities. And of course, fruit and veggies all have carbs.

The glycemic index rates all kinds of foods on how they affect your blood sugars.
Here's more about it Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health

Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You might look into the idea of good carbs and bad carbs. Sugar is the ultimate bad carb, while Oatmeal has many redeeming qualities. And of course, fruit and veggies all have carbs.

The glycemic index rates all kinds of foods on how they affect your blood sugars.
Here's more about it Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health
That was interesting. Good info.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I agree If It's Not In The House, I won't think about it and eat it. Stopping the bread buying was pretty darn easy, it's been some yrs. And if and when I go out for a burger, I get a toasted bun....but use romaine lettuce for my breads at home. Often we NEED to stop something to get to better goals and feeling better.

I now get people to help with groceries now that I'm not driving and still dealing with a narley knee issue....and I have NOT brought ice cream into house either. Yogurt yes, and now liking goat milk yogurt so much more than cow's milk, but plain and add some raisins and nuts and some fruit if I have any around.

Not getting around like I did all my life, is also keeping me from restaurants. Sometimes it takes a "hitting bottom thing" to make changes.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:52 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Weird, you talk about eating pretzels and stuff like that a lot. There is nothing wrong with eating some, but you say you don't at all. You are all over the map with your posts.

I don't think you follow most of what you say.

I eat all kinds of carbs (healthy). 50, 5'5 and 129 pounds. I'm like 80% vegetarian.

OP, you need to consider you put oil in your coffee and all kinds of stuff, but you were 30lbs overweight. Do you not see how this is not doing you any good?

Guess I should have finished reading, because in previous posts you say you gave up dairy years ago... You were "freed" from dairy... oh wait... you still eat that too.

I know you think I pick on you, but I find your post disingenuous and contradictory.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
This is how I think about it:

Food should have some kind of nutrition in it. White bread does not have any, neither does white pasta, as far as I know, or white rice. And of course white sugar doesn't.

So, unless there is nothing else available and I'm starving, I don't eat "food" that does not contain any nutrition.

The more natural something is, the better. Although, of course I know that not every natural thing is edible!! But, in general, avoid the unnatural things as much as possible.

So deciding what to eat can be pretty simple. Except I don't worry too much about GMOs and pesticides, even though I should. It's just so darned hard to avoid them unless you live in the country and grow your own everything.

I think if you eat food that is relatively natural and contains nutrition (fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, etc.), your weight will always be normal.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
This is how I think about it:

Food should have some kind of nutrition in it. White bread does not have any, neither does white pasta, as far as I know, or white rice. And of course white sugar doesn't.

So, unless there is nothing else available and I'm starving, I don't eat "food" that does not contain any nutrition.

The more natural something is, the better. Although, of course I know that not every natural thing is edible!! But, in general, avoid the unnatural things as much as possible.

So deciding what to eat can be pretty simple. Except I don't worry too much about GMOs and pesticides, even though I should. It's just so darned hard to avoid them unless you live in the country and grow your own everything.

I think if you eat food that is relatively natural and contains nutrition (fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, etc.), your weight will always be normal.

I agree, to a point. I'm all about whole foods and nutritional value. I've done the low carb (less than 10 and 30) and my RA flared up so bad I was crippled. Tried it twice. My waist size DID go down though.

As an older person (50), I can eat a healthy moderate diet and still tend towards over weight (by my definition, never exceeded medical over weight guidelines).

For me? I stopped my Lyrica and dropped like ten pounds quick. What did I give up for the weight loss? My pain levels have gone up. Not horrible on a day to day basis... but if my husband lovingly squeezes my thigh? I squeal in pain.

When you get older, and have medical conditions it is a matter of balance. We all have our different give and takes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Both white rice and pasta are fortified. There are white/wheat pastas too. While I enjoy brown rice I love jasmine and basmati, both of which are white. I add beans to up the nutritional content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss